Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Okay, so 2 days ago I noticed that it was grinding a bit and making some noise, so I immediately checked the level and it was a bit low... not too low, but definitely low, so no problem... I topped it off. The next day, same thing, so I topped it off before I left for work in the morning, and it was fine again... I was thinking maybe there was air in the system or something that it had to work out and now it's topped off and all good. When I was leaving work, it was low again and now I was worried and decided to fix it when I got home. I checked where it was leaking from and it had leaked from the bottom of the resivwar tank. No problem, I pulled it out, trimmed both hoses back and then re attached them so that it was fresh hose sealing on the tank and not stretched. Everything seemed great for about 5 minutes as the car ran and I was cleaning up.

I went to pull the car into the garage and when I turned the wheel I heard a "POP"! I got out to see what the hell the noise was and power steering had literally exploded all over the passengers side wheel (through the spokes) and there was like 3 quarts of red power steering fluid all down the driveway. LOVELY. I checked where it was leaking from and it looks like the boot on the power steering rack. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY TOUR'?! Please tell me this isn't going to be a big deal (and too much $$$) to fix. I am really screwed here from the looks of it. HELP!

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
My 98 Tour did the exact same thing last summer.The Ford stealership wanted $800.00 to replace it.The rack itself was $400.-500. and the rest was labour.Not a fun job to change.These are Canadian prices so it would be a little less in your case.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by CKtour98:
My 98 Tour did the exact same thing last summer.The Ford stealership wanted $800.00 to replace it.The rack itself was $400.-500. and the rest was labour.Not a fun job to change.These are Canadian prices so it would be a little less in your case.

Do you know what was the cause? Is there a check valve for pressure that didn't release properly? I can't fathom that a seal blew w/o excessive pressure behind it. Bill

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I have no idea what caused it.It made a grinding kind of noise when I was pulling out of my driveway...pulled out,went to make another turn and POP!!!That was it,no more power steering.They just said the rack was GONE.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
It could be the hoses had to much pressure on them, your not suppoused to cut down hoses, your suppoused to repalce them.

My guess is the hoses had to much pressure build up and it surged and it blew up, it had to release the pressure somehow, it did it by blowing up.

What exactly "blew up" if it was your pump, good luck on replacing it yourself, you cant do it unless you have something to support the engine. You have to take off the sepertine belt by releaseing the tensioner, which first you have to take off an engine mount, that is why the engine needs to be supported on a block that weights a few hundreds pounds.

As for cost it isnt looking good, if it is the pump you will have to have them remove the sepentine belt and most likely need a new one because that one will ahve fluid all over it so it junk that will cost $85, - $7.00 if you dont have A/C. Then the pump will cost whatever it does, plus the time to install it, and you will need fluid.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
which first you have to take off an engine mount, that is why the engine needs to be supported on a block that weights a few hundreds pounds.

Or you can just get a floor jack and a piece of wood...to support the engine, that worked fine when I replaced my timing belt/water pump. I don't know what engine he has but, the pump is fairly easy to remove.

But yet I don't think it would be the pump to blow a seal on the rack..stumped me man, sorry

Alan 93 Acura Integra LS 5spd Horizon Gray Metallic ------------------------- -96 Gl Zetec ATX- Totaled as of 11/29/03 at 4pm Champagne Metallic CC Pics
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
It could be the hoses had to much pressure on them, your not suppoused to cut down hoses, your suppoused to repalce them.

My guess is the hoses had to much pressure build up and it surged and it blew up, it had to release the pressure somehow, it did it by blowing up.

What exactly "blew up" if it was your pump, good luck on replacing it yourself, you cant do it unless you have something to support the engine. You have to take off the sepertine belt by releaseing the tensioner, which first you have to take off an engine mount, that is why the engine needs to be supported on a block that weights a few hundreds pounds.

As for cost it isnt looking good, if it is the pump you will have to have them remove the sepentine belt and most likely need a new one because that one will ahve fluid all over it so it junk that will cost $85, - $7.00 if you dont have A/C. Then the pump will cost whatever it does, plus the time to install it, and you will need fluid.

Seeing that he said he "trimmed" the hoses, I don't think they were too short, thus causing any problems. I've visited and replaced both the steering rack and the pump on my Taurus. Granted, they are different vehicles, but I was trying to understand what led up to this failure. If the grinding noise was indeed in the pump, and not the rack itself, then something in the pump caused excessive pressure build up. This pressure build up is most likely what led to the rack housing seal to blow. I would attempt to replace the rack and pump myself, but that is me.
Sorry this isn't more specific to your original question.

Edit: End quote relocated.

Last edited by horseydug; 11/02/03 04:13 PM.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It is not likely that the hoses or the pump had anything to do with the rack failure.

The main culpret was probably winter road salt. If the rack gets salt onto the part of the rack that passes through the seals, that part corrodes and gets rough, both making it harder for the seal to seal and also tearing up the seal. You are not the first this has happened to.

You will need to have the rack replaced.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I agree...it has nothing to do with the pump or the lines.When my rack went for sh*t it made the same noises and happened the same way.Both the pump and hoses were fine.Just the rack..

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Big Jim:
It is not likely that the hoses or the pump had anything to do with the rack failure.

The main culpret was probably winter road salt. If the rack gets salt onto the part of the rack that passes through the seals, that part corrodes and gets rough, both making it harder for the seal to seal and also tearing up the seal. You are not the first this has happened to.

You will need to have the rack replaced.

Jim, just a data point; the rack is what passes thru the seal. This rack is protected by the bellows as is the inner tie rod end. Unless there was a break in the bellows/boot, nothing would contaminate the rack. The rack is supported by bronze bushings on each end of the rack housing. I still wonder how a failure as described could have resulted. Leaking rack housing seals are one thing, a "blow out" as described makes me wonder further. Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard