Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Redneck Troll
OP Offline
Redneck Troll
B
As the title says... Adjustable rear control arms... Any interest? Polished aluminum most likely, with rod ends in varying grades/expenses for racing.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Yes

Z
Z
I would not recommend aluminum. Cro-moly steel would be better. This would include all the hardware to space the heim joint correctly in the rear subframe correct? What ballpark price are you talking about?

I've already boxed in the forward arms in preperation of making adjustable rear arms.

Long time CEG'er back again. Fast 95 SE Faster VW's Hardcore VW Forums
B
Redneck Troll
OP Offline
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by Zip-Zap-Pow!:
I would not recommend aluminum. Cro-moly steel would be better. This would include all the hardware to space the heim joint correctly in the rear subframe correct? What ballpark price are you talking about?

I've already boxed in the forward arms in preperation of making adjustable rear arms.

The aluminum has a tensile pullout strength constant of over 19,000 pounds and a compression strength of over 80,000. A huge pothole has 4 times the load bearing strength for each wheel. 4,000 pound car = 1,000 pounds per wheel times 4 = 4,000 load = less than 4.5 times the constant... That's also good to over 4 lateral G's. Granted, your car will handle better, but not that much better! You wish! The only reason to go with steel over aluminum is if you're planning on an off road rally event!

Circle track racers use aluminum, drag cars use aluminum, many street cars use aluminum. It's mostly a matter of keeping 1" minimum threads entered on the rod ends...

The target price is around $150 per pair for the entry level ones and around $250 or so for the ones with heavy duty rod ends (last up to ten times longer). This will include all bolts/spacers/etc needed for installation. Powder coating will most likely be an upgrade option too through Buckshot Motorsports (he's here in town).

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Will they fit on the 99-00 Cougars??

- Rich LBC Performance Motorsports Group/AMSOIL '98 Cougar V6 ATX aka 'Candy Striper' Photos
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Brad, any way you could come up with some front control arms (horizonal style bushings)? I know TH was working on them at one point.

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
B
Redneck Troll
OP Offline
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by mr_froge:
Will they fit on the 99-00 Cougars??

My guess is yes, they would work. I know the Cougars share most, if not all, of their suspension with the tours.

Originally posted by Trogdor Burninator:
Brad, any way you could come up with some front control arms (horizonal style bushings)? I know TH was working on them at one point.

Nope. Front suspension is much harder to fabricate and prone to failure because it involves welding. The rear bars I'm making are easier to failsafe because they're already tested for strength and will be unaltered from initial design (straight rod, no welding). If I made front arms, I would have to test those welds to make sure I wouldn't kill someone.

<Possability> I will be having spherical adjustable links for the sway bars too though, which *should* work on all four corners. </Possability>

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I would buy a set.

I installed poly bushings in the stock ones and IMO it made no difference. Well other then the fact the bushings will never rot away.

The stock control arms are just too structurally weak to notice any difference in bushing material. I even added a few more insulators to help to no avail.

I was already planning to remove them (when it's warmer ) and fill them with 94A urethane casting compound (I.E. soft rock ) like I did the front control arms & roll resistors.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Redneck Troll
OP Offline
Redneck Troll
B
Good. All I have to do is get some measurements and these will be started... Stock arm center to center is what I need in case someone can get it quicker than I can. I have to find time to go over to Buckshot's house to measure his since my test mule is long gone...

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by bnoon:
Good. All I have to do is get some measurements and these will be started... Stock arm center to center is what I need in case someone can get it quicker than I can. I have to find time to go over to Buckshot's house to measure his since my test mule is long gone...

What, you mean you don't need 30 confirmed buyers with cash up front? What are you, a real entrepreneur?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard