Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#843125 01/14/04 08:28 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Ok, heres the scoop. i went to use my car a few days ago and drove down the driveway and pulled over, as soon as i pulled over it stalled. and CEL came on. so i started back up and when i was shifting thru the P,R,N,D,2,1 it would try to stall. and when i gave it gas it sounded like marbles in the engine ! i just had my oil changed like 2 weeks ago. so i had my gf bring me to work. then next day i brought it to autozone so they can pull the CEL code. well i had to gas and brake at stop lights/signs otherwise she would stall. so i got it there and they checked it and it said that i needed a new CPS (Cam shaft position sensor). so on my way home i got halfway there and she sounded liek there was marbles in the engine again. then it stalled in an intersection of course!!! i couldnt get it started back up, and if i did and put it in Drive id give it gas and it barely went and i just heard lots of noise coming from the engine (like rocks or marble sound)...so i got it towed home (good ol AAA). so i ordered the CPS that day, picked it up the next, put it in yesterday and the car didnt even start. i know my starters working cause its trying to kick over. but its not going at all..... does anyone have any similar experiences or could give me some advice so i dont have to pay out the butt for a mechanic? im taking a guess and hoping its my fuel pump went or something, i heard they go after 60k or somewhere around there?? the d()()d at autozone said there was one more code but he couldnt read it, only ford dealership can supposedly... so im hoping the CPS was the problem w. the marble sound and the other is something fairly cheap.... any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks guys!!

'99 ČoňtôúŔ SE Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 AudioBahn AW1206T Flame Q Sub AudioBahn 1300HCQ Amp Blue LED Switches and HVAC
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I replaced my CPS a while ago, but I don't really remember it's malfunction causing any strange sounds. It's cheap and easy to diy, though.

Old car: '98 SVT T-Red K&N air filter; Ford Focus RS shift knob. Off to be auctioned off somewhere. New car: 2003 Honda Accord DX Sedan, 5-speed.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I proffer this one to more learned CEGers...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by MassContour:
I replaced my CPS a while ago, but I don't really remember it's malfunction causing any strange sounds. It's cheap and easy to diy, though.

Yea it was easy to change, but my car still dont work

'99 ČoňtôúŔ SE Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 AudioBahn AW1206T Flame Q Sub AudioBahn 1300HCQ Amp Blue LED Switches and HVAC
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by DankBud:
it stalled. and CEL came on

You know that this is normal, right? Happens all the time in my SVT when I kill it. Its only if the CEL stays on after you restart the engine that there's a problem. You didn't specifically mention that, so I'm just trying to make sure.

the d()()d at autozone said there was one more code but he couldnt read it, only ford dealership can supposedly

That sounds fishy. I've never heard of that, but I haven't had too many CELs myself. My OBD-II scanner should be able to collect any code stored by the computer; at least I expect it to. Then again I've heard of stranger things.

The rest of your problem, except for the rattling, sounds like a bad IAC. Still, you say the rattling only happens when you give it gas, i.e. you open up the throttle. Sounds intake related.

This is a stab in the dark, and there are people way more qualified than me to help you, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I'm hoping at least something here will be of help to you, but its not highly educated.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I'm curious. What happens if you try to start the car in Neutral, and give it gas? I'm wondering if this problem could be your Torque Converter.

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by zgendron:
I'm curious. What happens if you try to start the car in Neutral, and give it gas? I'm wondering if this problem could be your Torque Converter.

Well im not sure if its that but ill check. what should/shouldnt it do if it was/wasnt the TC? i had AAMCO rebuild my tranny 6 months ago, last month they had to put in a new celiniod (not sure how to spell it). do u think this is a tranny problem? im still under warranty thru AAMCO (btw, NEVER go there. its a ripoff!)

D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by hetfield:
Its only if the CEL stays on after you restart the engine that there's a problem.

yea the CEL is on even when the car did start and was acting up....

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by zgendron:

Well im not sure if its that but ill check. what should/shouldnt it do if it was/wasnt the TC? i had AAMCO rebuild my tranny 6 months ago, last month they had to put in a new celiniod (not sure how to spell it). do u think this is a tranny problem? im still under warranty thru AAMCO (btw, NEVER go there. its a ripoff!)

The TC can stick in the locked position and cause these symptoms. But IIRC, you would get a code of something like PO743.

When you try to crank the car, now that you have the new CPS installed, does the engine turn over normally or does it seem strianed? Strianed, as in, seems like something is keeping it from turning.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
ummm this is kinda hard to answer. it tries to start but is having trouble, as if its outa gas or something (thats why iwas wondering if it could be a fuel pump....) when i took off my wheel b4 i think i noticed something that was broke, im not positive. but it was like a cicular black piece of plastic that was behind one of the belt wheels, it looked like it went into the engine a bit and where it came out it looked cracked. but i could be wrong, i wish i knew more about motors so u guys have some kind of idea about what im talking about....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard