Next Thread
Print Thread
#780666 10/24/03 10:39 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
What does it mean to "Knauberize" your car?
It means to remove the door ding guards from the doors of your car.
(there are no holes or anything underneath)

Why is it called "Knauberize"?
It is named after the first CEGer to remove his door ding guards - Robert Knauber of the Capitol CEG.

Before removing the door ding guards, please note the following problems reported:

- clearcoat issues -
Some CEGers have removed their door ding guards to find that there is no clearcoat underneath. Once the door ding guard was removed, the lack of clearcoat resulted in a "ridge" of clearcoat - often referred to as "racing stripe" that looks unappealing.

This occurs typically for one of two reasons:
1. During production, the door ding guards were applied before the clearcoat was applied to the car.

2. The door(s) had to be repainted for whatever reason, and the bodyshop applied cleacoat over the door ding guards.

- paint fade -
If your car is any combination of the following:
1. dark color
2. older
3. spent a lot of time in the sun
4. does not get waxed often, if at all

Due to any combination of the above factors, the paint underneath the door ding guards may be slightly to moderately different than the rest of your car. Unlike the rest of your paint which fades over time due to being exposed to the elements, having wax applied, etc. the areas under the door dings are not waxed, exposed to the sun/elements, etc.

Sample:

Check the door dings to see if you have any clearcoat issues or paint fade prior to removing them!

Examine each door ding carefully:
1. Gently peel up one end of a door ding guard.

2. Observe carefully to see if there is a clearcoat "ridge"
If you do have a ridge, you may want to reconsider removing the door ding guards.
Keep in mind that if you remove the door ding guard, you will have a "racing stripe".

3. Compare the color of the paint underneath the door ding guard and the paint on your door.
If the paint color is different, you may want to reconsider removing the door ding guards.

4. Now move to other end of the door ding guard you just checked and repeat the process.

5. Repeat steps 1-5 for the remaining three door ding guards.

** Use the following instructions at your own risk. **

Time: 30 - 120 minutes

What you will need:
- hairdryer (optional, but recommended)
- extension cord (to use with hairdryer)
- gloves - mechanic's, work, etc.
- fishing line - 10 lb+ test
- t-shirt or rag
- Goo-Gone
- car wash stuff
- car waxing stuff

Do this on a warm, sunny day, as this will make the removal of the adhesive much easier.

1. Hairdryer
Use the hairdryer on hot to heat up the first door ding guard you plan to remove.
By heating up the door ding guard, the adhesive underneath will be much softer and easier to remove.

2. Fishing line
Cut a piece of fishing line long enough to wrap around your gloved hands.
Slide the fishing line underneath the edge of the door ding guard and pull towards the opposite end.
After it has gone about 6 inches, you can take the fishing line out.

3. Remove door ding guard
Grab the end of the door ding guard that is now apart from the car and start pulling it towards the opposite end.
It should come off fairly easily.
You should see a gray or black strip of adhesive.

4. Clean
Use a rag to gently brush away any debris that may be surrounding the adhesive area.
You don't want to start rolling/peeling the adhesive an inadvertently scratch you paint.

5. Remove adhesive
You can either wear a glove or wrap a t-shirt or rag around your thumb.
Don't use your bare thumb unless you enjoy pain and blisters.
Start at one end of the adhesive and try to roll the adhesive towards the opposite end.
Use the hairdryer to keep the adhesive soft - heat is the key to removal.

Once you have finished, move onto each door ding guard and repeat steps 1-5.

6. Observe
Check each door for any remaining adhesive - there may be some small pieces left.
Use a rag and Goo-Gone to remove.
Other products CEGers have used: 3M General Purpose Advesive Remover, WD40, rubbing alcohol, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.

7. Wash and dry
Wash and dry the doors as you would normally would.

8. WAX
Remember, the paint under he door ding guards have never been waxed, so wax them!

9. Enjoy!

There are other methods, but I feel this is the safest (least likely to sratch your paint) way.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#780667 10/24/03 11:24 PM
D
CEG'er
CEG'er
D
thats one clean ass car

*I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumbass www.fast4doors.com
#780668 10/25/03 03:32 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
nice write up and good to see that gators svt lives on.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
#780669 11/04/03 02:39 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
GOO GONE!!

#780670 05/17/04 02:46 AM
S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
i have a 95..its light in color...that goldish...champaigne (whats the actual name?) my question is, will i have to worry about racing stripes? i just removed an inspection sticker from the back bumper that had been on the car since it was new and the paint was darker underneath...

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
#780671 05/31/04 11:01 PM
T
Historical Gator
Historical Gator
T
Mwahahaah....Looks like my car does indeed live on. The kid who boughtit ended up painting it House of Kolor candy apple red with ghost flames. I'll try and dig up some pics he linked me to at one point.

#780672 06/07/04 07:23 PM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I just got done doing this....I bought automotive WIPE AWAY (found at Walmart) and what I did with the adhesive was very generously soaked the adhesive with WIPE AWAY and than waited 5 minutes, and repeated. I did this 3 times and than started rubbing and it came off super easy. All 4 doors took me maybe 30 minutes to remove all adhesive. No blisters, no pain!

I than proceeded to wash, claybared. Than I got out the polisher and proceeded to rubbing compound followed by swirl mark remover. I finally finished up with polish, and S100 all 4 doors and it looks pretty darn good. Obviously the following added a couple of hours, but in the end it was definitely worth it.

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
#780673 07/18/04 10:09 PM
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
I just did this to my contour, I used something called an eraser, its basically an attachment for a d/a sander or buffer that looks very similar to an ordinary eraser, anyways, it took about 5 minutes a door to get the glue off. I hit it with a quick shot of compound afterwards and it looks as if the ding guard was never there. Just thought this may help others, good luck

Just Bought My First Contour
#780674 08/24/04 03:38 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Here's a site that carries these items...your local auto repair supply store should have something like this...

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
#780675 09/01/04 03:09 PM
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
I just did this last weekend, on my 1998.5 Black SVT. I was worried at first that I would have the "Racing Stripes", but after I de-baged, the car to install my side markers, I was confident that I wouldn't have an over spray problem. I used the same Ideas, from this post/thread, but varried just a little. The first door I used a thicker piece of fishing line to "saw" the sticky tape behind the ding guards, but after a few inches I noticed very light, scratching on the door paint , so I went to a smaller guage fishing line(the smallest I had) I just pulled enough out so I could double it back two or three times for strength. The smaller guage was the ticket, it was thin enough so that when I was sawing back and forth it only rubbed on the ding guard, and not my door (just to make sure I had my son, pull gently on the guard out ward, so I could see all take place)

Once the ding guards were off, I washed the doors off with car washing soap, dried and used a Adhesive removal spray, that I bought at Napa. Let sit for a few seconds, and the remaining adhesive, rolled/rubbed off very easy. I just used my thumb, and rolled the tape in one direction, it was fast.

As for the remaining residue (Wax, sticky stuff) I still used the adhesive remover and gently rubbed almost all of it out. For what was left I used a 3M cleaner wax (Paste) and it all came out

Start to finish 1.5-2 hours, not including waxing the rest of the car.

I was sceptical, at first, but I would recomend removing the badges first to see what your fender looks like under them, if the door ding guard still comes out bad be gentle taking them off so that you can re-apply them if need be.

If you want to see the results check out my cardomain.com link below I just posted the pics yesterday.

JC

1998.5, Black, SVT #5638 of 6535 "Lead, Follow, or get the hell out the way" http://members.cardomain.com/19contour98

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard