Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Contouraholic:
Could of lost a sparkplug. Puffing could be air in and out of plug hole.

A few people have had plugs blow out.

Good call.

According to the Ford dealer, I had it towed to, the #5 cylinder head hit the spark plug. They want $2200 to fix it. I'm getting it towed to someone that's been working on my cars for a few years now. He'll likely charge less, and I trust this guy to do a great job.

I'll give you guys another update when he's taken things apart and made sure that's the problem. He said if that was it, I'd be without the car for a week and a half to two weeks.

Make it idiotproof, and they'll make better idiots.
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
dude, if thats teh case, there goes your engine...*waves bye*
this is what happens when pistons hit spark plugs...

look on page 3 of that thread...see the plugs?

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Taynar:
Originally posted by Contouraholic:
Could of lost a sparkplug. Puffing could be air in and out of plug hole.

A few people have had plugs blow out.

Good call.

According to the Ford dealer, I had it towed to, the #5 cylinder head hit the spark plug. They want $2200 to fix it. I'm getting it towed to someone that's been working on my cars for a few years now. He'll likely charge less, and I trust this guy to do a great job.

I'll give you guys another update when he's taken things apart and made sure that's the problem. He said if that was it, I'd be without the car for a week and a half to two weeks.

ummmm that sounds fishy. Not knowing the Duratecs real well....it still would make me suspicious that all of a sudden, the piston just decided to raise itself off the crank enough to hit the plug...I would have your mech take a real close inspection of the plug and the threads in the head.

The other red flags. You weren't abusing the engine. You said you might have been going 35. I would have said, yeah sure maybe if you decided to do a brake stand and decided to manually shift the car, the rev limiter for whatever reason did not catch and you overreved and that could've caused that issue. Next red flag....no loss of power. If you had infact popped the #5 spark plug out of its hole or to a point where you beat it to death with the piston, you would at the least run real rough and it would sound like crap all the up in the rpm range.

I would ask your mechanic to check the DPFE and your EGR connections, plus, your precats and cat system for blockage.

Check those thing then do please report back on this thread. See if you can get pics too.

L8R
Rich

'04 Ecotec Cavi 140hp/150tq Fabbed intake. Header Coming, DRL's disabled, X-Drilled/slotted rotors coming....Man you really are fast. You were hauling a$$ when I passed you RB&LB causing problems in Huntsville
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
dont forget it would probably smoke too...

T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I'll mention those points about the DPFE and EGR to my mechanic when he calls. I'm still waiting for the tow truck to get to the Ford dealership to take it to him. I'll give him the web addy for this thread too. It'd prolly be better if he reads and replies to you guys than by going through me. I have a limited knowledge about cars. Basic maintenance I have no problems with, but once it gets to inside the engine I don't know enough.

There was never any smoke, or a burning smell. I could only smell exhaust fumes.

I was feeling uneasy about the dealership (Salem Ford, NH) telling me what they claimed was "definitely" the problem by only using an OBDII scanner. I'd have trusted them more if they actually looked at the bits inside to confirm.

Again thanks for the input guys. It's greatly appreciated. I'll know more once Frank actually gets the car to look at. I'll keep you updated.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Taynar:
I was feeling uneasy about the dealership (Salem Ford, NH) telling me what they claimed was "definitely" the problem by only using an OBDII scanner. I'd have trusted them more if they actually looked at the bits inside to confirm.

Sounds like the dealer wants to go for a Taynar butt ride.

Did they solicit you with their new car incentives while you were there?

What a buncha *&^(*^%

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
My mechanic, Frank, called me. He doesn't think too highly of Salem Ford now. He looked at it quickly. The spark plug for cylinder 5 is still connected the the wire, but not the engine. He said he know more when after he starting working on it, but said it was likely I could pick the car up as early as tomorrow. He said he will have to retapp the threads, and use a hela (spelling) coil. I'm hoping I got lucky.

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Good Luck! I hope it's a cheap fix.

Doug 2006 Mercury Milan V6 Premier Dark Blue Pearl Former owner of a 2000 SVT Contour
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Sounds to me like you just popped the plug out of the cylinder. The dealer is probably just assuming the piston hit the spark plug, causing it to pop out. I dont think the piston hit the spark plug. Good luck with everything!

redcontour.20megsfree.com/photo.html 98 T-Red SE Sport ATX ST200s Slightly Lowered Catless Y-Pipe Resonator Removed Clear Front Lenses Side Markers SVT Seats
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
My roommate (Elky) pointed out to me that there had to be a reason for it to pop out. If the plug wasn't at fault, then somehow a lot of pressure had to build up to make it come out. I'm hoping for an easy, cheap fix. I'll know more tomorrow from Frank .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard