Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Re your rattle on start-up. Read FAQ - Common Problems from the home page. Also miles/week would be of interest, although I presume under 1k.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I have found that the 2.5's tend to leak around the timing cover. the oil leaks onto the right side crossmember near the lower control arm and puddles up in that area. It mixes with the road dirt and just clings to the frame .. but 3-4 qts would be hard to miss. pull your spark plugs and examine the electrodes to see if you are burning oil

99 SE 2.5 DuraTec , Mtx and faster than a speeding bullet "Modified? this little 6 cyl? Dont be upset because I beat you!"
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
i can gauruntee that he is...but my question is if its not smoking, why. i still think he should check his coolant for oil.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by shanedman:
i have a rattle when it starts and when you accelerate . it sounds like the valve train .

Pulling the spark plugs can tell 2 different stories... although he is not smoking, I have seen where oil was leaking into the combustion area and fouling out the plugs without smoking... the engines would run with a miss and tend to rattle from the lack of spark. I did not catch if shanedman mentioned how the engine feels... if it runs rough or smooth.

99 SE 2.5 DuraTec , Mtx and faster than a speeding bullet "Modified? this little 6 cyl? Dont be upset because I beat you!"
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
you have seen it? i dont think thats possible...when that much oil burns, there is smoke. end of story. i would believe a teaspoon a day not causing any smoke...but 3-4 quarts per week, from a 6cyl? (especially one as small as a 2.5L) no...if it is burning that much oil inside the engine, there has to be smoke...simple as that. now if it is leaking onto the block somewhere and then burning off, then it will smell funny but no smoke.

heres what you should do, drive the car around the block. dont drive like an ass, just do normal everyday driving. when you get home, get out and open the hood. look for fresh oil. also sniff around for an oil smell. then LET IT COOL FIRST! and get down by the tailpipe and run you index finger along the inside of the tailpipe. if it comes out oily, or with excessive soot, you are burning the oil in the chamber and attention should be paid.

but again, i do not think its pssible to burn that much oil, and not get smoke or at least a smell. and by now, his cat would be toast, so it should be smoking. it is my opinion, that you have blown a head gasket. but even that should emit a blue/black smoke. coolant burns white. oil burns blue/black, so when you blow a head gasket, oil and coolant mix together in the cobustion chamber and burn. and presto...blue smoke is created.

not to be a jerk or anything, i just dont think its possible.

Last edited by Zippy_Zetec; 09/27/03 03:31 AM.
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by Zippy_Zetec:
you have seen it? i dont think thats possible...when that much oil burns, there is smoke. end of story.

not to be a jerk or anything, i just dont think its possible.

You are correct about 3-4qts and no smoke but we are here to help give a direction for a repair. By pulling the plugs he could check for oil burning. but he also needs to check externally which I agree with you on... hard to say that he has a blown head gasket. Usually you either get oil/coolant into the combustion chamber (smoke), or just coolant but have overheating concerns, maybe running hotter than normal and have to replace the coolant, or oil leaks out externally around head/block mating surface which should be visable at the rate it is disappearing. I dont think you are being a jerk or anything though... you have your experiences and I have mine

L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
yes thats true, he should pull the plugs but i can just about gauruntee they will be coated in oil...but where the Hell is it going? this is baffling me...

L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
no i have blown 2 head gaskets and driven with both blown for 2 weeks and never overheated...but thats just me.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
usually isnt always....lol... maybe he needs a brighter flashlight

L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
hahaha. no ya know, i think its leaking onto the block and burning......its the only thing that makes sense.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard