Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Marty, that's quite a list of stuff to do.
A few tips for you:
1) Kiss your old springs and struts goodbye. You'll love the new setup.
2) If you've got the resources (mainly time, air tools or a dremel, and LOTS of Berryman's carb cleaner) port match the UIM to the LIM. I think it's worth it. I did the clean/port job w/ a friend. While I cleaned the LIM he ground out the UIM's ports to nearly gasket size. Start w/ a big grinding bit, finish with a nice honing bit to smooth it out. Hand sand paper if you wish.

Good luck w/ everything else. With any luck, I'll see you again soon. (PA apps are in so if the schools like me I get an interview somewhere between Dec. and Feb. School starts in May.) Maybe next time I'll have my car.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I've been away from the board for awhile...Has anyone between Olympia and Eugene done Derk's port matching job yet? And Shotwell, you're back in town? I don't have the tools or a garage, so if I wanted to get my intake manifolds pulled and cleaned, I'd want to get ahold of you and Chris if you are around, maybe throw in a TB optimize then too, and THAT would be a PERFECT time to try out Derk's port grinding. And does anyone have an idea of the time it takes to pull the exhaust manifolds for a mystery mod? So just how busy would you and Chris want to be? I'd love to reset my PCM after all of those were done and sample the butt dyno.

About going for a ride I MIGHT be available either Saturday, 9/27 or 10/4 but do not know for sure, but getting work FINALLY done on my ride is a goal too.

Derk -- if you get into school up here, we'll have another local bad influence. There goes more mods money.

If only Terry Haines had his shop in Portland, maybe I'd have the Quaife in by now...

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
Derk -- if you get into school up here, we'll have another local bad influence. There goes more mods money.

I've been very bad lately. I've come to the realization that I will need a loan no matter what. So...

Originally posted by PDXSVT:

maybe I'd have the Quaife in by now...

I ordered a Spec stage 1 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, and a Quaife. (I'm having tranny issues anyway)

I figure I better get the modding done while I have the time and money. As soon as I start school again I'll become a money-conserving student. So, I better mod while the modding's good!

Manifold cleaning and porting took about 5 hours w/ two of us working. We didn't rush, and I'm sure it could be done in much less time. However, if it's really dirty, it's going to take a lot of Berryman's and more time.

TB optimizing should be 1 hour tops. If you have feeler gauges handy, they were helpful in lining up the throttle plate. Marty, how long did it take you to do all your intake mods?

Taking the exhaust manifolds off should take a few (2)hours. Count on at least an hour to get them back on (the learning curve is fast ). Make sure you have long (I'm talking 24") extensions for your ratchets. I can't tell you how long it'll take to gut them, though. Look in the classifieds and see if anyone is selling theirs.
Good luck, and have fun.
I hope to see you guys up there.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Hey-

Derk, I did my TB mods over several days, so I'm not sure exactly how long it took, but it was probably about 4-5 hours. I dunno, I'm a perfectionist, so it may not take others as long. My TB plate and shaft look nothing like the one in the How-To, so part of the time was spent figuring out how to do mine versus the one they showed. Plus, I forgot to put the extra turn on the springs when I reassembled it, so I had to tear it apart again... DOH! The throttle was REALLY touchy when I first test-drove it!

Anyway, I took some material off of both sides of the throttle shaft and sanded them down. I kinda rounded the ends where they go into the housing, so as to not create a stress riser by having them square. I think I took enough material off of the housing while cleaning it so that the plate no longer closed completely, so I filed a little bit off of the hard stop. I sucks since there's no screw head or anything on it! I wet-sanded the plate with like 1000 or 2000 grit paper, and wet-sanded the inside of the housing with same.

It took about an hour or so to remove the air intake snorkel from the fender, since I had to pull the battery and fusebox to get to one of the screws. I may have been able to get it by pulling just the fusebox, but I got tired of screwing with it, and just pulled the battery too.

I haven't cleaned the manifolds yet, but that's next. I may optimize the ports too -- that doesn't sound too difficult -- just time-consuming!

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard