Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by Abbo:
I screwed up early on when I panicked and took it to the dealer before making sure I had an actual continuous leak. I ok'd the work because I trusted his word that there was no fix except replacing the case or the whole transmission. If I had seen this area before they dropped the trans I would have most certainly driven it out of there. It has been one bad decision after another in this case. It must have something to do with age because I am usually pretty good at figuring the best way to proceed in these matters. It all started on the day I was going to look under the car and see if I felt like tackling the oil pan gasket myself and it gets worse each day. Oh well!

I would not blame yourself so much over all this. Yeah sure, I have sat right here and said to myself, "That guy should have never ok'ed work that he had not checked out first.", but it is not always that simple. If you trusted this guy, which I feel you did or you would not have allowed the work to be done thus far as you said, how can you blame yourself. You don't work with the CD4E everyday, so you are not "up-to-speed" on it's in's and out's. So how could you know? You may also not be overly familiar with automatic transmissions at all. So how can you really totally blame yourself for all this.

Sure, there was some common warning signs that you should have caught. But you trusted the guy! Too bad our socity is built more on distrusting someone to protect yourself rather then trusting that person.

In short, don't beat yourself up so bad.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Quote:

I plan on contacting Ford and writing the service manager although I don't hold much hope.

Before you contact Ford, get a written report from the dealer as to the nature of the failure. Do your best to make sure that the "pin hole" is referred to as a "casting defect" or words to that effect. (Anything that will point out the fact that this was caused by a manufacturing problem.) You will then have your "amunition" to contact Ford and press your case that this was a defect your car has had since it was manufactured!

As I previously stated, this will not be easy, but if you keep pressing the matter with Ford, (not the dealer) you stand a chance of recovering if not all than at least the majority of you costs.

Former, now returned CEG'er! 95SE MTX, (AKA "The Road Rat"). Stock except for:TH fix, B.A.T. big brake kit, tranny cocktail and lots of re-insulated wiring! May yet be a 3.0! "Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does!"
A
Abbo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Good advice and I'll try but I have a feeling they will be reluctant due to the core charge issue.

1998 Black SE Contour Sport V6 2.5L DOHC Automatic, Moonroof, CD Player
A
Abbo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
The final bill came to $3874 but that included around $550 for unrelated oil pan gaskets and O2 sensors so the trans works with taxes came in around $3324. It still seems strange that there wasn't more fluid all over the trans but they were sure convincing and confident there was a leak in the case. I also noticed a charge for oil dye so I assume they were either smart enough to include that or they did actually use it to see the leak source. If I had thought of it when I was there trying to see the pinhole then I would have had them shine the black light, or whatever, on the fluid in the compartment to see the "glow" or whatever it indicates in the fluid. I simply didn't analyze my options very well as I made each mistake.

1998 Black SE Contour Sport V6 2.5L DOHC Automatic, Moonroof, CD Player
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard