Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
  Everything was fine this morning, driving to and from church.  Perhaps a half hour or an hour after getting home from church, we went to a friend's house, and I noticed, as I started the car, that the ??O/D Off? light was on.  It stayed on when I worked the O/D button.

On doing some further testing, it seems that the transmission is shifting correctly through all its gears, including 4th.  In other words, it seems that the transmission itself is fine, and that the malfunction is just in whatever causes that light to be on.

I hooked up my Alex Peper OBD??II system to the car, hoping to see if there were any error codes or anything that might clue me in to the problem, and I found that it wouldn't connect.  The event log shows it cycling through every variation of the three standard protocols, and failing to see a response to any of them. (Normally, it gets a response, and connects on the first time it attempts the PWM protocol.)

Obviously, I suspect an electrical problem of some sort, but I'm at a loss as to what.  Where, in the electrical system, is there a poinjt where a failure would cause these two symptoms?

Anyone got any ideas?

Hyster E60XM-33 1996 Mercury Mystique GS, Zetec, ATX To email me, remove the string HatesSpam from this address:BobHatesSpam@Blaylock.to
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
The overdrive indicator lamp is triggered if the instrument cluster module receives a signal which is output by the powertrain control module (PCM). This is the case when the driver locks into fourth gear by activating the overdrive switch. The indicator lamp is dimmed if the light switch is switched on

Operation of the Instrument Cluster Module

?? Activation of the overdrive control light

?? Triggering the low coolant level indicator lamp

?? Activation of the selector lever locking device solenoid

?? Triggering the park position warning chime
Instrument module now if if can just find the schematic.

Paul
Well the module is behind what Ford calls footwell cover, that cover under steering column.
Bob do you have battery +12 on pin 16 DLC/OBD connector.

Last edited by F111D F; 09/29/03 01:09 AM.

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by F111D F:
The overdrive indicator lamp is triggered if the instrument cluster module receives a signal which is output by the powertrain control module (PCM). This is the case when the driver locks into fourth gear by activating the overdrive switch. The indicator lamp is dimmed if the light switch is switched on

Operation of the Instrument Cluster Module

?? Activation of the overdrive control light

?? Triggering the low coolant level indicator lamp

?? Activation of the selector lever locking device solenoid

?? Triggering the park position warning chime

At some point shortly after I started this thread, another problem developed.  It became very difficult to get the selector to move out of the Park position.  I've forced it, and probably broken part of the mechanism that is meant to lock it into park.  I see, from your description, that this same module controls the O/D light and the solenoid which I apparently had to break in order to drive the car.  I think you've told me, now, where the problem is here.

Quote:

I dunno.  I'll have to check some time soon.

Another symptom has developed.  My wife had to take the car to go to a meeting.  On her return, she told me that she had hit a dip in the road rather harder than she thinks she ought to have, whereupon the speedometer ceased to work.  I have verified that both the speedometer and the odometer are now dead.  Is there any way that this could be related to the other problems? is it possible that this module also has anything to do with those?

She also reports having seen the O/D light flicker in a random way.  This suggests to me the hope that there's just a loose electrical connection somewhere, perhaps in the connector to this module of which you speak.

Hyster E60XM-33 1996 Mercury Mystique GS, Zetec, ATX To email me, remove the string HatesSpam from this address:BobHatesSpam@Blaylock.to
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
It looks more and more like a wiring/electrical problem
(or PCM). All these things you mentioned get the signal
from the PCM.

Try reconnecting the PCM and move some wires around.
Ground problems can also cause several (seemingly unrelated)
electrical components acting up at the same time.

Tivadar

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Quick Bob grab up the family and head east, the big one's next!
earthquake
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by F111D F:

Alas, no, I do not.  Checking all the pins, (with the key on), I found approximately 5 volts on pin 13, and approximately 10 volts on pin 7, but no significant voltage on any of the other pins, including pin 16.

I'll probably find this answer myself, befor ethe day is done, but just in case: This is a 1996 Mystique Zetec/ATX. Can anyone tell me if this has a mechanical or an electronic speedometer, and how is the odometer activated.  I'm still not sure if this is connected to the original problem, but both the speedometer and the odometer are completely dead.

The original complaint, about the O/D light, has become intermittent, in a manner that very strongly suggests a loose electrical connector.  I'm hoping that when I fix that, the speedometer/odometer and OBD??II problems will be fixed as well.

I'm about to go in after the Instrument Cluster Module now.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
  Well, I've just finished a session of tearing into my car, and putting it back together.  I did not find anything that I could clearly identify as being the Instrument Cluster Module.  I did find a lot of connectors which I pulled, cleaned, and reconnected.  I found one connector hanging loose, with no apparent place to connect it:

Any idea what this connector is, or where it is supposed to be connected?

This is all in the area behind that cover under the steering column.

I do appear to have fixed the O/D light problem.  However, the speedometer/odometer is still dead, and, as mentioned before, there is no +12V on pin 16 of the DLC/OBD??II connector, and I assume that if I were to hook my Alex Peper OBD??II gadget to it, it would still fail to connect.

I still also have to force the transmission to get it out of Park.

Anyone have any further guidance and wisdom to offer me?

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
  As this has been left for over a year, I had the following three unresolved problems:
  • Speedometer dead
  • Odometer dead
  • OBD??II connector dead

During the past year, I am sure I checked all the wires, all the connectors, all the fuses, everything that I could, to no avail.

A few days ago, I got the car smogged.  In the course of getting the car to pass the test, the technician discovered that inside fuse #24 was blown.  He replaced that fuse, and this cured all three of the above problems.  The owner's manual says that this fuse is for the brake lights.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard