Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Thx for stepping in Silver Snake, I got through most of the thread already composing a reply in my head; until I got to your post . . . you covered it much better than I would have . . .

btw, Have you hit any small animals w/ Hispanic names w/ your Enzo yet?

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
(Taking his own foot out of his mouth)
It sucks to be wrong, only thing that helps is when you get good info. Thanks for correcting me. Reasoning I used about cross drilled rotors and cracks is logic that if they crack it will not go any further than the nearest hole (it shouldn't anyway). The info on water droplets was acctualy from motorcycle world, I was not aware of testing done by Porsche (I aware that they test it, not aware of the results). Still I am not impressed by cross drilled rotors and the results they got. As for the weight savings well we are not talking about total weight savings, but about unsprung weight, and there are the differences, smalll though. Anyway thanks for correction.

airman1 Black '95 Mondeo V6Si
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
What you may not realize about drilled rotors and cracks is that the holes themselves are the stress risers that encourage the cracking. The cracks START at the holes.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by airman1:
As for the weight savings well we are not talking about total weight savings, but about unsprung weight, and there are the differences, smalll though. Anyway thanks for correction.

Note that ALL of the rotor's weight is unsprung weight on a car (except in the extremely rare circumstance of an inboard brake setup) The difference is pretty negligable regardless.

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I guess I stand corrected as well. When I was shopping for a big brake kit for my former RX-7 TT (was going with AP's instead of Brembo's though) I researched them quite a bit and I guess even those folks selling the products don't always know all the correct info all the time. Oh well either way you can't go wrong with anything Brembo makes as they do take their products seriously as far as I can tell. I mean many top supercar manufacturers use them on their production & race cars so I guess they have to be somewhat good

Ben *now* '00 CSVT T-red/tan #1684/2150 *sold* '92 Galant VR-4 #580/1000 *sold* '93 FD3S TT
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
FAQ:

What are the benefits of cross-drilled/slotted rotors?
The simple answer is asthetics! Slotted and cross-drilled rotors do not improve braking nor is the weight savings beneficial. Often, the slots and holes cause quicker pad wear and shorter rotor life due to cracking and warping. You've hard that the unspring weight savings can help greatly, false. It is beneficial on a vehicle as weight sensative as a motor cylce but not on a street car like the a Contour. Your best bet for good braking and pad/rotor life is a quality set of blanks!

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Somebody make this a sticky and lock it before the "but but but" crowd chimes in.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 â??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Will Do! Please read the Entire FAQ before posting!

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
FAQ:

The simple answer is asthetics! Slotted and cross-drilled rotors do not improve braking nor is the weight savings beneficial. Often, the slots and holes cause quicker pad wear and shorter rotor life due to cracking and warping. You've hard that the unspring weight savings can help greatly, false. It is beneficial on a vehicle as weight sensative as a motor cylce but not on a street car like the a Contour. Your best bet for good braking and pad/rotor life is a quality set of blanks!

I agree, but it always makes me wonder why high end cars put them on from the factory if they are so bad and cause shorter life. Porsche for exp.

Just a Plain SE. AKA Big Country I maybe path914's B**** now, but wait until he needs his clutch done. We will see WHO is WHO's B**** then!
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by myfastse:
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
FAQ:

I agree, but it always makes me wonder why high end cars put them on from the factory if they are so bad and cause shorter life. Porsche for exp.

Read Silver Snake's post above.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard