Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#754528 09/25/03 05:45 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
That's for sure...but would I be safe w/ the OBX if I weren't planning on racing or otherwise beating the bejesus out of the car??? I only put <10,000mi a year on my cars...it would mainly be for an occasional show & a little help in the breathing dept.(along w/ the intake). I'm not looking for stellar gains by any means.

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
#754529 09/25/03 06:32 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
The OBX offers better performance than the stock header.
At the rate the OBX short shifter is failing,
and the fact even their pedals have broken,
I would think twice about thier header.
If you're going to spend all the money to make a header fit,
spend a little extra money on the header itself.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
#754530 09/25/03 07:44 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Considering it's only $100+shipping & it would retain the stock cat...the only fab on it would be the flange where it bolts to the existing remaining exhaust(3-bolt/4-bolt). It looks to be a pretty straightforward bolt-on piece. So other than obtaining the focus dipstick & tube, which I am sure it would be reasonably inexpensive, I wouldn't have anymore money in it. IF what has been said about the fitment is true... correct?

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
#754531 09/25/03 08:04 PM
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
I don't think the Focus dipstick tube goes into the oil pan in the same place ours does.
The flange you would have to change would be the one on the cat itself which alot of places probably won't touch.
There is also a sensor which goes into the exhaust manifold on the Contour which goes into the cat on the Focus.
Swithching the cat to a Focus cat isn't really an option becuase the pipe coming off the cat on the Contour comes off on the passangers side, and the pipe coming off of the Focus goes straight back.

If you're really looking for performance gains, I would spend the extra money and get the race header and just re-do the entire exhaust like Hector did.The header will give you a performance gain, but there still is the restriction of the stock cat and stock 1.75 inch piping.
If you're going for performance do it right the first time, or you'll be kicking yourself in the @ss for a long time!

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
#754532 09/25/03 08:23 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
As I said above, it's not really about performance for me other than the breathing benefits...as far as the flange goes I am aware of the cat flange needing to be changed, also the flange Could be changed to a 4-bolt on the header itself which wouldn't be a big deal either. It Should line up correctly w/ the existing cat in the 'tour. I wasn't considering a focus cat swap at all. The header can be drilled & tapped, or a boss welded to it for that matter, in order to accept the sensor(I have considered that also, but haven't put much thought into it, it seems minor). The reason this all seems easier to me is due to the fact that this can be done at my fathers shop rather than taking it to a muffler shop & dealing w/ bending pipes & unwilling muffler guys...not to mention the cost.

And this is not a track/strip car by any means, but I would like a little something extra w/o the cost. I gotta PM the guy that did this same header on his, I wonder if he's still on here...

#754533 09/25/03 08:34 PM
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
Originally posted by LoCoZ:
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
Find a ZX2 4-2-1 header and take it to an exhaust shop and have them make it fit.

word!

It will cost you.

like how much...

I think someone in this listed should just have a button list of everything you need to make the headers work..

I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I typed this...

but perhaps in the Newbs mod sticky you could make a button list of everything needed to make the headers fit.

On that note, I think I'll just wait for a contour specific header

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
#754534 09/25/03 10:44 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
Originally posted by LoCoChick:
I disagree. The information is there. I knew what needed to be changed when Hector put the header on--it's in the archives but it is there. Also, it's been mentioned recently--and now you have an even more detailed description.

methinks you had insider information

I guess I did too the as did EVERYONE on CEG when hector had the header done....

all I gotta say is SEARCH!!!!! the answers are out there

if people would actually search before they posted we wouldn't have 1 million threads asking the same thing and people would be able to find the stuff quicker.... ooh wiat what was I thinking that would require them searching before asking

2003 Subaru WRX some mods Even if you don't have the answer, you certainly have to admire the problem. aka ZetecRacing
#754535 09/26/03 05:32 AM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Damn NewBies.....they need to check out the archives.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
#754536 09/26/03 05:39 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
Originally posted by LoCoChick:
Originally posted by fingas:
I say screw the whole lot of you search nazis, i have probably read 50 pages of header posts and this is what i learned:

Those who have the headers are fond of hinting at what needs to be changed with out being specific.

Those who have teh headers are not very likely to give you an answer besides it will have to be modified to fit and thats about it.

I disagree. The information is there. I knew what needed to be changed when Hector put the header on--it's in the archives but it is there. Also, it's been mentioned recently--and now you have an even more detailed description.

methinks you had insider information

You think wrong. I didn't start talking to Hector until February of this year. His header had been on for a couple of months. That's why I said "ARCHIVE".

'95 GL White I've got mods.
#754537 09/26/03 05:43 AM
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
My header was installed June of 2002. The old CEG went down in August of 2002.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard