Next Thread
Print Thread
#828158 12/24/03 10:38 PM
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
I have been having an intermittent power loss, sluggishness in my 95 gl 2.0 130k miles contour.. im wondering if the cats have finally given up, but im not absolutely sure.. the power loss so far is very rare, it only happens once every few weeks, but when it does the car will hesitate for about half second, then i would hear an audible "pop!" noise, and then a surge of acceleration, as though there was something holding the car back.. wierd. ... the pop noise might be backfiring.. i dont know, its not real loud, but you can hear it inside the car..

somone help me confirm this.. when i searched, the posts that i found seem to describe the problem, but none mentioned any backfiring or noises... how much are the cats? can someone ballpark parts and labor for me?

much appreciated.

F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
oh and um. no cel's.

come on throw me a bone here guys.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I would first check your secondaries to be sure they are operating properly. The vac tube or some of the connectors may have a leak/crack that causes your secondaries to remain open.

Second thing I would check - plugs & wires. When was the last time you had them changed & what brands did you install?

Finally, I recall some posts in which people spoke of some popping. Search for the word "pop" in the last 6 months & see what comes up. This will likely offer some valuable insight.

Have a safe Holiday weekend.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I would first check your secondaries to be sure they are operating properly. The vac tube or some of the connectors may have a leak/crack that causes your secondaries to remain open.

Second thing I would check - plugs & wires. When was the last time you had them changed & what brands did you install?

Finally, I recall some posts in which people spoke of some popping. Search for the word "pop" in the last 6 months & see what comes up. This will likely offer some valuable insight.

Have a safe Holiday weekend.

let me try to correct you.. the zetec dont have no seconderies
but the spark plug and wire idea is right

Lexus ES300
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
check your fuel pressure regulator

98 svt sil/blu 3.0 oval heads full P&P, msds headers,bat kit,2,1/2exhaust 30 inch glasspack and 2 spintech mufflers 14.78@94mph with my mechanical arm i can shift gears in less then a twentieth of a second for sale $7000
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
ok thanks alexey, for clarifying that, first of all.. i meant to post in here last nite, but things kinda got busy around here yes its a ztec 2.0 with approx 130k i have had the entire engine replaced, and that was about 24k ago. when the engine was replaced, i had new plugs and wires installed as well as check and recheck the vacuum hoses and EGR, and i got motorcraft single plat's and new OEM 8mm wires..

Dont get me wrong, my car hauls ass, and it accelerates as strong as ever, but intermittlntly i've noticed its acted like a slug for half a sec or so.. i dunno why... i popped the wires off and pulled each plug out this morning, everything looked ok, no carbon buildup, no oil deposits, the plugs were dry as a bone ( thanks to a new valve cover gasket) and put every thing back up, it purred fine... spun all the way through first and a little in second, like it normally does..(mmm... MTX ) no biggie there....

what i really cant understand is where the pop noise is coming from.. can the IAC get stuck and the 'flap' not move in time with the accelerator cable, then it suddenly 'pop's out to let air in? im not sure, im just putting that out there .. i will check the FPR and pick up some new plugs and wires from Ford monday.. and we'll see how that goes..

does anyone else have ideas?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by alexey:
let me try to correct you.. the zetec dont have no seconderies but the spark plug and wire idea is right

He's got a GL - I totally freakin' missed that. My appologies are offered most humbly.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Cruzn:
it only happens once every few weeks, but when it does the car will hesitate for about half second, then i would hear an audible "pop!" noise, and then a surge of acceleration, as though there was something holding the car back.. wierd. ... the pop noise might be backfiring.. i dont know, its not real loud, but you can hear it inside the car..

much appreciated.

Sounds like what happened to my Tour could be the fuel pump.
I had the pop every once in a while (sounded like it came from the front passanger side of engine bay on my tour V6),
also had a misfiring issue, hesitation. Ford said it was the cats, I gutted them. Nope not the problem.

Do a fuel line pressure test if plugs, wires and coil are ok.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
F
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by chongo:

Sounds like what happened to my Tour could be the fuel pump.
I had the pop every once in a while (sounded like it came from the front passanger side of engine bay on my tour V6),
also had a misfiring issue, hesitation. Ford said it was the cats, I gutted them. Nope not the problem.

Do a fuel line pressure test if plugs, wires and coil are ok.

yeah i'll try that this weekend, and see how it goes, i think the wires plugs and coil are ok though.

does anyone else have ideas?

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by alexey:
let me try to correct you.. the zetec dont have no seconderies but the spark plug and wire idea is right

He's got a GL - I totally freakin' missed that. My appologies are offered most humbly.

Actually, the V6 was an option in the GL. You cannot tell the engine type by the model in the early years. The giveaway was the 2.0L

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard