Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by brianl703:
It's just interesting that those in Group 1 all seem to have major problems with their Contour that require major expense to repair, and consider the Contour an "unreliable POS" because of it.

i don't think people think the Contour is 'unreliable' - my car was absolutely wonderful - i still miss it to be honest, but i am not the type of person to sink 2/3rds of the value of a car just to keep it running - if i had been putting in a supercharger or turbo then YES i think it's a valid point if that's what someone is after...

if my ABS/Hydraulic unit went out in my Mazda6 and it would cost me $14K (roughly 2/3rds of the cars value) to make it 'normal' again - do you think i'd do it? heck no!

to be honest brian - i think what you're doing is perfectly fine - i'm all about saving money and there's nothing wrong with keeping the tour going! enjoy the heck out of the car - that's why were here!

oh - and Merry Christmas

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Truth be told, I am actually considering a future purchase of a Ford Futura. Right now the Mazda 6 has some things that annoy me, and I expect that Ford will change them:

1)Red dashboard illumination. I want green.

2)The stereo is impossible to upgrade (integrated with the climate controls) so I couldn't swap the Sirius tuner/head unit from my Contour into it.
2a)The climate controls display console seems to be very fragile, and I've read several reports of it not working after it was R/R'd.

3)Mazda parts prices are high compared to Ford parts prices.
3a)You can't order Mazda parts from Bill Jenkins

4)Not really an annoyance but...Ford is working on a 3.5L engine which is to be available in the Futura in it's 2nd year of production. That alone makes me think that waiting might be the best option.

5)Also not an annoyance...My sister works for a Ford dealer so I could get the D-plan on the Ford Futura.

As far as keeping a car, one of my co-workers had a new engine installed in his '93 Chevy Malibu (I think?) so he can drive it for another 10 years. This guy is rumoured to make 6 figures, so it's not as if he couldn't afford a new car.

And, Merry Christmas!

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Right now the Mazda 6 has some things that annoy me, and I expect that Ford will change them:

now we see the truth come out

1)Red dashboard illumination. I want green.
I hear ya on this, i wish i had the blue background like the Mazdaspeed MPS Mazda6

2)The stereo is impossible to upgrade (integrated with the climate controls) so I couldn't swap the Sirius tuner/head unit from my Contour into it. some guys are finding ways to tweak the stereo, but as you said - you're pretty much stuck with the stock layout just to keep the display working, etc

2a)The climate controls display console seems to be very fragile, and I've read several reports of it not working after it was R/R'd. no problems here, I'm enjoying auto HVAC for once

3)Mazda parts prices are high compared to Ford parts prices.
3a)You can't order Mazda parts from Bill Jenkins we'll be working to convert Bill here in the upcoming months

4)Not really an annoyance but...Ford is working on a 3.5L engine which is to be available in the Futura in it's 2nd year of production. That alone makes me think that waiting might be the best option.

5)Also not an annoyance...My sister works for a Ford dealer so I could get the D-plan on the Ford Futura. good idea, i was lucky to use the S-Plan on my Mazda - I'm "ahead" of the curve compared to most, usually you drive off the lot are are immediately in negative value - I am however still in the positive use it if you can!

As far as keeping a car, one of my co-workers had a new engine installed in his '93 Chevy Malibu (I think?) so he can drive it for another 10 years. This guy is rumoured to make 6 figures, so it's not as if he couldn't afford a new car.

And, Merry Christmas!

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by 2000GreenTour:
Ford didn't "buy them out", they BAILED them out. You don't know what you're talking about, anyway. Mazda 3 is a highly reviewed car and made in Japan. Also, Mazda sales are taking Europe by storm. Just because of one lemon Contour doesn't mean the entire Mazda line is "bad".

Also, Nissan was BAILED out by the French (Renault), so don't get all high and mighty about how "grrreat" they are. Altimas have their share of bugs and issues. Look it up. Also, they're hi HP FWD cars are plauged by torque steer, so they ain't "all that".

Oh, I've driven one already, and I like it. The so-called "torque steer" isn't as bad as one might think. Don't get me wrong, I like the Mazda 6, but I will never deal with Ford's customer service again. I told them that straight out after they got VERY, VERY rude with me. As for Nissan's, well, Ford will never be known for quality like Nissan. Sure, any car will have it's problems, but it's starting to get out of hand with my car. I need something new, and it's SAD to say, but foreign is where the quality really is. Yeah, I guess your right, 0-60 in six seconds for a daily driver, FWD car isn't "all-that".

02 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, FULLY LOADED Old car- 99 SE Sport ATX w/ SVT body kit (for sale...asking $4,200 OBO), nicely modded, high-flow exhaust y-pipe back and KKM. 95K, but 95% are interstate highway miles back and forth to college everyday.
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Obviously, he doesn't want to risk "expensive repairs" but he's perfectly willing to buy a whole new car--that "logic" really makes sense to me.

Ah, I make 75k a year. I would like something NEW. Not five years old. If I can afford a nice, decent quality new car, and not have to worry about repairing an "older" car on an almost MONTHLY basis, what's so hard to understand??????

02 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, FULLY LOADED Old car- 99 SE Sport ATX w/ SVT body kit (for sale...asking $4,200 OBO), nicely modded, high-flow exhaust y-pipe back and KKM. 95K, but 95% are interstate highway miles back and forth to college everyday.
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by jerseycat10:
This thread is interesting. There are 2 groups of people.

Group 1: Those who are enjoying their new rides.
Group 2: Those who are envious of Group 1, and feel the need to air their envy publicly by bashing them.

A few people made the valid point that if you can swing it financially, then why not? If driving a new car makes someone happy, then all the power to them!

Exactly, envy. That's all it is. Just because I can sink $24,000 into a new car and have something new, and different for the first time in almost five years, right away it's envy. Sorry, I love my Contour, but it's soon time to move on and keep up with the times. I hope this group stays around for awhile, because our car's will always be the greatest, but I'm not making more than two car payments a month. I have a relatively new Explorer to pay off, and soon the Nissan, and a $1500 mortgage, and the list goes on and on and on. If I could keep the car as a "project car" I would, but I just can't.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
i actually took out an Altima 3.5 (auto) and it hauled butt too bad they didn't have a 5-speed available anywhere around here at that time, now of course the lots are FULL of MTX Altima 3.5's

one nice thing with the Mazda6 is that it's 100% designed in Japan but built in Michigan - so I feel that the Japanese influence is the main part of the design and the homeboys can build it

this car isn't really a "FORD" but it's built by a company owned by Ford...

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Much as I love the Mazda 6, I cant personally justify the cost. Payments on a $25K car would be at LEAST $350/month (I refuse to lease) compared to my SVT for $185/month which will be paid off in 3 years. My ABS isnt working, it has creaks and rattles and banging suspension, and dosent like to shift when cold, etc.

However, all of those problems can be fixed, and I do plan on fixing them in time. Even if I were to do an all-new suspension, wheels, full 3L, trans and exhaust I'd still be spending less than a brand new M6 with the same performance as my SVT.

Might I get sick of the car? Yes. Might it break down more over time? Possibly. But right now I'm looking forward to tinkering with it and building it into a faster, better handling car. And since I refuse to pay Ford to fix it, I'll be doing the repairs and upgrades for a very reasonable cost.

Bottom line: money is DEFINITELY saved keeping an older car running, but only if you have the time and patience to do some work yourself If you dont want the hassle, get an M6.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Just in case you hadn't noticed, the automatic trans on the V6 Mazda 6 is also a 5 speed.

On a related note, some automakers are going to even more gears on the automatic transmissions. Mercedes is about to intorduce a 7 speed.

I guess that the horsepower race that the industry is moving stronger into is going to include a transmission race as well with a four speed automatic becoming old school real fast.

As well as the five speed automatic runs in the Lincoln LS I can't help but wonder just how well a Mazda 6 with a five speed automatic would run.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by rob:

As for Nissan's, well, Ford will never be known for quality like Nissan. Sure, any car will have it's problems, but it's starting to get out of hand with my car. I need something new, and it's SAD to say, but foreign is where the quality really is. Yeah, I guess your right, 0-60 in six seconds for a daily driver, FWD car isn't "all-that".

My new 2004 Maxima is right on par in terms of quality as my 99 Mystique. Lots of issues with it within the first six months of ownership. Rattles in the headliner and rear parcel shelf, a strange shimmy problem at 55-75mph, bad drivers side headlight, and burnt out DRL bulbs that need 3 hours of shop time to change. A lack of available parts makes the repairs take much longer than they should.

Don't be quick to assume that a new car from traditionally "high quality" manufacturers will be high quality any more. They are all cutting corners to add to the bottom line. The Acura TL is just as bad if not worse from what I hear too.

The 265HP and 255lb-ft TQ along with all the neat toys the Maxima has is keeping me from bitching too much. Besides...I was used to it from the Mystique.

Lardy.

Previous owner of a 99 Mystique V6 MTX Black Current owner of a 2004 Maxima SE MTX Silver Forsale: Yakima roof rack. Q-towers, bars, clips, locks. Good condition.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard