Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
I'm compiling an FAQ for mesh grilles and work like CEGers input on this.

Please post:

- where you purchased your mesh
(if a website, please post the site)
- how much it costed
- any other info you think may be useful for the FAQ

Thanks!

Last edited by SVT ST PETE; 10/24/03 02:08 AM.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Black gutter guard from a local hardware store, chrome spray paint from pep boys, and paperclips to keep the grill in place. (drill holes into the tabs around the grill opening and pull the paperclip through the whole and then through the grill. Looks great. Very Cheap. No fading yet.

AIM...BKapp17 98 T-red SVT Steeda Gutted Pre-cats, no resonator Painted Dash Angel Eye Fogs Painted Chrome ring / headlights Looking for a t-red pre98 trunk lid
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I've purchased mine from Home Depot and it costed me 1.67 for a 6x3in sheet or something like that. It is that gutter guard stuff. Came in handy eventhough I cut my hand installing it.

Irfan Rahim irfman2000@yahoo.com 2006 Blue Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Former owner of a silver 2000 Contour SE Sport ATX
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
Lowes home improvement(no home depot where I used to live), $1.19 for gutter guard stuff. Held on with some wire

98 Contour SE - RIP 2/16/04 01 Grand Am GT - new ride -- 15.6@ 86mph stock I don't live in Houston and I don't drive a Contour anymore. Maybe I should change my name.
D
CEG'er
CEG'er
D
Originally posted by 2KSESport:
I've purchased mine from Home Depot and it costed me 1.67 for a 6x3in sheet or something like that. It is that gutter guard stuff. Came in handy eventhough I cut my hand installing it.

that stuff is deadly, i still have a scar on my finger from getting cut. i just the old grille out with a saw and tried to smooth it down best as i could, cut the mesh so that it would about about one inch hanging over all the way around, then i just bent the mesh around the backside, and secured it with couple screws. looks pretty decent for a 20 minute "i'm bored, lets mess with the contour" job.

*I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumbass www.fast4doors.com
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Price: Like $2-3 for a roll of gutter guard at Home Depot

Fastened with: Clear hot glue

Sidenotes: I did it on my post 98 mystique (on my old 99), and the procedure is a little different than contours. First theres 4 screws at the top of the grille when you open the hood--take those out, then to access the 3 allen screws below the grille, you need to carefully and gently bend the grille forward, and use one of those 90 degree bent allen keys (can't remember what size). It takes quite some time as you have very limited space to work with, but eventually you'll get them out. Then slide the grille back; once you get the grille off (for the way i did it) you need to cut out the vertical bars in the grille. Make sure the stubs are cut flush to the frame of the grille, so it looks good. Then all i did was slap some mesh in there slightly biggeer than the opening, and glued it on the grille in the back where you cant see.

*I am on the hunt for some better mesh however, because the gutter guard is kind of flimsy, and wears its shine quickly. Also when i find some new mesh, i'll probably use gel base super glue to make sure its extra tight, or figure something else out.

Also if you do use gutter guard, i would recommend putting a clear coat on it, so it keeps its shine. And if the spots where the stubs were cut flush bother you, then have your grille painted body color--to me, it doesn't stick out too much.

I have some finished pics here

Happy modding

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
ELKY mesh
$45 I think
I havent put it on yet, so I dont know any details. But I know other people have it so they can tell you.

98 CSVT Black Alpine CDA 7995 Memphis 1000D & Alpine MRV T302 2 Orion 12's HPP Rear Strut Bar
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
stazi's grill kit. i love it.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
someone give some info on how they did their pre98 grill

im interested...n provide pics.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
someone give some info on how they did their pre98 grill

im interested...n provide pics.

Hate to be this way,,,, but search

Here ya go.. Found it here, and did it this way..

Oh yeah, here's pics of my grill,,, HOME DEPOT is the place!! Nice limb huh?

00SEMTXMeshgrill,KKM&K&N,Fogsmodded,17"MotegiFF5's,SilverELgauges,BlueLEDinterior,Knaubered Trubendzw/magnaflowhttp://www.sl33stak.com FSVT Smart pump
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard