Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
...Alfa Romeo Milano Verde?

It's not about the numbers, or looks. I mean, it's just a 3.0 V-6 with around 184 hp out of the box, but it's RWD, perfect front-to-rear weight distribution, and that sweet Italian motor. Oh, and very unique. The design is, um, controversial, to say the least, but it grows on you.

I love my Contour, but no matter what I do, or how much I spend, it will always be a nose-heavy FWD.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I would trade your 96 SE for it.

I would not trade a 3L modded SVT for it.

Won't you still run into mod problems..as in lack of (US offered) them? Or producers?

Seems to me a better route to go would be a 3 series BMW...

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by mcgainer:

Won't you still run into mod problems..as in lack of (US offered) them? Or producers?

The aftermarket support is probably as good if not better, because it's "seen" as an enthusiast car. The "Alfetta" platform dates from 1972, so plenty of stuff out there. Lots of people put 3.0's from the 164 into their 2.5L Milanos. Getting the Verde means spending a bit more up front and starting out with 3.0, LSD, and stiffer suspension. Easy engine mods can push the hp up to SVT levels, and some guys are installing turbos. Wheels are a bit of a problem, what with a 5x98mm bolt pattern (you thought 4x108 was rare!), but surmountable with custom drilling.

As for BMW, well, yes, I like them, especially the E30 M3s (the first, last, and only true M3), but they (M3s) command a premium. Other Beemers are nice, too, but they are sooooooo common.

In fact, my mod goals for the Contour are pretty modest. I'm not at all limited by the market, since pretty much everything I want is already out there. It's just that, well, like I said. As much as I love my Contour, as good as it sounds, no matter what I do, it will be FWD and nose-heavy.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Here's an eye opener..."In a European Car review, the Milano Verde was compared favorably to the Porsche 944 for performance"

From here: http://www.brtnet.org/alfa/milano-info.html

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Would it be a daily driver?

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yes, I would.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by LI-SVT:
Would it be a daily driver?

Yes. That's why I'd have to sell the Contour. But I have a very short commute, so I don't put a lot of "utility" miles on my car. (The "smile miles" are another story.)

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I wouldn't have it at any price. YUK!

To me, it looks like a cross between a Chevy Corsica & a Volkwagon Rabbit (insert vimmiting critter here).

Ungh... feeling .... light-headed... must-not-remember...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I wouldn't have it at any price. YUK!

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard