Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Hey guys, recently my car has started to misfire really bad when the engine is under load at lower rpms. I had fairly new plugs and I thought it was plug wires, so I changed them since they needed to be changed anyway. That didn't help and neither did new plugs, cleaned MAF, UIM and injector cleaner. The air filter is fine and the fuel filter is probably 6 months old, gas mileage is fairly normal, and I have no CEL. I'm running out of ideas and I am dreading my next few (coil pack, fuel pump, something worse?) Anyway, it feels electrical as it is a very abrupt mis. Is there any way to test the coil pack or fuel pump before simply replacing them? I would love to hear anymore ideas. Thanks.

1995 SE Mods- SVT Exhaust. SVT Intake, E1 SVT Wheels, BAT Euro Suspension, 20% tint sides and rear, 50% tint windshield. Future Mods- A new third syncro. It's my boring daily driver that I autocross on the weekends.
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
If there was a misfire with your old wires, it probably burned a carbon track into the sides of the plug, which is now causing a misfire with the new wires.

This is what happened on my '95 Contour, and it didn't go away until I replaced both PLUGS AND WIRES at the SAME TIME.

I also discovered that my spark plug socket was dirty and was putting gunk on the spark plug itself which I think may have contributed to the misfiring.

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
if you ned a coil i have the old one off my svt still works fine $35 shiped

98 svt sil/blu 3.0 oval heads full P&P, msds headers,bat kit,2,1/2exhaust 30 inch glasspack and 2 spintech mufflers 14.78@94mph with my mechanical arm i can shift gears in less then a twentieth of a second for sale $7000
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Ok, I have long since changed both the plugs and wires at the same time. The misfire seemed to go away for a few day and has since returned. Today it even backfired through the intake manifold a couple of times. To those of you with shop manuals, is there anyway to test the coil pack? I am almost positive that it must be electrical and the coil pack is the only thing I haven't replaced (except the ECU?) Anyway, the problem is still around and I'd like to cure it during spring break this week if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

1995 SE Mods- SVT Exhaust. SVT Intake, E1 SVT Wheels, BAT Euro Suspension, 20% tint sides and rear, 50% tint windshield. Future Mods- A new third syncro. It's my boring daily driver that I autocross on the weekends.
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
When my coil pack went the idle sounded like a tractor, the engine moved like it had a bad mount and at highway speeds it shimmied and shuddered badly.

Went to Meineke, got a new coil put on, new OEM plugs & OEM wires and problem went away.

I guess it depends on how your coil is dying determines how crappy it runs.

There is a diagnostic to test the coil, the dealer did mine, however...

If it's never been changed I'd bet that's it.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by zakatak:
Ok, I have long since changed both the plugs and wires at the same time. The misfire seemed to go away for a few day and has since returned. Today it even backfired through the intake manifold a couple of times. To those of you with shop manuals, is there anyway to test the coil pack? I am almost positive that it must be electrical and the coil pack is the only thing I haven't replaced (except the ECU?) Anyway, the problem is still around and I'd like to cure it during spring break this week if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

Scuse me dude. I thought I might offer a possible solution. Check your plug wire routing. There are a couple of wires that are swapped on the firewall side - not strictly 1,2,3 kinda setup. Anybody have the diagram handy to post??

Don't ask me how I know to check this...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
TourDeForce, thanks for the idea, but the plug wires are routed correctly. The car runs great most of the time, it only misfires under load at lower RPMs.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard