Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
that sounds gnarly. i wouldn't think it would be the sway bar (nor lack there of, as it should not affect straight line stability all that much).

if your tie rod(s) are bent this could contribute, especially if you were on a rutted road.

or if your control arms are bent it could definitely wander and then go the other way when you turned the wheel to correct it.

i'd take a look at those items before you have the diff checked out.

always go cheapest to most expensive if at all possible.

best of luck!

for sale: E0 (98) Silver Frost SVT/Contour http://contour.org/carprofile/carprofile.cgi?a=display&uid=667 wanted: front SVT bumper mesh, 01/02 S4 avant, nogaro blue.
L
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
L
thanks guys,. ill keep you posted...y'all are awesome

L
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
L
edit to last post: i will pull the engine and look at the diff tonite...im praying...

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
What! Your going to pull the engine to look at a diff? How about testing to see if it does it with the clutch in, no power going to the diff should be letting it freewheel if its still doing it then its probably suspension issues. That's a lot of work to look at something and if it looks normal then what?

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
ive got a stock svt differential from my 99 svt mtx 75 with 60k that looks brand new if you want it for cheap.

99 T-RED 3L SVT Apillar Guages How-To 3L 98 CSVT SF/MB 4 SALE 7500 obo pm me
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I agree.. check the tie rod..
in the rears and the front Control Arms ("A" frame)

This caused my car to "sway" so much I feard my shocks and struts were shot..
the lower control arm was bent terribly, although I never really hit anything, that I knew of.

Fixed it and it was like a new car...

Easily done, especially when compared to puling the engine!

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I didn't see it mentioned, but is it possible that a caliper is dragging?

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
L
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
L
i checked the front suspension and tie rods...but what i didnt check was the rear. i have a bent lower control arm in the rear i got under it and looked, and it had a fuggin s-curve in it...left rear. it wasnt bad barely noticeable in fact. but i guess it doesnt take much...in turn, whatever eric (the guy that borrowed my car) did, apparently it broke my strut on the left rear as well. i took a control arm off my neighbors contour (same year and model) and slapped it on and took it down western center and got up to 50...handles much better. it was actually driveable at all speeds, it was just bouncy as hell in the back from the strut being broken. im wagering it was the curb that broke the cars axle (a.k.a. straw that broke camels back)... it doesnt look too hard to fix, i can probably do it at dads machine shop to performa a temporary fix until my new one gets here. anyway, since my neighbor is saving the car for his daughter, (who is only 14)and its being driven very rarely, he said i could keep the control arm and strut from the left rear of his car until i find new ones...hes a great guy! phew!!!*wipes sweat from forehead* im glad myself and you guys had the foresight to check the rear suspension before i pulled the engine...i woulda 'd myself when i found nothing wrong in the diff.

thanks CEG, y'all are great...ok...back to work *sighs*

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
No that still doesn't sound like it, I'd pull the interior out and look under each seat for a.....

I'm kidding! Isn't it great when you find the problem and it's something you can fix!!!

Congrats Z!

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
L
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
L
yeah it is...im wondering if i should just cut the springs and lower it while im in there...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard