Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#870488 02/20/04 05:11 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Where'd Eric get the engine support - that had me a little worried about supporting it with just a jack.

I'll pull the flywheel and take it to the local tranny shop hopefully for a resurface, i was counting on being able to get it done quickly like when you want rotors turned???

I'm going to go down to the rental place to look for a tranny jack to avoid any "oops" while lowering the tranny.

Supposedly you can drop the subframe with only removing the axles from the tranny side - when the ball joint, tie rod and sway bar are disconnected and the strut nut is loosened 5 turns you can move the whole knuckle assmbly enough to get the axle out of the tranny - saves the ballbusting work of getting the axles out of the hub. I'll swing over to kragen to borrow there slide hammer deal to get the axles out of the tranny unless that's what you have.

Whats the beig star socket for? I have the torx bits for the rotors - I think I have a t45, 47 or 50 or something like that. Luckily ALL of my bolts have been pre-loosened from various projects (clutch 30k ago, y pipe last year, new sway links last year) so I'm not expeccting TOO much headache there.

well see - it's nice to be optimistic, I'm sure my bubble will burst tomorow or the day after

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
#870489 02/20/04 06:16 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Well, so it begins

Shes up in the air, no front wheels, no battery, no maf or air filter, no y pipe or cat. Also pulled the accesory and radiator splash gaurds.

Couple of distrubing thingss so far - my driver side tie rod end was FINGER TIGHT. Not the joint - the inside adjuster you align it with. I put my hand on it and it started to unscrew I blame the retards at Goodyear tire on Poway Rd that did my alignment for me last summer, unless the guys who put on my new tires last week decided to F with me??? Also looks like the tie rod end bolt is going to give me trouble - the bolt is spinning in the bore but the nuts not moving - I read a similar problem here so I'll search for the solution to that. Good thing about working with 80k old parts is you don't give a crap if you have to destroy them for removal, especially since BAT sells them for 18 each.

Also my accesory pulley seal is leaking - I'll probably put off fixing that 'till another day, and it looks like I dripping a teeny bit off coolant from the new (20k old) metal impellar W/P weep hole - no drop in coolant level in months but I do see a drip coming off the bottom - makes me nervous since there are people here on there 5th pump for a rash of leaking out the weep hole.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
#870490 02/20/04 06:15 PM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
both tie rods off, gonna have to get some new ones

off to sea world before it rains...

#870491 02/20/04 11:29 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
"I think I have a t45, 47 or 50 or something like that.""
thats all you need. and with a axel puller getting the axels out of the hub is no problem at all. Its accualy an axel pusher anyways if you need it i can bring it over tomorow. and eric got the motor hanger thingy from mitch's work. and if you have a big enough jack its not hard to pul;l the tranny. I dont think you need a tranny jack. its not that heavy, two guys can easy carry it. and ounce all the bolts are off its real eazy to just slide a screwdriver in to break the seal and the whole thing tranny just pops off.
Why am i telling you all this, you have already done a clutch.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
#870492 02/21/04 02:35 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
No - I paid to have it done last time, so this is all new for me. Just makes things easier that someone else got to break up the 50-60000 miles of NY road salt rusted up bolts first :-)

You probably be all hung over tomorow from Erics party - so whenever you can make it by is cool. Why don't you bring the axle puller over just in case.

I'll be in working on it all day, If you need a phone number to give me a call let me know and I'll PM you.

#870493 02/21/04 03:17 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
erics party is tomorow night so i dont think im gonna be hung over before the party(of course stranger things have happened) Anyways yea pm your # i might still have in my address book but shoot me it just in case.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
#870494 02/21/04 05:48 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Well, the a-arm pinch bolts are out and the a-arms are 1/2 way out (got yelled at for banging too loud), the sway bar links are disconnected. The radiator is tied up and the lower radiator supports are off. Also the fender supports are removed.

Tomorow morning should be:

support the engine/tranny with jack, drain the p/s from the cooler lines, remove PS gear pinch bolt, remove shift rod pinch bolt and shift stabiler nut and the lower roll restrictors. Then the subframe should be ready to come down

After that it's "just" the tranny and assorted tranny stuff that needs to be disconnected (clutch line, starter, back up light, vss, speedo). Maybe I'll be able to get all that done in the morning too. Hopefully when people show up to help we can do all the two man removal stuff pretty quick so I don't hold you up too long.

Then if eveything goes PERFECTLY (ie my clutch does show up tomorow, I get the flywheel off before the shop closes to get it resurfaced, I get a new tie rod end...) I can start putting stuff together on Sunday. I have some friends from work on notice that I may be calling for a favor - so if I get stuck for help I can get them over. Even if it draags into the week I'll just have the wife chaufer me around for a bit

#870495 02/21/04 07:55 PM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S

okay - i'm stuck on the STUPIDEST thing

There is a pinch bolt that holds the shift rod to the tranny, once it's out the tranny side rod "just slides right out" of the shifter side u-joint sleeve.

Well - the damn rod is frozen solid in there, and there is no way the sub frame / tranny is going anywhere untill it's removed.

Maybe a good fire wrench would help? I suppose it's off to the store to look for a cheap propane torch...

S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
solved that one - fire wrench and creative leverage points.

Eric and Dub - the steering gear pinch bolt, was yours a small bolt with a torx head? How did you manage to reach it, and once the pinch bolt is out do you do anything else or will the colum seperate from the rack smoothly when you drop the subframe?

Looks like I'm waiting on a tie rod end so no way it'll be ready for monday, but I'm hoping tomorow is more productive than today.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
It steering will come right apart once the bolt is out. If the steering comes apart in side the car, mine did, it is 4 bolts to undue the steering column and put it back together. Yeah it was a torks also.

Just a Plain SE. AKA Big Country I maybe path914's B**** now, but wait until he needs his clutch done. We will see WHO is WHO's B**** then!
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard