Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
#831020 12/30/03 06:38 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Hector, you can look anytime you want, buying is a whole 'nother animal! Test drives are ok, too, as long as you know the salesperson.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
#831021 12/30/03 08:40 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
What, exactly, is tunning?

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#831022 12/31/03 02:00 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
What, exactly, is tunning?

Tunning is basically makeing a few runs to get a base line. Then you take those numbers, along with other informationaly items such as the A/F (air/fuel ratio), and makeing adjustments to the car to improve those numbers.

Let's say you got yourself some cam gears installed. You would make a few runs to get your baseline information about HP, Torque and your A/F. You then install your gears and set them to a base setting. Make a run or two to get an idea of where you are. Make some adjusts and continue until you have reached an "optimium" setting that allows you to reach a goal with your HP, TQ & A/F.

You might hear a lot of chatter about needing to go "tune" or "not running it hard until they tune it" from guys that have 3L Hybrids and F/I'ed beast around here. Most of all of them are running a custom burned (or tuned) chip in their ECM. What they will do is get their baseline, then begin to tweak all sorts of settings for things like the MAF sensor and injector pulse's, timing, etc... etc... What they will do is tweak things, by looking at exhaust gas temps and the A/F to find a "optimium" setting for all parameters that will allow for the proper A/F ratio (which by the way, was quickly found to be the killer of many of the first F/I'ed & 3L's around here) coupled with happy mix of HP and TQ. These settings are then burned into the chip, allowing for a custom tune.

I hope I was able to answer that without going too over bored.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#831023 12/31/03 05:10 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
*psst* It's spelled tuning *psst*

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
#831024 12/31/03 08:25 AM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
Hector, you can look anytime you want, buying is a whole 'nother animal! Test drives are ok, too, as long as you know the salesperson.

No.....deciding and working out a deal.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
#831025 01/05/04 04:40 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I know im definately interested!! Let me know how bad mny car is runnin right now too, lol. Thank gawd im gettin headers next month, maybve march..depends on tax returns!! YAYYYYYYYYYY Im so happy. Hubby got me pedals for xmas, and it kit included dead pedal. New side marker lights, which are blue, and my Ford sunglasses that are silver with blue flames at the bend in the arms. Im bout set! WOOHOOOOOO!! Well yall lemme know when and what time, so i can get off from work for it.
Cya
Manda

#831026 01/05/04 08:20 AM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Very cool Amanda.

I need some more mods.....like a turbo!!!

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
#831027 01/10/04 08:50 AM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by LoCoZ:
Very cool Amanda.

I need some more mods.....like a turbo!!!

Hell yeah....maybe sponsored by then, then again, maybe dreaming....then again maybe SRT-4 or STI....but the latter would be difficult to dyno...

Oh yeah, we have three more. Me, and two other ppl..wait make that three other ppl.

That should put us to the number needed to dyno. We need a time frame. I would say, early in the morning.

We also need you guys to come into HSV thurs nite if possible....dyno here Friday, grub at Gibson's that nite....or maybe going to Sonic to get some burgers and take the place over. Wish we still had an A&W. I set up a classic car show there once when I was still driving the Barracuda.

L8R
Rich

'04 Ecotec Cavi 140hp/150tq Fabbed intake. Header Coming, DRL's disabled, X-Drilled/slotted rotors coming....Man you really are fast. You were hauling a$$ when I passed you RB&LB causing problems in Huntsville
#831028 01/10/04 02:08 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Ok, so far we have....

1) ZetecRacing (Joe) - Basline w/ A/F = $50
2) unisys12 (that be me!) - Baseline w/ A/F = $50
3) contourchic (Amanda) - ?
4) sosaudio1 (Rich) - ?
5) Rich's Friend - ?
6) Rich's Friend - ?

I really wish I could afford a SVT UIM and TB!! I would love to see how much it can really add. I know Lance is a happy camper though.

As for a start time, Aurthur told me that he gets started around 10AM. If we have a few tuners in there, we could be looking at wrapping up alittle after lunch with this many. Not real sure, but he did say to allow for at least 30 min each. Somewhere in there. It may go quicker then that, may not.

Again, if you are planning on doing any tuning - Arthur said he only tunes Honda's. I will need to know what you are planing so I can get with him first, since he will not be doing the work. That way he can schedule his day as needed.

As for the date of this... Rich and I talked about possible doing this on that Friday, since at the time we were looking at traveling alot. If we are going to stay in HSV, I say we do it on Saturday. If we decide to take a ride up to Nashville, then I suggest we do this on Friday. That way we will not have to rush around, freaking out, all that jazz.

Joe! I know you will be there the whole week prior, so that would not be a big issue. Rich and his friends live there, so... well you do the math. I live about 2 or 3 hrs away and can take off from work that day, Yay!! I will have to miss a days pay, Boo!! But if everyone wants to do it on Friday, that is cool with me. I will be taken donations at the hotel later that night for the Support Phil's Family Fund.

Yeah, I'm joking!!!

Hector, Steve & anyone else that might be coming from the "great white north" (wait, was that a racial statement?? Nah!), are any of you guys planing on taking a few runs? If so, let me know so we can plan accordingly. If coming in on Thursday night will be a problem, we will work something out.

I have posted this over at NECO, in Heartland, and there has been "0" interest.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#831029 01/11/04 03:25 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
If I come down there, add me to the list of dyno people!

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  Lee_dup2, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard