Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
well its obvioulsy leaking, but i dont see where it could be leaking from. clean out that fluid and then repost pics.

A
Abbo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
He pointed out the shiny spot left of the fluid as where it is leaking from. It was interesting that he showed me fluid elsewhere under the car saying it was everywhere but there is only the one pool in the one compartment on the trans. I questioned him on many things except that because I figured they may have placed it there to mark the compartment or it was for affect but if they are lying then he would have made up something. The supposed hole is not covered by fluid and is not visible. That is why I would like to know if such a small hole if present could cause much of a leak at this spot on the case?
The other fishy thing is he didn't want to poke at the leak area because then the remanufacturer would not give a core return if the hole was evident and he said it would cost me $600 more.

Last edited by Abbo; 11/21/03 01:46 PM.

1998 Black SE Contour Sport V6 2.5L DOHC Automatic, Moonroof, CD Player
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
rue, but i gotta wonder if he put that fluid there, it looks too coincedntal that the hole just happens to be THERE.

A
Abbo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I am almost positive he put it there but I figure it was to mark which compartment the hole was supposedly in otherwise there would have been fluid in all the other compartments. Or he left the fluid in that compartment and cleaned all the others. When I showed up with a camera and took pictures and they still were insisting the leak existed in this spot I really had no where to go except ask if they were sure this wasn't just residual fluid and he said they were sure. The only defense I can think of for them is that there is no reason I can think of to go to this lengths when they could have simply said I blew a gasket or something like that and I wouldn't have been the least bit suspicious. Unless they spent so much time looking for a leak that didn't exist that they figured they had to go more extremes to recoup the time.

Last edited by Abbo; 11/21/03 07:51 PM.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Quote:

The area he pointed out could not have possibly "blown out" from my battery escapade but I suppose if it is a bad cast and a pinhole leak as he said then it may have been the final straw.

I think you have mentioned a key point here!

??bad casting? = MANUFACTURING DEFECT!

Manufacturing defect = NOT YOUR FAULT OR DOING!

Porosity problems and other such casting defects occur at the foundry during the manufacturing process .
If you are under warranty, this tranny failure should be a non-issue. Even if you are out of warranty, this should be an exceptional case as far as Ford is concerned. A casting defect of this nature is a MAJOR problem that your car has had since the day it was first made. You will probably have to press your case to Ford directly as the dealership most likely does not have the authority to make these kind of decisions/ exceptions.

I think you have a good shot at getting this covered because the core of the problem is...

YOUR TRANSMISSION CASING WAS MANUFACTURED WRONG!

It will probably be a long hard fight to get this covered, but don??t give up!

Quote:

he said that a JB weld would not last on aluminum and offered no other solution.

Oh, BTW, JB Weld is specifically designed to adhere to aluminum as well as other ferrous and non-ferrous metals, so what the dealer told you is BS! I have personally used JB Weld on everything from oil pans to water pumps and have NEVER had a failure. The key is proper surface preparation and cleanliness. While this stuff should not be used on critical or highly stressed assemblies such as suspension components or internal engine assemblies, it is flat amazing for repairing other stuff, especially castings

See for yourself:Click on "products", then the JB Weld picture.
Also click on "creative uses"

JB Weld home page

Former, now returned CEG'er! 95SE MTX, (AKA "The Road Rat"). Stock except for:TH fix, B.A.T. big brake kit, tranny cocktail and lots of re-insulated wiring! May yet be a 3.0! "Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does!"
A
Abbo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Thanks for the great information. It is out of warranty and I am sure they would have found an easier cheaper solution if it was under warranty.
I plan on contacting Ford and writing the service manager although I don't hold much hope.

L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
i would just JB weld it and tell the dealer to suck your

A
Abbo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I screwed up early on when I panicked and took it to the dealer before making sure I had an actual continuous leak. I ok'd the work because I trusted his word that there was no fix except replacing the case or the whole transmission. If I had seen this area before they dropped the trans I would have most certainly driven it out of there. It has been one bad decision after another in this case. It must have something to do with age because I am usually pretty good at figuring the best way to proceed in these matters. It all started on the day I was going to look under the car and see if I felt like tackling the oil pan gasket myself and it gets worse each day. Oh well!

L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
whast the total damages to your wallet abbo?

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
My fur still bristles when I remember the dealer here telling me I needed a complete tranny rebuild ($2200). The problem had nothing to do with the transmission. I simply had cheap plug wires that were interferring with the electronics of the tranny. I had a good time going back and telling him. Well anyway, Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you get some satisfaction somewhere along the line. John

1998 ContourLX V6 ATX Cats Gutted+MIL Eliminators Grandma gave me the finger
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard