Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
OP Offline
Z
Good morning all,

Recently it got to about 10 degrees overnight (And we had a little snow) here in Colorado, I went outside to drive to work in my 1999 Ford contour (4 cyl engine standard, automatic trans, SE model) and I had a problem similar to one I had last year. It started but I noticed several things.
1 - Clunking noise where I shift when pressing the brake
2 - Speedometer, odometer, main panel not working. However Radio and heater working

I drove to work, (about 6 miles) and it got there, last year when I heard the clunking noise, the panel stopped working it would stall dead shortly after start up. After geting alternator, and almost all the wiring, a new battery finally fixed it last year.

So this weekend, I removed the 1 year old battery and installed a new one, It starts however it didn't resolve the problem. It's probably done 30+ miles with this issue, so I am not sure if the cars going to stall or not, but I am wondering if anyone else has run into this at all

Thanks,
Terence

L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
could be a blown fuse causing the electrical issues, as for the clunking:

check the following:
-linkages
-tranny mount(s)
-CV joints

non of the three parts/assemblies listed above like the cold. as my car has spent 8 years of its life driving through harsh alaskan winters, i would know.

[threadjack] however, i would like to give kudos to ford. i let my baby sit outside for a week straight in the middle of winter. parked her that friday, didnt crank her till the next friday. it wasnt above -30F(even during the day, it was pushing -60F at night) that whole week...and she started up on the first try, no block heater. i love my car [/threadjack]

Z
OP Offline
Z
I'll check the fuse's, like I said last year the exact same thing happened, after 1st snowfall of the season. Car seems to not be losing power (Last year it would run for 30 minutes, than drian like their was a short) however no gauges work

Z

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Not to hi jack your thread, but where are you in the Springs? I was there for about 4 and a half years.
Be sure to check out the Southwest section. I think there is one other guy from the Springs there, and then there is Ben up in Monument and several guys from the Denver area.

Welcome to CEG too.

Mike

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
Z
OP Offline
Z
Thanks Mike! Living up in Briargate

as an update, last night the car died on the way home. Was stuck on woodman heading East, and noticed that the lights where getting dim. Basically I had about 2 minutes to get out of heavy traffic into a parking lot. Now, here's a couple of things that are happening now and also happened last year

1 - New Battery, or alternator don't help - I spent 600 last eyar on this stuff

2 - No Gauges including gas etc

3 - Clicking underneath the automatic shifter

Car will run for 30 - 1 hour if I charge it

This problem started when it snowed, and is under 20 degrees

Terry

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard