Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
I want to thank I8RICE & CHKNHWK for their efforts.

Power seems to be good everywhere except the plugs. The starter turns, the fuel pump kicks on but she don't start.
We checked all the fuses all are ok.
The PATS light seems to flash like normal.

Any other suggestions of things to check would be greatly welcome.

Thanks

Brian D. Passaro 1986 Daytona Turbo Z Red with T-Tops 1995 Mustang GT Convertible Yellow Black Top 1998 Contour SVT E0 Silver Frost #3734 of 6535
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
There is a proceedure in the Haynes manual for checking the coil pack, but I don't have it with me. Somebody here should be able to give you the general resistance limits for our plug wires so you can check to see if those are at fault.

There is also a ground wire or TWO (so I've read) that attatch at the corners of the coil pack, make sure it/those are in place.

Sounds like you're almost there...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Thanks for the suggestion, we actualy did test the resistance in the coil it seemed ok. I'll have to check the grounds on the coil! I don't think we did that. Can't wait to get home and see if that's it.

Thanks again,

Brian D. Passaro 1986 Daytona Turbo Z Red with T-Tops 1995 Mustang GT Convertible Yellow Black Top 1998 Contour SVT E0 Silver Frost #3734 of 6535
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
I can't remember for sure, but I think the coils are operated by switch ground on/off. If you have power to the coils and no spark, check the crank or cam position sensor.

99 SE Sport..ATX SVT exhaust SVT zip tube and air cleaner assembly Tinted windows 17 Cougar Zn Wheels
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by tucker:
I can't remember for sure, but I think the coils are operated by switch ground on/off. If you have power to the coils and no spark, check the crank or cam position sensor.

That ground kinda sounds like the the problem, we tried cam position sensor. Will have to look into the crank sensor.

Thanks for the info,

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Well the ground was ok, still doesn't start.

L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
i would start at the plug wires...just a thought.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I dont have the wiring diagram in front of me, but basically you'll need to confirm that your getting a pulse on 3 of the wires that go into the coil pack. When you say you have power on the coil pack, I assume you've measured one or more of the input wires. The next question is weather you get a voltage change on any of the wires when the car is cranked. It's these pulses which are greatly 'stepped up' by the coil pack creating the high voltage to fire the plugs. No input pulses, no output. Hope this helps, I'll dig out my manual when I get home to see if I can provide some measurement points and expected measurements...

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by tw0wheelin:
I dont have the wiring diagram in front of me, but basically you'll need to confirm that your getting a pulse on 3 of the wires that go into the coil pack. When you say you have power on the coil pack, I assume you've measured one or more of the input wires. The next question is weather you get a voltage change on any of the wires when the car is cranked. It's these pulses which are greatly 'stepped up' by the coil pack creating the high voltage to fire the plugs. No input pulses, no output. Hope this helps, I'll dig out my manual when I get home to see if I can provide some measurement points and expected measurements...

We did test the C1, C2, C3 wires while cranking, I don't think they pulse. I have power to the four wire when the key is in the on postition. I also read something about the TP sensor that may cause the car not to start, I'll try to check that out tonight.

Thanks for the help,

I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
hey brian i have a tps at home from my stock throttle body i know it won't let your car idle nice since the regular 2.5 and the svt throttle bodies open different but it should let your car start if your's is bad give me a call and we can give it a whirl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard