Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
L
and he told me something i really dont want hear. he said that under acceleration, the car sways back and forth. when he got back, i drove it and sure enough, it is. now it wasnt doing it when i loaned it to him, im not looking to seek damages from him, since h is my friend and he babies everything, this probably is not his fault. i did a search and came up with causes from motor mounts, to bad suspension, to tranny/diff problems all the way up to timing issues...my question is, which is it...anybody help? the swaying is bad enough that the car actually pulls itself from one side to the other...its too dangerous to drive it, so any help is appreciated.

BTW, 1995 (yes i figured out it was a 1995, not a 96) Contour GL MTX, 109K miles. Zetec engine...

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The only time I've ever experienced something like that, I had a tire with a bubble (tread separation). It was wierd, I couldn't figure it out until the tire freakin' exploded.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Yeah, as a check, do a quick rotation of your tires and then test it. If the shake is gone, there's your culprit.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
L
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
L
i will do that tonite, buti checked them last night... i didnt see anything. i hope its not differential problems. i talkted to Mr. haines he said its possible...

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Anything that could've been caused by "mud runnin'" & other abuse for which this particular vehicle was not intended???

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
And what do you mean sways back and forth? Front to back, or side to side? That can mean a whole different enchilada!

Good luck!

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
i had a bubble(egg) in my tire on a 93 taurus.. could not feel it at all.. but when the tire was removed from the car you could see it very well when rolling the tire in the driveway... also on a 96 contour(original firestone tires, still pretty new at the time. lots of thread) the tires would click when rotating on the car..... pulled tire off car and then off the rim.. it had a bad belt in it.. but you could only see it from the inside of the tire........

L
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
L
Originally posted by NateCox:
And what do you mean sways back and forth? Front to back, or side to side? That can mean a whole different enchilada!

Good luck!

its swaying side to side. and its not an issue until about 25 MPH. thats when it becomes really hard to control...and then at 45, i cant keep it on the road (went into a ditch on my way back from having the rotors turned.) its really bad. its like the differential sends all the power to the left front wheel and then suddenly shifts it all to the right front wheel and vice versa. it starts on the left, pulls the car (quite fast) to the right and when i correct that it starts pulling back over to the left again. its not the rotors i had them turned saturday (to see if that was the prob) and it seems to pull harder the faster i go. its not the tires, i rotated them and thouroghly (sp?) inspected them...no bubbles . It feels an awful lot like a bent driveshaft. i dont think its associated with the mudding SVZETEC, because it has been 2 1/2 weeks...and i didnt hit any rocks or anything hard enough to bend that shaft. Struts are fine. i cant think af anything else except maybe differential issues .

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
That is a doozie....

I wonder if your steering is okay. Check your front sway bar as well. Loose parts?

I'm at a loss. But be careful whatever you do, if the car is undrivable you want to baby it.

L
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
L
everything is fine in th esteering. Mr. Haines said that its probably the differential "torque Steering". he said its probably shot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard