Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
V
yeah 240 watts of sphincter power. Whenever you buy car audio, you get what you pay for. I bet if you hook that legacy amp up to a meter it would probably only register about 50 watts TOTAL, if your lucky. Take my advice, stay clear of that amp and buy yourself something descent. If you look around I'm sure you can find an amp for 100.00 that will out perform that legacy in every aspect by far. If you need some help let me know; I've had many competition systems and I'de be glad to give you "GOOD" advice. As far as hooking up the sub once the amp is allready installed, all you have to do is connect the speaker wire to it; very easy. You might as well just wait untill you have the sub because hooking the amp up without it is serving no pupose cause your door speakers are allready running of your head unit. So when you get both then go to the shop, they won't charge you any extra to hhok the sub up. If they do, they are trying to rape you.

vinny "2000 T-RED SVT"
Mods:
kkm
sho shop off road y-pipe
Audio:
Alpine CDM 7874
Audio Control 4.1 EQ/Line driver
Mb quart rsb 215 comp.
Mb quart rsc 216 comp.
blueprint 1001 sub
2 Phoenix Gold qx2180 amps
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by vinny:
[QB]yeah 240 watts of sphincter power. Whenever you buy car audio, you get what you pay for. I bet if you hook that legacy amp up to a meter it would probably only register about 50 watts TOTAL, if your lucky. [/b]

Vinny, I have some "GOOD" advice for you. I suggest you become a little more diplomatic in your posts. Legacy amps use max power typically. The 240 watts obviously is not going to be produced but getting 80-100 watts would not be out of line. On a budget, Legacy is a brand to consider. I have heard a few systems that use them and they are not spectacular but are competent for an entry level amplifier.

Quote:

Take my advice, stay clear of that amp and buy yourself something descent. If you look around I'm sure you can find an amp for 100.00 that will out perform that legacy in every aspect by far.

According to your previous statement, the 100.00 amp would be twice as good as the legacy. If he spend 100.00 on a higher power legacy, it would also outperform the 50.00 model by far.

Quote:

If you need some help let me know; I've had many competition systems and I'de be glad to give you "GOOD" advice.

So far you have made some pretty good recommendations but I propose that you open your mind a little. Because you have had many competition systems doesn't impress me, impress me with your recommedations and knowledge and I may be more apt to listen. As it stands, insulting other people because you don't like their recommendations has the opposite effect. Besides, I have heard competition systems that sounded like utter crap, and also heard 500.00 systems that sound very nice and extremely balanced (using a legacy amp).

Post your suggestions but don't insult the rest of us by insinuating that you are the only one offering "Good" advice.

D
D
I-Dom-In-8
I could help you out with the amp and the subs install I did my headunit and my amp and subs

96 Contour
it's faster than a period.
some day I will be as fast as D Davis
I
OP Offline
I
ZetecRacing that would be really cool if you could. but i would love to hear your 1st. i hope you can make it to our next meet. then i can hear yours and maybe that will help a little. this is what i was thining with the set up. I want to put the Amp under either my seat or the passinger seat. would this work. and for the Sup i want to put it in the trunk but on the right side towards the back where the light houseing is. can you guys picture where im talking about.would this work. i want some room left back there but i also want a clean setup. anyone have any good pics. and BTW thank you guys for all your help.That goes for everyone laugh

V
V
Are you kidding me? Legacy? I don't care how much money you spend on it, it's not a good product and I don't don't see how you could reccomend it. I'm not here insulting anyone; I just happen to have vast knowledge when it comes to quality car audio. I did not mention my competition systems to impress you. I was just simply stating that I know what a quality system consists of. Now you say you have heard 500.00 dollar systems that have sounded good. Please enlighten further. Your talkin Hu, speakers, amp, crossover, accessories. what kind of complete system can you buy for that price. If you manage to, I will guarantee it might work, but it will be a long way from soundidng good in my opinion. You have to understand that there is a BIG difference between a stereo thats sounds ok"descent sound, descent bass" and a quality stereo which has fine imaging, tight bass and low bass that doesn't overshadow everything else. I'm not trying to start world war 3 here, as we both know we need no more help in that dept. I'm stating the facts I know about car audio. I used to spend alot of time at my friends car audio shop " not as an employee, not enough money", But I would help him with his installs and I've seen, helped build and listened to hundreds of setups. we used to have a gauge that would measure power, and you would be surprised at the difference from what shows up on the meter and what the manuf. claims. One other thing you should ALWAYS go by rms power, not max. Max power is a small amount of power the amp can push for a couple of seconds and you should always avoid that. It provides heat, distortion, and in turn produces bad sound.

vinny "2000 T-RED SVT"
Mods:
kkm
sho shop off road y-pipe
Audio:
Alpine CDM 7874
Mb quart rsb 215 comp.
Mb quart rsc 216 comp.
blueprint 1001 sub
V
V
if possible I would try to avoid putting th amp under the seat because it will be difficult to filter out the heat. Your best bet is to buy a small sealed box and you want to put it right up against your back seats with the sub facing the toward the rear" facing you when you open the trunk". If you get a sealed box and say you go with a 10 in. sub the box will be a minimal size and you can put it against the back seats on either side of the trunk. As far as the amp goes their are so many things you could do. But all would require custom work. You could have it mounted on the side of your trunk standing up. this isn't too difficult and it would be out of the way.

vinny "2000 T-RED SVT"
Mods:
kkm
sho shop off road y-pipe
Audio:
Alpine CDM 7874
Mb quart rsb 215 comp.
Mb quart rsc 216 comp.
blueprint 1001 sub
V
V
i looked around a little and found 2 amp I think are good buys. the first one is a Rockford Fosgate G160a2 from www.buyloud.com power ratings- 40x2 at 4 ohms and 160x1. The 160x1 figure might be at 2 ohms. i don't think it said. If so it probably puts out about 80 to 100 at 4 ohms bridged. The other is MTX RT2120 from www.crutchfield.com it's rated 30 x2 and 120x1. Both of these amps would produce sufficient power.

vinny "2000 T-RED SVT"
Mods:
kkm
sho shop off road y-pipe
Audio:
Alpine CDM 7874
Mb quart rsb 215 comp.
Mb quart rsc 216 comp.
blueprint 1001 sub
D
D
Vinny, thanks for the response to my post but I'll pass on the lessons. I may have over reacted but you seem to not understand that not everyone has the same requirements nor the same money to spend. I made the mistake of spending my money on car audio speakers in my last install. I paid 1000.00 on just the speakers. Did it sound good? Sure. Could I do better by spending well under 400.00? without a doubt in my mind. In fact, I think for 800.00, I could buy 2 subs and a component set that would be nearly impossible to beat at any cost with brand name car audio products.

By the way, I'm a firm believer in buying high quality products, but they aren't affordable to some people and others won't consider buying used.

The $500.00 system was not competition quality, but it had good midrange, clear (if not a little bright) highs, and competent bottom end. No boom, no moving hair, but solid low end. It included audax mids, ultimate tweeters, 8" infinite baffle sub, HU and 4 channel legacy amp.

D
D
not sure if I ca make it to the next meet since I work retail and our meets are usually on the weekend. but there are some problems to look at with putting the amp under the seat. 1 space for the amp and 2 cooling of the amp. my somewhat old now rockford punch 200x2 wound't fit under my seat but I do have a 6 disk changer under the drivers seat.

96 Contour
it's faster than a period.
some day I will be as fast as D Davis
A
APT Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by dnewma04:
4 channel legacy amp.

It's only 2 channel. I'll stay out of this for now. wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1