Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#809572 12/01/03 09:18 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I am building my 99 SVT to run a little more competitive in STS. I have a few questions to hopefully someone that knows the rules.

In reading the SCCA STS rules from this Link I have a few suspension questions.

Can you run an adjustable sway bar end-link?

also

Can you run Ground Controls? They do attach to stock points!

I couldn't clearly convince myself with the answer by reading the SCCA's text so help me out. Thx!

1999 SVT Contour, 2004 SRT4 & Lots Others... Currently building my 1999 SVT for NASA's TT REAL racers do it twisty!!
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Here, Aaron Buckley is running GCs in STS on a 2000ish Celica GTS with Koni Struts. Now, we can't run those w/o cutting the Koni spring mounts, I don't know about them. But since we really don't have a competitive car, nobody's going to really [censored] about them. IMHO, get a camber kit while you're at it to really help out -- you should see the front tires of my CSVT after the last event. Shredded.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Quote:

Any anti-sway bar is permitted. Bushing material, method of attachment, and locating points are unrestricted.

I take that to mean that an adjustable one is OK. Our bar does not serve as a suspension locator.

GC's are also permitted, for the reason you cite. They just don't want you spending thousands of $$ to change the geometry of your system.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Awesome...Thx Roger.

What about headers and a Y pipe (with cat)? TIA

1999 SVT Contour, 2004 SRT4 & Lots Others... Currently building my 1999 SVT for NASA's TT REAL racers do it twisty!!
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by SVTb4SRT4:

What about headers and a Y pipe (with cat)?

Not quite sure what you mean there... The problem with headers in STS is that all of them for our cars eliminate the pre-cats. This is a no-no for STS. I am not sure if that is what you meant by "(with cat)" or not.

I have wondered if the y-pipe could be considered part of the header or not. I don't think that it is, but one could likley make the case for it, as it joins the two exhaust manifolds...

On a side note... You might look at the gains provided by a Quaife limited slip differential, 15x8 lightweight wheels (bigger contact patch than with STS's 7.5), and header/exhaust/high-flow cat. The PAX/RTP index changed from last year, and STS had become harder. It might behoove you to move to STX, if only for the PAX. Obviously, there are a lot of things to consider here, but I thought I would point it out.

As a comparison on a 60 second course:

STS 47.46
STX 47.7
GS 46.86

Good luck.

There are 10 kinds of people... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by TheMark:

What about headers and a Y pipe (with cat)?

Not quite sure what you mean there... The problem with headers in STS is that all of them for our cars eliminate the pre-cats. This is a no-no for STS. I am not sure if that is what you meant by "(with cat)" or not.

I have wondered if the y-pipe could be considered part of the header or not. I don't think that it is, but one could likley make the case for it, as it joins the two exhaust manifolds...

On a side note... You might look at the gains provided by a Quaife limited slip differential, 15x8 lightweight wheels (bigger contact patch than with STS's 7.5), and header/exhaust/high-flow cat. The PAX/RTP index changed from last year, and STS had become harder. It might behoove you to move to STX, if only for the PAX. Obviously, there are a lot of things to consider here, but I thought I would point it out.

As a comparison on a 60 second course:

STS 47.46
STX 47.7
GS 46.86

Good luck.

But how long before the SRT-4 becomes "the car to have" for STX? Buh bye PAX.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Awesome...Thx Roger.

What about headers and a Y pipe (with cat)? TIA

Headers are allowed, but altering the emissions system is not. Aftermarket, "hi-flow" cats are also not allowed, last I checked.

So that means no headers for us, and furthermore, every aftermarket Y currently offered replaces or moves the main cat as well, making them, technically, illegal.

Optimizing the stock Y, however, is OK, IMO, because you retain all OEM emissions equipment in its stock location.

This is all my interpretation, anyway.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I am building my 99 SVT to run a little more competitive in STS.

Of course, what I should tell you is that driver education is unrestricted.

Locally, there's a guy in a bone-stock SVT who is very competitive in STS. I love seeing him duke it out with fully-prepped Integras.

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Awesome! Thx for the help. Should be fun!

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by weargle:

But how long before the SRT-4 becomes "the car to have" for STX? Buh bye PAX.

Well, since the rules only allow up to 2.0 lites of displacement for forced induction cars, I would say it would be when the SCCA decides to bump the displacement allowance to 2.4 liters.

There are 10 kinds of people... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard