Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#773422 10/16/03 02:01 PM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
My IMRC is bad in the Contour... I am getting codes:
P1518=Intake Manifold Runner Control fault - Stuck Open.
P1519=Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open.

I would assume this means that the actual electronics of the IMRC are okay??? I am hoping it's just the cable, but I don't know for sure. I do know that I opened up the box and the cable is broken.

I have seen tutorials before on replacing the whole thing, replacing just the cable, and a full parts list (gaskets and so on) for taking the upper and lower intake off.

Can someone please point me in the right direction. What do I need to get parts-wise in order to NOT have to run to the store/dealership in the middle of the work? Also, do you think the IMRC electronics are bad, or is it just the cable.

BTW, I have pinned the secondaries in the meantime, just tired of the cold drivability issues and the fart-smell on the freeway. Thanx ahead of time, I really appreciate it!

Edit: Subject only

Last edited by horseydug; 10/17/03 11:55 AM.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
From home page, FAQ > Modifications > HOWTO, or click here

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
That's it! I honestly don't know why I couldn't find that... I was looking in that section forever... too much coffee and too jittery this morning I guess.

W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Can someone help me out with this part please?

Originally posted by WA2FAST:
My IMRC is bad in the Contour... I am getting codes:
P1518=Intake Manifold Runner Control fault - Stuck Open.
P1519=Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open.

I would assume this means that the actual electronics of the IMRC are okay??? I am hoping it's just the cable, but I don't know for sure. I do know that I opened up the box and the cable is broken.

Also, do you think the IMRC electronics are bad, or is it just the cable.

BTW, I have pinned the secondaries in the meantime, just tired of the cold drivability issues and the fart-smell on the freeway. Thanx ahead of time, I really appreciate it!

Also, I swear to god I hear detonation under hard accelleration... sounds like a high pitched grinding noise and is usually acompanied by black smoke out of the exhaust and then the car smells like ROTTEN EGGS afterwards... BAD.
Please tell me that this is going to go away when I replace my IMRC stuff.

Thanx guys!

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Black smoke usually means you are running very rich. The rotten egg smell can occur if unburnt fuel makes it to out the exhaust valves and down to the cat(s). This is very likely since you're apparently running rich. Might want to check for an obstruction in the intake air path and clean up the MAF sensor. Possibly a gummed up injector?

Also, are you sure the secondaries are tied open and not tied closed? The last time my car smoked black, the ECU was fried and I was running in limp mode.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Yup, I am 100% sure that my secondaries are pinned open, just checked them... besides, the car is a TOTAL slug when they are closed, so I would know.

This is why I am totaly confused as far as what to think... the computer is obviously in some sort of open loop state since the secondaries aren't functioning... it is evident that it has no clue what is going on because before it reaches nomral operating temp, I have major drivability issues... the car bucks, the power comes on and off real abrubtly and so on... when it reaches normal operating temp, it clears up, but I hear that detonation sound when I am on the throttle more than moderate-wot. I get smoke, then it smells like a$$ for a while and I have to roll up my windows and turn the vents on to clear it out.

The things that are mind boggling to me are the fact that it is showing different signs for everything. What I mean is I hear detonation which says that it's lean, I get the egg smell which says it's rich (but I have heard the other way around too), and I am blowing smoke when the detonation type sound occurs which says I'm running rich, but what the hell am I supposed to think?

I am only getting the codes listed above and I am hoping to god that it all clears up when I replace the IMRC.

Any other suggestions? Please, I need help here.

W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Anyone? Please...

#773429 10/17/03 11:50 AM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Does anyone have any suggestions here? Are you all just frusterated because these questions have been asked before, or do you just now know? Trust me, I have searched for this stuff... I spent the better part of a day doing so and came up with nothing that was usefull, that is why I am posting these questions.

#773430 10/17/03 12:51 PM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Another question... does anyone know wjere I can find the article or tutorial on the 'do it yourself IMRC cable replacement'? I would like to look into that before I replace the whole expensive IMRC part itself. Thanx!

#773431 10/17/03 12:53 PM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Perhaps reviewing your old thread on the IMRC cable would help! your old thread

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard