Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 1314:
Originally posted by unisys12:
The cracks that you are seeing (sider webbing) is the UV coating. It dries out and can crack. The only way you can correct this is buy using the wet sanding method. You actually have to remove the coating.

You really have to look at this UV coating just like you would the clearcoat on your paint. If it is physically damaged, as in cracked or scratched, you have to remove the coating down below the defect. Then you can restore it.

In our case, I don't think you can just go out and buy this UV coating persay, but the clear plastic products mentioned do add some water and UV protection. I am not sure at what level, but I do know it adds some.

So do I just sand away until it clears up? I definitely don't have hazing and it clearly looks like spiderwebbing. If the UV coating gets completely sanded off, is the only problem going to be the headlights hazing a lot faster, or could there be more damage than hazing?

My UV coating was actually chipping off, like flakes. I sanded them and everything. I was very happy.....at first. Now I have to use plasitic polish on them every time I wash my car because they haze soo fast. I have heard of ppl waxing the headlights. I havent yet, but I am goin to and see it that helps slow the hazing down and keep them clear longer.

Justin Schmidt 2000 SVT Tour #1620 of 2150 Born 1/15/2000
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by thejms:
Originally posted by 1314:
The cracks that you are seeing (sider webbing) is the UV coating. It dries out and can crack. The only way you can correct this is buy using the wet sanding method. You actually have to remove the coating.

You really have to look at this UV coating just like you would the clearcoat on your paint. If it is physically damaged, as in cracked or scratched, you have to remove the coating down below the defect. Then you can restore it.

In our case, I don't think you can just go out and buy this UV coating persay, but the clear plastic products mentioned do add some water and UV protection. I am not sure at what level, but I do know it adds some.

So do I just sand away until it clears up? I definitely don't have hazing and it clearly looks like spiderwebbing. If the UV coating gets completely sanded off, is the only problem going to be the headlights hazing a lot faster, or could there be more damage than hazing?

My UV coating was actually chipping off, like flakes. I sanded them and everything. I was very happy.....at first. Now I have to use plasitic polish on them every time I wash my car because they haze soo fast. I have heard of ppl waxing the headlights. I havent yet, but I am goin to and see it that helps slow the hazing down and keep them clear longer.

Yes, you would just sand litely, but enough to remove the layer of UV coating. I would stay with the 1500 grit and work slowly using even pressure. And like the how-to above states, finish your sanding with the 2000. Be sure, when using the 2000 grit, to sand in a different direction then what you did with the 1500. In other words - if you went from side to side with the 1500, then sand the lens at an angle such as \ or /.

You can easily check your sanding progress by pouring water over the lens, making sure to clean off any residue. The water will fill the scratches enough to give you and basic idea of how well you are doing in removing the coating. Take an area that you can plainly see the cracks and sand at it until it strikes you as to how you might be doing. Take a damp rag and wipe the area off, followed by pouring water on the lens. When it looks like glass and you can no longer see any of the cracks, to the point that you feel comfortable. Then wipe the lens dry and hit it with application of the plastic cleaner. See how it looks and go from there. After you are happy with everything, finish it off with the plastic polish.

I didn't have any hazing when I did mine the first time, only the spider (got it right that time!!)webs.

As for waxing, I used to do the same but have found that the clear plastic products do a much better job. Plus, it has also been noted here that caranuba wax can actually speed up the hazing process through chemical reactions. As I started in the above reply, the clear plastic products do add some UV protection and water beading properties.

Good luck!!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
I had mine done by some guy in Huntsville for a couple of Budwiesers, what a deal!!!

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by bk4293:
I had mine done by some guy in Huntsville for a couple of Budwiesers, what a deal!!!

LMAO! I did so many that weekend I lost count. I had headlights all over our room. Everyone was trying to eat pizza and sit on the beds, but there was all the headlights lying around. We had them on the TV, the beds, the sink, the end tables. I had nightmares about all those things in my room!! Then there was Amanda's husband who was clearing the corners in her new lights.

It was nuts!!

That reminds me, I need to make sure I take sosaudio1 (rich) that pair of pre98 stique lights I have. His were leaking at the last meet, so I will swap him these for those. Then I will fix his leaky one's.

I got these from a junkyard and took them home to clean them up. I had to take them apart because of some internal fogging that I could not get out, no matter what I tried. I sealed them up with some Flowable Silicone and now I need to tank'em to see how well they are sealed up.

Steve! Remind me!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T

I got these from a junkyard and took them home to clean them up. I had to take them apart because of some internal fogging that I could not get out, no matter what I tried. I sealed them up with some Flowable Silicone and now I need to tank'em to see how well they are sealed up.

Steve! Remind me!

Mine have internal hazing. I thought it was just fogging, so I put a rag on the end of a screwdriver and wiped out the insid and it fixed nothing. I am pretty disappointed. I am goin to attempt to take them appart and try to use my plastic cleaner/polish on them (maybe paint while I am inthere) but only after I can get to a scrap yard and see if I cant find 2 decent replacements.

Justin Schmidt 2000 SVT Tour #1620 of 2150 Born 1/15/2000
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Thanks. I'll be doing that to my headlights very soon. I'm not too worried about hazing since I don't drive my car regularly. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by thejms:

Steve! Remind me!

Mine have internal hazing. I thought it was just fogging, so I put a rag on the end of a screwdriver and wiped out the insid and it fixed nothing. I am pretty disappointed. I am goin to attempt to take them appart and try to use my plastic cleaner/polish on them (maybe paint while I am inthere) but only after I can get to a scrap yard and see if I cant find 2 decent replacements.

That's what I did to those. Worked pretty good, since they have not hazed back up since then and it has almost been 4 months since I did all that.

1314, just work slowly and take your time. I actually have done mine three or four times, just because when I first did them I was so scared I was going to mess something up. After a time or two with no ill effects, it built my confidence enough to really give it a go.

Good Luck!

R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Time for Phil to relocate to NorthEast

V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
FWIW, I just did mine starting out with 320 grit. Followed with 1500, compound, polish, and wax. The 320 cut pretty quickly and saved a lot of time and effort. End result is close to new, and it only took about an hour to do both.
/$0.02

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I have never used wet sandpaper before. How wet does it need to be ??

Thanks ...

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard