Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#774679 10/19/03 01:33 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by mbb41:
I thought I saw an add for $27000 the other day. At that price I wouldn't think twice on taking one over a SVT Focus. I still think though that I would prefer a Turbo or SC SVT Contour just because of the handling and interior is preferable to the neon IMHO. Granted I haven't tested a neon in a few years now.

I was corresponding with a few local dealers, and one even tried to screw me on the price. He tried to play games with me until he realized, in his own words, that I wasn't one to be taken advantage of. This particular business manager even said that if we can screw the customer and charge over list, we will. Wow, what nice business practice. Needless to say, I made sure I did what I had to do so that they would refuse my offer.

Basically I signed for one, under list price, where as all of the rest wanted list or more. I was corresponding via email with one particular dealer and mentioned my intentions for the vehicle, showed them my web site, and they were game. Hence, no hassle, here's the price, would you like to buy now? That had to be the easiest purchase of a vehicle in my history of buying cars. Now, I think I mentioned before, I have signed but conditional. The dealer knows that they can sell every SRT-4 they get in the showroom, so they allowed for a condition on the agreement. Even when I was at these different dealers, they were young people looking at every SRT-4 that was on each lot.

#774680 10/19/03 03:27 PM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
IT'S A NEON!!!. I personally wouldn't care how fast the thing it it is still a Neon. I would rather save my money and buy something else in the future like a Cobra or something in that leaque. Just can't bring myself to buy a Neon.

Obviously lots of people don't agree because you see so many on the road, well most of the time they are on the road and not on the shoulder. Anyway, just my 2 cents here. Good luck if you do get it. And enjoy it while you can.

1998 BLK SVT CONTOUR #2980 of 6535 395,000(ish) km (and counting) SVTOA-TORONTO Chapter Director www.svtoa-toronto.ca
#774681 10/20/03 12:38 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
For a new car, you can't beat the price for sure. The best alternative I can think of is a 1.8T VW. It feels strong and can easy be stronger. And Yes the price is a lot for a Nean and Yes it is a neon. But not looking at the name and what it previously represented, it is a solid performing car right from the dealer from what I've read.

95 Contour GL 2.5L ATX Minor mods
#774682 10/20/03 04:28 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Having driven many SRT-4's (The joys of working for DaimlerChrysler R&D), I would have to say that it is tough to beat at that price... plus you get warranty!! Don't get me wrong.. I love my SVT.. and it would be tough to get me out of it.

The seats are really nice in the SRT-4, and the shifter works great (although it looks funny). The car has violent torque steer (as most FWD cars do), and is an all around fun car to drive. It also works really well in wet weather, although as Chris mentioned.. traction is a big issue in first and secind gears.

The spoiler would last all but a week if I owned it.. as it is quite large.. and unnecessary (I like the stealthy no spoiler look of my Contour). Other than that.. best bang for the buck in my own opinion. I may own one along with the SVT in the near future too.

#774683 10/20/03 08:02 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I am one step closer today. I am waiting for an insurance quote.

About the spoiler, I was thinking of changing it to the R/T or is it the SX2.0 that has the smaller yet similar spoiler?

#774684 10/20/03 08:57 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Hi Chris, I met you once, last year when I bought a set of rear pads for my 98 SVT.

Thought I would put in my 2 cents, though.

For less than $27K, the SRT-4 is a performance bargain. I don't care that it is a Neon, or an SX 2.0 - Chrysler could call it the Volare or Aspen for all I care. It's a hard-core automobile.

Here in Ottawa, just for curiosity's sake, I walked into a dealer's to see what they wanted for one.

They would not divulge the MSRP, only that the one they had coming in was "around" $30K.

Now that I know they start at $26,9xx, I know this particular dealer is looking at getting a little extra on the bottom line.

Thieves, I say. You might consider waiting 6 months to a year - you should then be able to get one of these puppies for less than $25K, brand new.

Anyhow, go for it is my take on this. If I had enought to swing the monthlies on an SRT-4, I would have waited and bought one. Instead, I make do with a decent ride in my SVT Focus. A little down on power, but man, can she hug the curves!

Good luck!
Ray

98 SVT Contour #1702 (silver) - traded in & missed alot! 02 SVT Focus #2686 (blue) - beginning to enjoy the 4-banger.
#774685 10/20/03 09:25 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Hi Ray, good to hear from you.

I received my price quote for insurance on the SRT-4 and it is doable. All neons, through my insurance company, are seen as the same, a 4 door sedan, no model nomenclature. In other words, I am going to be paying the same as for a base 4 door Neon. Yippeeeee.

#774686 10/20/03 11:34 PM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
That was what it was like when I first purchased my Contour with the insurance company, but it wasn't long afterwards that they readjusted it so be careful this may go up once this car becomes more popular and they realize what it is.

1998 BLK SVT CONTOUR #2980 of 6535 395,000(ish) km (and counting) SVTOA-TORONTO Chapter Director www.svtoa-toronto.ca
#774687 10/20/03 11:37 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by lauraq:
That was what it was like when I first purchased my Contour with the insurance company, but it wasn't long afterwards that they readjusted it so be careful this may go up once this car becomes more popular and they realize what it is.

Yup, I am aware of that too, as way back in the days of the first years of the Taurus SHO, I went 2 years before the insurance companies realized what it was all about. Happily, I moved onto a Tbird Supercoupe (which was already classified) before I got the big increase. I'll wait and see what happens with this one.

#774688 10/21/03 12:57 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by cawong11:
Happily, I moved onto a Tbird Supercoupe (which was already classified) before I got the big increase. I'll wait and see what happens with this one.

Another former Super Couper, eh? Chris, I had no idea!

As for the SRT-4, at Southbank Dodge here in Ottawa, they said that they had received one, but it had sold very quickly. I might not buy one, but I would like to drive one.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard