Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Sl33stak:
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
someone give some info on how they did their pre98 grill

im interested...n provide pics.

Hate to be this way,,,, but search

Here ya go.. Found it here, and did it this way..

Oh yeah, here's pics of my grill,,, HOME DEPOT is the place!! Nice limb huh?

That how to is for 98+. He was asking about a pre98 grill which is diff. I did my grill almost the same way the how to says. I got my mesh at an automotive store for around $35.

Last edited by maxx_power76; 10/24/03 12:01 PM.

Former owner: 1999 Contour SE Sport Current: 2000 Eclipse GT There are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way! Isn't that just the wrong way? Yeah, but faster!
M
M
I just picked up some ELKY Mesh from a fellow CEG member. I had the opportunity to put it in last night to my upper and lower front grill. The whole process only took about 2 hours and it looks great. I got the mesh for $40.00 and the only other costs I incurred were band-aids (the stuff is very sharp when cut) and screws to attach the mesh to the chrome housing.

Bottom Line....This is a great mod that is cost affective and easy to do yourself.

98 Contour SE SVT Body Kit Elky Mesh SVT Throttle Body K&N Induction 75 MAF Super Chip Borla Exhaust Sony X-plod Head 6 Disc Sony Changer Rockford 12" w/ 450watt Sony Amp
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by amarv12:
Price: Like $2-3 for a roll of gutter guard at Home Depot

Fastened with: Clear hot glue

Sidenotes: I did it on my post 98 mystique (on my old 99), and the procedure is a little different than contours. First theres 4 screws at the top of the grille when you open the hood--take those out, then to access the 3 allen screws below the grille, you need to carefully and gently bend the grille forward, and use one of those 90 degree bent allen keys (can't remember what size). It takes quite some time as you have very limited space to work with, but eventually you'll get them out. Then slide the grille back; once you get the grille off (for the way i did it) you need to cut out the vertical bars in the grille. Make sure the stubs are cut flush to the frame of the grille, so it looks good. Then all i did was slap some mesh in there slightly biggeer than the opening, and glued it on the grille in the back where you cant see.

*I am on the hunt for some better mesh however, because the gutter guard is kind of flimsy, and wears its shine quickly. Also when i find some new mesh, i'll probably use gel base super glue to make sure its extra tight, or figure something else out.

Also if you do use gutter guard, i would recommend putting a clear coat on it, so it keeps its shine. And if the spots where the stubs were cut flush bother you, then have your grille painted body color--to me, it doesn't stick out too much.

I have some finished pics here

Happy modding

So; this thread got me motivated to actually go look for mesh, so i hit up home depot to look around again. Most of you know already, but i just found out that most home depots dont even sell the rolls of gutter guard anymore--instead they sell these 3' sheets. These sheets are much better than the old stuff i had from the roll, much thicker--higher guage, and just generally sturdier.
So, i re-meshed my grille, and this time i used screws to fasten it, along with hot glue. Also i cleaned the mesh and get a chance to put on some clearcoat early this morning, it looks great.

This picture is a little big, so i'll post a link. In the pic, where i have the red circles you can see that i have put screws, driven from the outer edge to inner; and where the blue circles are is where i later put hot glue. There's more pics in that album too. Sorry about the quality, photobucket resizes pics when they're too big.

So to recap:
Mesh: Higher guage gutter guard 3' sheet

Price: $1.25

I know this is all pretty simple, but i think its nice to outline it for the newcomers that may be scared to just tear stuff apart on their own.

Last edited by SVT ST PETE; 05/05/04 02:19 AM.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Here's some pics of my Stazzi SVT grills.

98 Lime Green SE w/SVT Kit, Projectors, CF Hood, 18" Rims, GC's, Shaved, System 98.5 Silver SVT #5737 Black FSVT Rims, MSDS, BAT Drop 85 Toyota PU Lifted 06 GSX R 600 Black/Silver My Rides
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
hahaha pete...i don't think costed is a word

Official CEG troll. '04 Mazda 3
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by proliphik:
hahaha pete...i don't think costed is a word

Merriam Webster:
3. past cost·ed : to estimate or set the cost of

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Elky Mesh is DEFINITELY the way to go:

GROUP BUY for it here

I got mine just the other day and still haven't had time to put it on, but for my '95, I plan to CAREFULLY cut out the stock black mesh in my grille, so the black surround of the grille is still around the perimeter, and I will mount the Elky Mesh in from the rear so it will look inset (similar to the above pic of the post-98), and it will look TIGHT when I'm done. Whenever I finish I will try to post pics, but I already know what it will look like in my mind.

The reason I chose the Elky Mesh is because it has a totally smooth surface ( flat metal with shear-cut slots in it), and is ALUMINUM which has the ability to get finely hand polished to look totally shiney like chrome. You can't polish the jagged diagonal stamped effect of the gudder guard tin. And gudder guard just looks too industrial for my taste. I like my car to look sexy clean

'95 CONTOUR SE -Enkei 16s -SVT wannabe -Dual escapes w/ 2 1/2" stainless tips -True LED taillight conversion -Audi Xenon Projector Retrofit -Mp3 deck, dual 10s
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
ere's a link to some pics I took while doing mine. They might help, but then again they might not....

LINKY...

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by bk4293:
ere's a link to some pics I took while doing mine. They might help, but then again they might not....

LINKY...

thanks for the pics, I have been wondering how to do the front of the grille, I just got a 99, and it was way different, so now I am going to do that today, only question was how did you get the two pieces seperated.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
I used a soldering iron to melt the plastic tabs. Or you could also drill them out I guess.

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard