Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
When you install a larger sway bar on your car you should reinforce the sub-frame, whether you install new control arms or not.

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
*sigh* I thought there was an update.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
So I'm guessing these will be better than the others offered in the group buy for the tubular control arms. What advantages will these have. I have the koni's with rousch lowering springs right now. Will this help at getting my car aligned. This is just my street car but I drive it everyday like I'm in the Indy 500..lol.. ...I went through 2 engines in 2 months. If that gives you an idea...lol.Also I own a 2000 v6 mtx cougar...I'm guessing these will work for me also. Let me know. Thanks alot!

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Hey...Can you make a set of front tubular control arms too?... .Hate the wheel hop...n it will just get worse when I drop in that big 3.0 with the turbo . That would be great...been wanting a set but Gforce said they won't be making them till later this year..

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
a 3L turbo ain't gonna hop its gonna spin! foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......................

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
These are different, not better or worse, than the "toe control arms". Look at your rr suspension and you'll see 3 arms per side, 2 lateral arms and 1 logitudinal. The arms Brad Noon is contemplating making are the forward rear control arms (Ford-speak). They take the majority of the rear suspension loads and the sway bar is attached to them.

Once you've lowered your car the camber setting is likely way outside the factory tolerance. My 95 at stock ride height was outside factory tolerance for camber! To date, there is no way of adjusting rear camber.

Even if Brad could build enough adjustment in to the main control arms you'll still need a set of adjustable toe control arms to match, otherwise your toe settings will be out of whack. My (rough) calculations show that you'll need and extra .25" for .5 degree of camber change.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
I checked with Brad Noon and he indicated that his intention is to make both the forward control arms AND the trailing arms. The forward and trailing arms will both be fabricated out of aluminum and he will also be making custom CNCd, billet aluminum sway bar mounts. However, before he can go any further he needs to have someone loan him a car so he can take the required measurements. If I recall correctly, DemonSVT was supposed to be providing his car for the measurements.

I would loan him one of my cars, but Las Vegas is a loooooong way away.

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Fabricating the trailing arms won't make a speck of difference to the toe settings. He needs to make both lateral arms for the rr suspension. The trailing arms are longitudinal.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by Bradness:
Fabricating the trailing arms won't make a speck of difference to the toe settings. He needs to make both lateral arms for the rear suspension. The trailing arms are longitudinal.

You�re correct. The Contour has (4) transverse lower control arms and (2) longitudinal links; NO trailing arms at all. I used the wrong term to describe the REAR transverse lower control arms.

Months ago Brad indicated to me that he was going to make all (4) transverse lower control arms, but I haven't seen anything here for a very long time and I'm beginning to think this is dead!

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Now we're getting in to semantics.... Trailing or leading arms, their long axis is frt to rr.

Now I looked into doing tubular forward rr control arms 2-3 years ago. I spoke in depth to a stock car builder and he assured me that simply boxing in the existing stockers would be just as strong as custom built tubular ones. Then on our cars you have the problem of somehow connecting the sway bar via end link to a round tube. Basically, you will have to make a custom end link also.

I simply boxed the stockers and replaced the rubber bushings with machined solid alloy ones (or I coulda' used polyurethane). IMO, aluminum at the rr of the car is overkill as the heavy end is the front and that's where you should be looking for weight savings.

Can the stockers be made adjustable too? Quite possibly-I'm looking into it via a set of offset bushings. The problem is the factory tolerance on our cars is terrible. Add in dropped rr suspensions and it becomes a real nightmare!

The other problem here is that replacing the forward rr control arms entails dropping the subframe. It can be done, but not really a job for the unitiated.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard