Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by S. Nielsen:

Yep, the one going to the firewall. The hose I pulled off is about 4-5 inches long heater hose. I just did the repair yesterday, so I have yet to see if this solves the CEL problem. I really hope it does. Did you replace your cracked hose?

I read the whole post, but did you replace the PCV plastic hose that goes all the way down the firewall?

Due to the fact this hose is plastic it can develop pin holes in it.
You say you replaced 4-5 inches is that just the piece to the PCV? I bet the whole thing is shot.

Mine had a small hole that went undetected, until I played with it and it shattered.
I replaced the whole run with rubber hose.
Ford wanted $40 for the plastic hose
I paid $10 for rubber hose that will last forever.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by chongo:

Yep, the one going to the firewall. The hose I pulled off is about 4-5 inches long heater hose. I just did the repair yesterday, so I have yet to see if this solves the CEL problem. I really hope it does. Did you replace your cracked hose?

I read the whole post, but did you replace the PCV plastic hose that goes all the way down the firewall?

Due to the fact this hose is plastic it can develop pin holes in it.
You say you replaced 4-5 inches is that just the piece to the PCV? I bet the whole thing is shot.

Mine had a small hole that went undetected, until I played with it and it shattered.
I replaced the whole run with rubber hose.
Ford wanted $40 for the plastic hose
I paid $10 for rubber hose that will last forever.

I bet you're right. In the process of replacing the 4-5 inches, the plastic hose made some cracking noises which I tried to ignore for moment. I'm still trying to figure out why Ford used a corrugated plastic hose for a vacuum line.

I will probably replace the entire hose now that you mention it. But it looks like a PITA to do. I mean, that hose is halfway down the firewall.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C

I bet you're right. In the process of replacing the 4-5 inches, the plastic hose made some cracking noises which I tried to ignore for moment. I'm still trying to figure out why Ford used a corrugated plastic hose for a vacuum line.

I asked myself the same question when mine broke...

I had a mechanic do mine, cause it died at the shop.
I would've done it myself. $10 hose $100 labour. grrrrrr.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
I had the same problem recently with mine. I brought it to AutoZone today and had them check it. It turned out to be a Bank 1, p0141 Running lean code. He deleted it and It hasn't come back on yet.

Btw, I'm new here, nice to meet you all. My name's mike and I'm a contour aholic. I got mine for Christmas this year (1998 black, GL).

1998 Black, Contour GL. 89,098 on the clock.
Y
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Y
check the linkage under the throttle body the enrichment valve linkage on mine fell off.

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by GoSox:
I had the same problem recently with mine. I brought it to AutoZone today and had them check it. It turned out to be a Bank 1, p0141 Running lean code. He deleted it and It hasn't come back on yet.

Give it a couple more days. You may be in for a wild ride.

Welcome to CEG.

Y
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Y
my car was throwing same codes as yours, because the enrichment linkage fell off, check yours.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by yorkie:
my car was throwing same codes as yours, because the enrichment linkage fell off, check yours.

That is not an "enrichment" lingage.

It is the linkage that connects the front bank secondaries to the IMRC actuator. Without it, the front back runners won't open at around 3.5-4K like they are supposed to. The rear bank (Bank 1) is not affected by this failure.

P0141 is an electrical circuit fault unrelated to fuel mixture.

Here is the first step of the diagnostic procedure for a P0141:

H30 DTCS P0135, P0141 and P0155 AND P0161: HO2S HEATER CIRCUIT IS OPEN, SHORTED TO GROUND, SHORTED TO VPWR OR EXCESSIVE CURRENT DRAW

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0135 P0141, P0155 and P0161 indicate a short to ground, open, or short to VPWR in the HO2S heater circuit.

DTC/HO2S Reference List:

DTC P0135 = HO2S HTR-11

DTC P0141 = HO2S HTR-12

DTC P0155 = HO2S HTR-21

DTC P0161 = HO2S HTR-22

Possible causes:

-- Shorts to VPWR in harness or HO2S.

-- Water in connectors.

-- Cut or pulled wires.

-- Disconnected wiring.

-- Open VPWR circuit.

-- Open GND circuit.

-- Low battery voltage.

-- Corrosion or poor mating terminals.

-- Damaged HO2S heater.

-- Damaged PCM.

l NOTE:
On some applications, a vehicle hoist is required to access the HO2S harness.

Visually inspect the HO2S circuit for exposed wiring, contamination, corrosion and proper assembly.

l Were any concerns found during the visual inspection?

Yes
REPAIR any concerns found in the visual inspection. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. RESTORE vehicle. RERUN «Quick Test».

No
GO to «H31».

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
R
R
try cleaning the MAF sensor. i had the code p0171 replaced both o2 sensors,spark plugs, pcv, air filter and wires. Washed the MAF down with som carb cleaner and then electro wash and CEL has stayed off.

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by robd:
try cleaning the MAF sensor. i had the code p0171 replaced both o2 sensors,spark plugs, pcv, air filter and wires. Washed the MAF down with som carb cleaner and then electro wash and CEL has stayed off.

Actually, this was the first thing the shop did, way back in September when I took the car to the shop for the first time. Didn't fix the problem unfortunately.

When I visited the shop last week, he was suggesting that a new MAF was the next step. I have a feeling this would cost me a ton of money plus I'm not sure if it would solve the problem. For example, I ended up buying new o2 sensors and it wasn't even the problem!

If anyone has any costs or other info on the MAF I would greatly appreciate it. Could it be faulty?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard