Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by PaulDaJedi:
hmmm seems likelots of people start to make these then go nowhere with them. I am giving up on waiting and just havint sombdoy box all 4 rear control arms heheh

I hope they know how to weld. The stock forward arms are very thin and will warp like hell most likely. I haven't had the time to make the forward ones yet. I still need a good way to attach the sway bar to the round tube correctly and solidly.

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
I hope they know how to weld. The stock forward arms are very thin and will warp like hell most likely. I haven't had the time to make the forward ones yet. I still need a good way to attach the sway bar to the round tube correctly and solidly.

I am currently having (3) sets of billet aluminum sway bar mounts CNCed for me along with (3) sets of billet aluminum control arms. I designed the parts for my Contours, but I am also having an extra set made for a friend (providing he will sign a liability waiver).

I considered offering the parts in a â??one time only Group Buyâ?, but because we live in such a litigious society Iâ??m not going to make the control arms for anyone except me and maybe one friend. I may offer the billet aluminum sway bar mounts for sale to those with enough skill and ambition to build their own control arms, but even that would be dependant on whether or not the outside diameter of their control arms matches the inside diameter of my sway bar mounts. In addition, anyone using my sway bar mounts would have to either build their own adjustable sway bar end links or buy a set from me. And you can believe me when I say that none of this has been cheap. I have got to be nuts to be spending this much money on a Ford!

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Well -you might not be that crazy to make a group buy seeming that you would be the only provider at the moment!

Sho Shop- not available!
Ford-back order until who knows when!
BAT- I'm not sure the quality! Can't get a response from anyone.

I'm needing a set or rear control arms(thin one/toe) and am having trouble finding any.

Just a thought, but it mighty benifit you or at least someone.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Ooh ... and there's me just thinking I should do this on my new car. Damned perfect timing to read this possibility!!

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by SCSVT:
I need a set or rear control arms (thin one/toe) and am having trouble finding any.

Contact Bradness; he makes those.

As I said, we live in a highly litigious society so I wonâ??t make the (forward) control arms for anyone except me. I am not a mechanical or structural engineer and I donâ??t have access to the facilities required to test my control arms, so I canâ??t be sure that they will hold up in every situation and/or condition that a CEGer may throw at them. Iâ??m sure that if someone were injured or killed because one of my control arms failed I would be sued. Being sued is only part of the reason though; Iâ??m not sure I could live with my self if someone were injured or killed because of me.

On the other hand, Iâ??ve never heard of someone crashing because of a broken sway bar mount. For that reason I MAY consider selling my billet aluminum sway bar mounts.

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
This (litigation) is something that was foremost in my mind when I first considered building rr control arms. The fact that I decided to build toe control arms instead of the main control arms reflects this. The main control arms handle most of the lateral loads at the rear of the car.

The other problem was how to attach an end link to a tube. I've seen tubular Focus arms with end link attachments but they were less than impressive. Plus a Focus weighs a lot less than our cars so suspension loads are less.

Good luck NVSVT. Let us know how they work out.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
Ummm i read the whole thing and unfortulately i couldnt view any of the pictures cause im on slow @$$ dialup so it it these?

1995 Mystique, 2.5 V6, MTX, 2.5 inch Exhaust tubing, Vibrant Highflow CAT, Vibrant 2.5 Resonator, Magnaflow Muffler, SVT cams, Ebay Intake *YAWN*, HELLA 550's. THE FINAL LAP Is my New Best Friend!
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
I believe those are the ones. The pic look likes a Homer Simpson drawing.

98 CSVT Black Alpine CDA 7995 Memphis 1000D & Alpine MRV T302 2 Orion 12's HPP Rear Strut Bar
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
That drawing is incomplete. There are two sets of arms that lie in the same plane - you need to specify front or rear control arm. This thread encompasses discussions about all three arms: front transverse arm, rear transverse arm, and the longitudinal arm. The one that does the most work is the front transverse arm. This arm is the U-crosssection piece that provides caber control. An adjustable arm there would provide camber adjustability in the rear, as well as less flex in the rear suspension. The difficulties with this arm are because it bears so much load, and needs to have the swaybar link attatched to it. No one wants to make such a safety critical part. The toe control links, that is, the rear transverse links, run from the wheel to the subframe as well, and are much thinner. The adjustability is lousy, but good enough, I think. Tubular members would compliment tubular arms in the front position to provide a more laterally rigid suspension. The longitudinal arms are plenty stiff enough, but have soft bushings like the other arms. They are also very heavy, and while a tubular fab could be difficult, increasing the control of toe under bump; reducing bind; and losing weight might make it worth adding that member to a complete tubular rear.

But no one is actually offering anything for sale.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
wow that would be mint to replace all of those with stronger units. ya the drawing was like a 2 second thing and sorry i couldn't do a 3d rendition for you but im not an artist, i make pizza thats all.

But anyways i would be interested as well cause im currently driving with a bent one and it causes some crazy stuff in the winter. I bent it by drifting to wide on a corner and tapping a curb, and realy it was just a tap but it folded like paper. Silly stamped steel garbage.

I was actualy thinking about creating my own but i aint no math genious and i work too much so i would never have the time.

1995 Mystique, 2.5 V6, MTX, 2.5 inch Exhaust tubing, Vibrant Highflow CAT, Vibrant 2.5 Resonator, Magnaflow Muffler, SVT cams, Ebay Intake *YAWN*, HELLA 550's. THE FINAL LAP Is my New Best Friend!
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard