Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by tttc:
I use Mobil one and also K&N filter but I still change my oil every 3,000.

Same here.

Well except I change my oil every 4 months. Before winter, after winter and once in the summer. (roughly every 3-4k miles)

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Do you have any other information about good filters besides a webpage that was last updated in 1999? That was 4 years ago.

2004 Subaru STi Blue - Bone Stock Join My Army - Kings of Chaos http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=7b3r94st
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Here's something a little more recent...

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart6.htm

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by bullion:
Damnit. I didn't know that FRAM oil filters sucked. I guess it is too late to do anything about that mistake until it is time to change the oil again.

Not really, just unscrew the filter and put on a motorcraft. THen add 1/2 quart of oil. You will only have a little spillage.
Easy.

In the past on other cars that recommend 5K-7K mile oil changes I would run the oil 6K miles but change the filter once at 3000 by itself and then again when the oil was changed.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
The Fram tough gaurd is a very good filter, only drawback is the paper end cap which really isn't that big a deal. It has one off the best filtrations (98% SPE, syntetic glass media) out there and is very reasonably priced.

"FRAMĀ® Tough Guardā?¢ filter with the SureGripĀ® feature

If you're doing a fair amount of off-roading or tow a trailer frequently you need to pay special attention to your engine's cleanliness and use products formulated for these tough driving conditions.

FRAMĀ® Tough Guardā?¢ filter protects your engine when operating in such tough conditions as:
Extreme hot or cold
Stop-and-go traffic
Unusually dirty roads
Heavy loads and towing

How Does it Work?
The FRAMĀ® Tough Guardā?¢ oil filter features a number of advanced characteristics including:

1. Screen-over by-pass valve: Provides back-up filtration for the times when the filter might become clogged in extremely dusty or dirty conditions or when oil flows through the by-pass valve during cold start-ups. The screen provides added protection and insurance against larger, problematic particles of dirt until you change your filter!

2. Synthetic glass and cellulose media: The most advanced feature is the filter media which is a combination of synthetic glass and cellulose uniquely formulated for top-rated efficiency for the life of the filter. Tough Guard filter has even more synthetic glass and cellulose than FRAMĀ® Extra GuardĀ® filter for an even greater life and efficiency with an SPE of 98%.

3. Silicone anti-drainback valve: This design allows the filter to retain oil when your vehicle is turned off so your engine benefits from a filter full of oil at startup. Constructed of silicone, the gasket remains flexible and continues to perform even in extreme heat.

4. PTFE-coated exterior gasket: Reduces friction making it easier when removing the filter. "

The regular orange fram (extra gaurd) is the one that sucked in the comparisons. And don't waste money on the ddouble gaurd as it's a normal filter with snaake oil PTFE in it.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
B
bullion Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Is is really that big of a deal that I used a Fram extra guard (model# PH2) oil filter this one time? I mean, I know for next time to use a K & N, but will the Fram filter that I got do an okay job till the next oil change?

98' Contour SVT #607 of 6535 05' Mazda 6s Audio/Visual enthusiast because it's one of the many things I went through 4 years of hell for
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I think you'll be ok, just dont let it happen again!

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
If it says FRAM it is a POS oil filter: tough guard, extra guard, or otherwise.

There are FAR better choices out there. Hell the stock Motorcraft is light years better then most all available options (including ANY FRAM!)

'nuff said.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
'nuff said.

You sure?

Chris G. ~ 98 Mystique LS ATX
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ScottK:
The Fram tough gaurd is a very good filter, only drawback is the paper end cap which really isn't that big a deal. It has one off the best filtrations (98% SPE, syntetic glass media) out there and is very reasonably priced.

"FRAMĀ® Tough Guard™ filter with the SureGripĀ® feature

If you're doing a fair amount of off-roading or tow a trailer frequently you need to pay special attention to your engine's cleanliness and use products formulated for these tough driving conditions.

FRAMĀ® Tough Guard™ filter protects your engine when operating in such tough conditions as:
Extreme hot or cold
Stop-and-go traffic
Unusually dirty roads
Heavy loads and towing

How Does it Work?
The FRAMĀ® Tough Guard™ oil filter features a number of advanced characteristics including:

1. Screen-over by-pass valve: Provides back-up filtration for the times when the filter might become clogged in extremely dusty or dirty conditions or when oil flows through the by-pass valve during cold start-ups. The screen provides added protection and insurance against larger, problematic particles of dirt until you change your filter!

2. Synthetic glass and cellulose media: The most advanced feature is the filter media which is a combination of synthetic glass and cellulose uniquely formulated for top-rated efficiency for the life of the filter. Tough Guard filter has even more synthetic glass and cellulose than FRAMĀ® Extra GuardĀ® filter for an even greater life and efficiency with an SPE of 98%.

3. Silicone anti-drainback valve: This design allows the filter to retain oil when your vehicle is turned off so your engine benefits from a filter full of oil at startup. Constructed of silicone, the gasket remains flexible and continues to perform even in extreme heat.

4. PTFE-coated exterior gasket: Reduces friction making it easier when removing the filter. "

The regular orange fram (extra gaurd) is the one that sucked in the comparisons. And don't waste money on the ddouble gaurd as it's a normal filter with snaake oil PTFE in it.

Complete advertisement here.....Frams have been proven to be near the bottle of the barell for high performing engines...and i believe our cars fit into that catagoy....one of my frineds with a 2.5 liter used the tough gaurd filter only to come to realise that filter didn;t filter...casue it had no filtration material in it.....go figure huh....the way he found out was that after 3000 miles his oil was black and watery...he poped open the filter with a dremil and low and behold..nothing inside..Now that may not be a good reason to open up the filter...but it was good enough for him....fram will never see a dime of my money again!!!!!

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard