Next Thread
Print Thread
#865629 02/08/04 12:33 AM
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
Let me start off with a little background. A few weeks ago my car (2000 SVT 54,000 miles) started having this problem. Car would run fine right up to about 4800 rpm then it would seem to fall on its face power wise. I lived with this for a while...but then it got worse. Much worse. It is to the point now that I can hardly drive it because it will not accelerate. When it does cooperate, in the higher rpm ranges it spits and studderrs to the point that I have to shift gears. I can't run it out to redline because of this. At first it feels like somebody is clamping the fuel line shut ( as the power falls off) and then the car bucks and studders like the injectors stop getting fuel period.

I started with the obvious, and changed the fuel filter, no fix. Next I tried more drastic means and changed the fuel pump. Pulled the pump assembly and it was disgusting so i cleaned all that up before replacing into tank. STILL no fix. The car never gave me any codes until yesterday. It tells me "fuel rail presure sensor circuit malfunction." At least now I have an idea of what is going on. But am still in the dark. So here are my questions:

1) Is this Fuel rail pressure sensor located directly before the fuel rail? Is it the small part of the Fuel injector harness that plugs into the fuel line and has a small red vacum line coming out of the bottom?
2) Am I even on the right track being under the impression that it is a fuel delivery problem?
3) Has anybody out there in Contour Land had similar troubles and what corrective measures/actions did you take?
4) Does anybody want to buy a f!@ed up SVT? ok just kiddig about #4. I Love my 'Tour

2000 csvt #1553 Black/Tan
#865630 02/08/04 02:27 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The sensor should be located on the rail itself just after the inlet hose connector. It should have a three-wire connector.

It may well be a fuel delivery problem, only a fuel pressure guage will confirm that.

It might also be a secondary ignition system problem, ie, plugs, wires, etc.

It would also help if you post the exact code number you scanned.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
#865631 02/08/04 06:42 PM
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
I can't remember what the code was. i belive that it was P0191 or at least something like that. What the scan tool gave me (in quotes in first post) does not actually match any of the codes in the FAQ. I am so tired at this point. I am ready to go trade it in on an Audi S4. oh yeah, the plugs and wires are both new. It also threw another code this morning on the way to work. P1518 Manf. Cntrl. Veh. Spd. Idle Speed Control Auxillary Inputs? However the FAQ says that this code is a stuck secondary? Whats the deal?

Last edited by zm830101; 02/08/04 06:48 PM.

2000 csvt #1553 Black/Tan

Link Copied to Clipboard