Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I don't understand why people worry about the weight of the rims because 90+% don't ever race there car. They stress out about finding the weight of the wheels then deciding what wheel they want from there limited choices. Can someone help me understand. I just bought a set of 19" wheels Konig Verdicts that weight alot more than stock and i cant even tell the difference in power or get up and go. Unless you have your car completely gutted with nothing more than a racing seat for the driver and thats it why worry about 30 - 40lbs extra. I am just trying to understand.

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
It's not JUST the wheels. People interested in losing weight don't just get lighter tires and say that's it. They try and lose weight all around the car, including the wheels. After a few lighter parts, it can really add up.

99 Silver CSVT
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Go back to 15's or 16's and you'll see why people worry about weight. It is hard to tell a diff when you up-size but you will assuredly notice if you go back down.

It is not only acceleration that is effected but deceleration as well.

FOR SALE - '00 Tropic Green SVT, #804
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
What did you start with? If you go from 21-25lbs. stock rims to 25-30lbs. aftermarket you're not going to notice a huge difference, but I guarantee if you slapped on some 15lbs. forged wheels, you would be able to tell.

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
I'm on my 6th set of wheels of various sizes.

Most recenlty I went from 25lb+ 18" wheels to 15lb wheels.

The first time I took the car out, I was able to spin the wheels in 2nd with no problems whatsoever - which took effort with the 18s.

Pickup/acceleration was dramatically improved. Reducing weight in the car is one thing, reducing unsprung weight seems to be much more dramatic.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I forgot the exact formula but for every pound of weight taken off a corner its roughly equivalent to if you were to remove 65-85 pounds of total weight from the car.

ie you start with a 3500 car with 25 pound 17's then you drop 5 pounds each wheel to 20. That is roughly like reducing the weight of your car 65*5 = by 325 pounds! I can look up the formula and its probably all over the web but its the centrifugal forces that do some damage. Lighter wheels also are easier to slow down as well. So in a nutshell light wheels increase performance, make the car feel lighter, and its a braking mod as well. That is what all the hype is about.

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Sitin on 19's:
I just bought a set of 19" wheels Konig Verdicts that weight alot more than stock and i cant even tell the difference in power or get up and go.

I consider myself pretty hamfisted when it comes to diagnosing changes in my car's handling, acceleration, and overall performance, and yet the difference was night and day between my stock 15" and the 4lb heavier 16" I originally put on the car. And that was not a race situation with a gutted car. Going from stock to 4 lb lighter wheels was like heaven.

Weight matters. Every pound shaved from total weight is worth more than the last, unlike hp, which is expensive and offers diminishing returns. Rotating weight, throughout the drivetrain, is worth, oh heck, 6-10 times more than static weight. Unsprung, rotating weight (wheels and suspension), affects handling, as well as acceleration and braking.

And no, it's not just for the race track. It's the difference between a plodding, heavy-feeling blvd cruiser, and a nimble, athletic sports sedan. It's a difference even I can feel.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
I don't get it either...anyone wanna buy these 15lb wheels I've got so I can go and get some "bling" on the car...I'm just kidding of course.

People go with lightweight wheels because dropping rotational mass is a huge acceleration improver. Supposedly for every pound of rotational mass lost equals approximately 8lbs. of dead weight.

My wheel/tire combo weighed 6 lbs less per corner. So for each corner I dropped 48lbs "theoretically".

There is a tradeoff when going with a larger lighter wheel as the mass is spread further from center.

Optimal package would be the same diameter wheel/tire but less weight.

2002 ZO6...462whp/410wtq pretty darn fast!11.70 @ 122 silver/black 2006 Trailblazer SS(wifes car) silver/black 2000 SVT-Turbo-sold silver/blue #1699/2150 13.83 @ 102.82 on 5psi 13.51 @ 107.56 on 8psi
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I am kind of starting understand but tell me this. How many of you have subwoofers in your trunk. Or how many of you are on the heavier side weight wise ( i am not being rude just trying to get a better grip on it)

I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
its all about that performance...

take a set of 12.5lbs 15" wheels against your 19s...u better believe there will be a huge difference.

But if you don't care too much for performance it wouldn't bother you, or the average person for that matter.

you might benefit from bigger wheels by having a wider tire but if your wheels weigh more than stock ur killin ur performance overall...

And yea having subs in the trunk wouldn't make much sense if you were worried about rim weight

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard