Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
5point1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Unless I can figure the damn problem out today or tomorrow, my sisters car will be towed to the dealer she bought it from, and will be trader back-in to get a different car.

I just had the car towed to my mechanic who has been working on cars for 30 years, and even HE cannot figure out what the hell is going on with the car. I have been trying to diagnose it for almost 2 weeks now.

I've replaced the plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, IAC valve, PCV valve, and verified that the EGR is working perfectly and had the ICM verified by machine that it is working perfectly.

I've made a few posts already but just to sum it up:

The car starts, idles to 3000 RPMs, tries to come back down below 1500 RPMs, starts shaking and backfiring, and stalls. Sometimes in 1 second, sometimes it will keep reving itself back up and down for 30 seconds until it eventually just gives-up and dies.

The only other thing I MAY do is substitute another PCM to see if it makes a difference. Why? Because I've tried a whole bunch of things to try and get a CHECK ENGINE light/code but am not able to.

I've pumped the EGR with 10" of vacuum to open it completely with the engine running at cold idle, and I get no light. I disconnect the IAC and get no light. I disconnect the MAF Sensor and get no light.

This just boggles my mind...and I've already had too many headaches trying to figure it out that I'm just about to give up all together...

Just lettin' you all that tried to help me know whats going on...and that I thank you all for your input:)

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I don't know what year you have....but check the wiring leading to your PCM, passenger side goint into the firewall. Is the insulation cracking or flaking off. Look at the rest of the wiring under the hood is the insulation flaking or cracking...I had a devil of a time with my car starting and then dieing out, sometimes would start fine other times it seemed like a different car. went ahead and removed intake manifolds for cleaning, etc. and found that the insulation to my injectors was completly gone. Also the insulation going to the pcm at the firewall was also flaking and or gone. When I pinched the wires at the wires leading into the firwall the car started perfectly and ran fine. Had the wiring replaced under warranty.

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Can you give us more information? Year, Model, Engine type, etc?

5point1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Quote:

Can you give us more information? Year, Model, Engine type, etc?

Sorry:)

It's a 1995 Ford Contour with the 2.5L It has 91,000 Miles(146,000 Kilometers).

I'm racking my brain right now searching ALL over the web trying to find similar symptoms and solutions...but am pretty much drawing blanks:(

I pretty much think it HAS to be wiring or PCM related...how else can disconnecting the IAC, TPS, MAF, and pumping Open the EGR valve NOT produce a corresponding DTC???

I know there's that EEC Relay thing, but I don't think that could be it...because when I do the KOEO Self-Test, I still get the stupid DPFE Sensor voltage below minimum test value of 0.2 volts, but KNOW that this is not the actual cause of the problem..plus the DPFE code is just a Memory code...the Check Engine light is not on at all when the engine is running(only by reving the engine).

THANKS AGAIN!

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
My wiring problems was with a 95 contour 2.5L. The wiring is under warranty to 100,000 miles. Check your wiring......is it flaking or gone?

Bob

5point1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Quote:

My wiring problems was with a 95 contour 2.5L. The wiring is under warranty to 100,000 miles. Check your wiring......is it flaking or gone?

Hell YEAH!! It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen...from where I was able to view without removing anything, I could see the IAC connector, MAF connector, Ignition Coil connector, and TPS connector all look like someone stripped or cut-up the wires just before the plastic connector part...

I'm wondering...if two of those wires ever touched, say the MAF VPWR and MAF RTN for example, would that short-out the PCM or anything??

I'm having it towed to a Ford dealer on Monday to try and get the wiring done for Free under the Recall/Campaign...I even printed out 57 pages of info covering the ENTIRE thing...this way they can't try and lie to me about something...Ford Co. says it will take 7.7 hours to replace them on a 2.5L Auto w/ABS...man I would HATE to be the tech that has to do it!!! It looks extremely hard and time consuming!!

THANKS AGAIN!:)

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Make sure they replace ALL the wiring under the hood. The dealer tried to take shortcuts and I had to contact the area Ford Rep to make the Dealer comply....... No one wants to tell you about ther wiring since it is a pain in the ASS to replace and is a big job. After mine was done it worked like a champ. Make sure you have them replace the wiring going to the fuel injectors too - that harness if about 500 dollars all by itself if it wasn't under warranty.

Let us know how it goes! Ford used cheap wiring in these cars to save money...upper management decision...had their head in a ivory dark place to say the least!
Glad I could help!

Regards,
Bob T.

Last edited by btrautman; 01/18/04 01:41 AM.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 5point1:
I'm wondering...if two of those wires ever touched, say the MAF VPWR and MAF RTN for example, would that short-out the PCM or anything??

The PCM has protection against some things like that. How extensive it is I don't know.

Worst case scenario, get the dealer to replace all the harnesses and if it does turn out the PCM is screwed and they won't replace it (although they should since it'd be collateral damage from the wiring harnesses), get one from a wrecking yard for $50.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Brian,

If any components are damaged because of the wiring, it is covered under the warranty.

Regards,
Bob

H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
Check the upper and lower intake manifolds. The gaskets may be leaking. Too much air leaks in screwing up the air/fuel mixture. Mine is currently doing that now and I can see the gaskets are a little warped. I've got about 98k on it now and I think that's basically about it for me too, so it was fun while it lasted. Time for me to start looking for a new car.

'95 Contour LX V6 ATX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard