Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
I just can't believe this crap. This is now my fifth water pump that has started leaking. This last pump was the Ford replacement pump and housing. The Ford dealership replaced it this time so it's under their warranty. I posted on Jan 09 the last time it started leaking. I've had two advance auto water pumps fail and now two ford water pumps. The ford mechanic tested the system pressure and everything looked ok. My engine is running at normal temperature and the motor is purring like a kitten. Anybody got any idea's cause this is really getting old? All the pumps fail the same way. They start seeping antifreeze out of the seepage hole on the bottom of the pump. The first pump that went bad disintegrated and as a result destroyed my motor. Ah that would make 6 water pumps if you include that one.

Regards,
Dave Anderson

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Dave: over the years (the old days) the water pumps on car had a metal impeller... back then the only thing that would go wrong with a w/pump was the seal in the shaft and the coolant would leak out of the weep hole(the little hole under the pump.... the times it had happend to me was like when i did not have any coolant, just water in the vehicle, or when i had the fan belt too tight as it would put too much force on the shaft and mess up the bearing in there and the seal would leak.. i once use some cleaner for the coolant system to get rid of the crap in the radiator to keep the temperature down in the coolant system... the next day the weep hole was leaking so i must have messed up the seal in the pump with the cleaner for the system......
Do you have a clean coolant system??? do you run it with just water in the coolant system??? is the belt on the pump too tight??? this is what you have to look for...

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D

Do you have a clean coolant system??? do you run it with just water in the coolant system??? is the belt on the pump too tight??? this is what you have to look for...

I have never used any cleaner in my system and the system was flushed a while back so I have fresh antifreeze in my system. 50/50 mix. The belt is easy enough to take off by just pressing on the pulley with your hand so it can't be to tight, if anything it's on the loose side by the way the tensioner was designed.

DaveNC

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Dave, what do the broken pumps look like when you remove them? I mean are the impellers okay & such.
Any visible signs of damage or warpage?

The only thing I can think of is the mounting surface between the pump & block is faulty, or now not flat anymore...

How often has Ford changed it for you. That would be a good place to start and investigation to see why you keep getting failures. A complete history of your waterpump problems (shown to the shop manager) might go a long way towards solving the problem..

Good luck!

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Sounds like a bad pump housing.I replaced my pump with
an AIRTEX water pump from napa auto parts.AIRTEX sells
pumps with steal propeller and not the factory plastic.
These pumps often go bad with no sound at all,but the
car will over heat!

New Pics of OUTKAST 1!Sept2006
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Mine went by the impeller breaking, partly due to crud in the coolant. If you have scaling or something else producing repeated coolant contamination perhaps that could be doing it.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I have a few guesses:

There may be a piece of debris from one of the old water pumps that circulates through the system & "shocks" the water pump when it goes through the impeller. Flush the ^%*& out of it in every direction/orafice you can think of.

Check to be sure the cam pully is spinning true. If that is not dead straight, it can put added stresses on the pump shaft/bearing - especially at higher RPMs.

Could there be an air pocket in the area of the pump? Stupid BMW I have would stop circulating coolant unless you paid a great tribute to the BMW cooling God & bled the system, your veins, & your wallet all over the engine bay.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
5th? Thats kinda strange... many people who own a Duratec can go awhile without their water pump falling apart...

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I have a guess but its pretty bad news, I work fro firestone and recently threw 4 waterpumps at a 96 duratec, until we found the headgasket was leaking and allowing pressure to build up int he waterpump and bam it blew
which would show signs of blowing first a big mean headgasket or a wimpy paper waterpump gasket... I hope this isnt your case but it is surely a possibility

Derek Johnson 88 TurboTBird 32psi, t3/t4 bb 50trim, megasquirt, 3 bar map, 50lb inj, roller cam w adj. gear, header, 3" downpipe and full exhaust, gutted intake manifolds, spec stg 3 95SE 3L gone
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
Dave, what do the broken pumps look like when you remove them? I mean are the impellers okay & such.
Any visible signs of damage or warpage?

The only thing I can think of is the mounting surface between the pump & block is faulty, or now not flat anymore...

How often has Ford changed it for you. That would be a good place to start and investigation to see why you keep getting failures. A complete history of your waterpump problems (shown to the shop manager) might go a long way towards solving the problem..

Good luck!

The pumps look ok. They just start leaking out of the seepage hole. The impellers look great. Funny thing is you can almost time when it going to happen. The two advance auto water pumps started leaking exactly two weeks after I installed them. The two ford pumps started leaking 4 weeks after they were installed. Almost to the day.

The Ford place changed it the last time with the whole assembly including the housing.

The bearings in the water pumps are still real tight when they go bad. They still have plenty of tension when you turn them by hand. I've looked at the belt turning when I replaced the pumps the first few times and they appear to be turning straight so that rules out the pulley and tensioner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard