Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Yes, there will be a code other person is wrong. I sometimes have O/D off light in morning, my light wasnt on when I had it scanned.

J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
The car is in the shop right now. Will there still be a code stored even though I had the battery out for a hour after the one episode I had with the O/D light flashing? John

1998 ContourLX V6 ATX Cats Gutted+MIL Eliminators Grandma gave me the finger
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Yes, there will be a code other person is wrong. I sometimes have O/D off light in morning, my light wasnt on when I had it scanned.

Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Someone said that before and I have said before it is [censored].

I get O/D off light sometimes in the morning I get code PO731 1st gear shift ratio incorrect.

The light wasnt blinking when I had it scanned and the guy that did it used an OBD II.

Looking back at my response, I will say now that I should have said, "...the codes that come up when the overdrive light blinks cannot always be read durning the standard KOEO tests." So, with all due respect I correct myself there.

But hang on... I am going to do some reading real quick!

Alright! To clear this up....

By definition...
Diagnostic Trouble Code -
An alpha/numeric identifier for a fault condition identified by the OBD system, and accessed through the vehicle data-stream.
Diagnostic Trouble Codes are commonly described as "Hard" or "SOFT". "Hard" codes are those which currently exist on the vehicle. "Soft" codes are those which have occurred on the vehicle, but are not occurring at the present time. "Soft" codes are sometimes known as "Historic Codes".

Now with that little bit of info under our belt! There are times that our PCM will decided if it should place a fault into memory or not.

Ex. P0420 - This fault has to actually happen two times within a given drive cycle for the PCM to place it into memory. Only then will the CEL light up, showing that a code is stored.

Another Ex. Overheating Transmission - This is a fault that most likely will not set a fault code. That is unless your TFT actually takes a nose dive! Once the PCM detects the fault, it allows another program to take over all transmission operations called a "Fail Safe".

Line pressure is another situation withing the transmission, that is monitored, but a CEL will not illuminate when these conditions occur. Only the O/D will flash.

Also, you do not scan a car's PCM with OBD-II. OBD-II is a industry standard that all vehicle manufactors must comply with, for monitoring powertrain control systems.

The way our PCM's think and make a decision is very complex. No, I do not fully understand it all. But I do know enough about the system to know when to tell someone to just go ahead and take their car to the shop and when they might have a fighting chance at fixing it themselves.

Last edited by unisys12; 01/20/04 03:08 AM.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Delayed shifting can also be caused by the TPS, MAF, or vacuum leaks.

Presumably you would notice some lag in engine response.

A vacuum leak skews the MAF response which is used in conjunction with the TPS signal to calculate engine load. Increased engine load delays shifting to higher RPMs.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Update. Called tranny mechanic and he said something about bad disks? I'm down here in Mexico so I'm not quite sure what else he said. Any idea what are these disk.? He quoted me 230 dollars labor. Thanks, John

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
i sometimes get a flashing O/D light when the tranny is very cold on a below freezing day

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by jmatzick:
Update. Called tranny mechanic and he said something about bad disks? I'm down here in Mexico so I'm not quite sure what else he said. Any idea what are these disk.? He quoted me 230 dollars labor. Thanks, John

He is talking about you clutch disks. Most likely the clutch material has worn away for whatever reason. If he can do it for $230 labor, that sounds pretty good. Most shops charge that just to pull the tranny and tear into it.

Keep up updated as to what the outcome is and any updates along the way!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
i sometimes get a flashing O/D light when the tranny is very cold on a below freezing day

I'll see if I can find anything about that. I will let ya know when I find something.

J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Clutch? But its an automatic.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by jmatzick:
Clutch? But its an automatic.

Yes, an automatic has clutches and bands to connect and disconnect the power in the drivetrain so that the gears can be changed.

It is just - automatic!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard