Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Here's some info on my car first. 2000 Contour SE V6 ATX about 63,500 miles on it. Not a lot of mods to the car. Have an SVT exhaust with the resonator replaced by a glass pack. MAF adapter and a K&N RU-3530 air filter. Optimized throttle body. I used ford racing ignition wires (9mm).

Description of what happened. I was driving at about 35MPH (so I think the ATX was in 3rd), not accelerating. I heard a loud POP noise from low in the engine bay, towards the firewall. An air popping kind of noise. Immediately after that loud pop I could hear a repeated puffing noise. The frequency of puffs is linked to RPM. As I let off the gas and pulled over the puffing slowed down. I noticed that the steering wheel was shaking as well. After I popped the hood I could see the engine shaking more than was normal. I shut the car off, and let it sit for a few minutes while I looked under the car. I couldn't see anything spilling out. Or any debris from something coming off, under or behind the car. I started the car again, and the puffing was there right away. I was about 20 feet from the driveway to where I work, so I pulled in there. There is a slight hill up to the house (about a 40 degree slope). I didn't push down on the accelerator much at all. The car seemed to have just as much power as before. No struggling. I parked and checked the tail pipes. I could feel exhaust coming out both of the pipes. I'm not sure how hard the exhaust should have been coming out though.

My roommate, who is much better with cars than I, is coming to look at it later today. Any help or advice is greatly apprecited.

Last edited by Taynar; 10/21/03 06:36 PM.

Make it idiotproof, and they'll make better idiots.
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
sounds like a combination of an exhaust leak and a bad 02 sensor.

is it possible for an O2 sensor to blow out of the exhaust?

anyone...

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I forgot to mention. No Check Engine Light Coming on either.

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Check this thread. May be your problem.

Thread

Pablo Quintana 98 SE Sport Contour Honduras, Central America
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
If you put a rag in the exhaust pipes to constrict the flow, you can feel for an exhaust leak near where you think it may be.

You don't want to block them completely, or for a long period of time.

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I don't need to block the pipes to feel the exhaust leaking. When I looked to see where the hoses from the EGR went to, I could feel (and smell) the exhaust fumes on my face when I got close to the EGR. I'm not too happy about that. I'm hoping the Ford dealership I'm getting it towed to in a few minutes doesn't try to worm out of the 8 year/80,000 mile emissions warranty. I'll give you guys an update when I get more info from them.

Thank you for the help. I might still need more, hopefully not.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
from the other post and what you are sying here it kinda sounds like another post i read. someone said the EGR pipe broke off of the exhaust manifold, soory but I don't remeber the name of the post or were that post was

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I'm sorry to hear about that!

Keep us posted on what the outcome is.

Where did you get your car towed to?

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Could of lost a sparkplug. Puffing could be air in and out of plug hole.

A few people have had plugs blow out.

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Check that EGR tube real carefully. See if either of the two rubber hoses that connect to it popped off. Your DPFE could have failed. You'll have to crane your head & neck to get a good look at the entire pipe (a flashlight helps) that could be part of the problem.... never hurts to check

good luck

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard