Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
My money is on the plugs & wires. There were some extensive postings on these issues recently, & its fairly easy to correct.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
If the problem is like mine, it is not related to an ignition failure. The engine is not jumping rpms or bucking, the car just bounces after applying the throttle. Just like if there was a delay from the time you press on the gas pedal and the time the car moves. Note that there is no delay with the rpm. This results in a hard take off and your head going back and forth like the first time you drove manual. Well, anyways, my problem is like that and I think your problem is similar.

1999 CSVT - 104000kms, Black/tan RU-3530, 17" Rage Enduro, Hella Optilux fogs BAT kit on its way ! 1997 Contour gl sport Zetec mtx SVT Shocks and Struts No resonator SPEC stage 1 clutch
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
Komet seems to be on the money.

the engine runs and sounds like it is running fine even when applying throttle. this and my new parts (since it was time, didn't due plugs and wires to isolate this problem), makes me think that it's drivetrain problem(s). not engine problems like plugs/wires or TPS.

engine does not stutter, and note i HAVE had bad wires before and have had multiple cars that were misfiring so i know what that's like.

i think i'm going to have to wait until spring to due the clutch although i do have a second car now so maybe it's a good time. Never done a clutch before

it doesn't chatter excesively when i take off quickly. just a little more than it should.
do these cars have more slack in them than others? anyone notice? because i see a HUGE difference when driving my car and others (hyundia evos (in chile, what a POS), wrx, wrx, golf, my old golf, a mustang, a saab). i'll wait until Komet does his i guess as i'm not tackling this install until i have a reasonable idea that it will help.

my car has about 60k miles on it on the original clutch and second owner. I happen to know original driver is quite good.

Last edited by Oo.et.oO; 11/07/03 06:36 PM.

for sale: E0 (98) Silver Frost SVT/Contour http://contour.org/carprofile/carprofile.cgi?a=display&uid=667 wanted: front SVT bumper mesh, 01/02 S4 avant, nogaro blue.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Quote:

1. something in the drivetrain feels like it's "bouncing"...
2. my car has been giving me this trouble for at least a year and recently got much worse...
3. the motormounts seem fine...
4. my car has about 60k miles...
5. makes me think that it's drivetrain problem(s).
etc., etc.

IMHO, I think you have already figured this one out. You have repeatedly mentioned that the problem feels mechanical and that it is in the drivetrain. Are these the original motor mounts? If so, at 60k miles on a MTX they are most likely shot even though they "seem" fine. The mounts slowly give out, not all at once, so it is not as noticable until they get to the totally shot point. This is just as you described in your point #2. Even if they are not, there about due and you would still be WAY ahead of the game replacing them with new SVT mounts with the urethane inserts. Your descriptions of the symptoms are classic motor mount failure.

If you have not replaced your mounts I'll bet your problem goes away when you DO replace them.

Sorry if I appear to be coming off overly cocky/confident on this, but you are describing exactly what I went through with my mounts. Please let us know how you made out on this. We all try to help out here and knowing the resolution to a situation helps expand our collective knowledge base.

Last edited by Stevedrivr; 11/08/03 02:05 PM.

Former, now returned CEG'er! 95SE MTX, (AKA "The Road Rat"). Stock except for:TH fix, B.A.T. big brake kit, tranny cocktail and lots of re-insulated wiring! May yet be a 3.0! "Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does!"
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
so i really don't think it's the engine/tranny mounts at all because the engine just does NOT rock. i watched it while engaging the clutch and disengaging while on the brakes and it moves no more than a millimeter or two.

Komet, how goes your clutch install?

i think i'm still covered under extened warantee so i might just have to bring it in to ford, at least for a diagnosis. if it's the clutch i dunno if it will be covered...

i'll keep us updated.

for sale: E0 (98) Silver Frost SVT/Contour http://contour.org/carprofile/carprofile.cgi?a=display&uid=667 wanted: front SVT bumper mesh, 01/02 S4 avant, nogaro blue.
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I have this problem, it's not very bad, it doesn't necessarily bother me. I know it is not my clutch because It's only got about 10,000 miles or so on it. The old clutch did it, so does this one. I test drove a different SVT before mine and it did it too, I just thought it was something these cars do. Let us know if you figure it out tho, I wouldn't mind gettin rid of it.

And it is NOT anything ignition related. Anotehr way to explain it i guess would be you have two gears next to each other and they should fit together perfectly with no slack but they don't,it feels like the slot for the tooth of the gear is too big and the tooth bounces b/n the two walls of the slot for a second and then catches and takes off. At least that's what mine feels like.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Quote:

so i really don't think it's the engine/tranny mounts at all

Sorry to hear it wasn't the mounts because that would have been a simple, relatively inexpensive fix! Keep us posted.

Former, now returned CEG'er! 95SE MTX, (AKA "The Road Rat"). Stock except for:TH fix, B.A.T. big brake kit, tranny cocktail and lots of re-insulated wiring! May yet be a 3.0! "Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does!"
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
so the dealer thinks it's the MAF which seems like a load of crap to me, since the engine doesn't surge or rev when the car "bounces".
but i'm going to bring it home and do new plugs and wires AGAIN ("borrowed" a set ), clean the MAF, TB, IAC, UIM and see what happens.

they "confirmed" the "bucking, jerking" (their words not mine).

then ran the computer self test which passed
scanned the PIDs for the MAF and found that
the "barro PID" was at 147, which basically means the car thinks i'm at 5000 ft, i assume barro stands for barrometer for measureing atmospheric pressure.

anyone seen this before? did cleaning the MAF help?

and on a related question, assume i do the above work, it doesn't help, so i replace (even temporarily) the MAF, which doesn't work, so i replace the clutch which fixes my problem. what are my chances on getting a refund from ford, based on a "misdiagnosis", for the diagnosis charge (~$60)?

Last edited by Oo.et.oO; 11/20/03 07:03 PM.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
If I were you..... I would try EVERYTHING else before the clutch. I've done this job and it's definitely not a job for the beginner. If you do it Ford's way, you'll need an A frame to support the motor after you've dropped the front subframe to get the transaxle out. It's the method I used but next time I'm going to remove the whole motor & transaxle as it looks way easier, plus I won't have to d**k around with destroyed subframe insulators. Ford quotes 9 hours of labour and that's with all the correct tools, hydraulic press, etc. It's nasty!

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
i was looking forward to doing the clutch in a weird way. but of course i won't do it until i know i have to. i was going to do upgraded shift forks and tower while it was out... we'll see.

i've done them in VWs but that was like a 2 hour job the first time. i can drop the tranny like i would a starter, it only weighs like 120 lbs....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard