Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
3000 miles. Extra protection is the advantage.

K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
I love this post, big time Too bad I can't find that one post where the guy had his oil tested and IIRC, the oil had alot of life in it still and the mileage was like 8K. Also the oil was synthetic, just don't remember which one. Meguiars and Mobil 1, what a beautiful pair, the new "M&M"

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
That article that someone posted about the longevity test with Mobil 1 is good enought for me. They decided to finally end the test at 20,000 miles...

I'm more comfortable about running it till 7500 miles in my car, or till the oil monitor in the buick hits 0% (~9000 miles)

either way, it seems I'm using about half the oils expected life. I would change less often due to oil filter life...

98 GL sport (V6 MTX) The Durable Duratec? - (DMD, Metal impeller WaterPump, Synth & Stinky in the tranny)
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
I love this post, big time Too bad I can't find that one post where the guy had his oil tested and IIRC, the oil had alot of life in it still and the mileage was like 8K. Also the oil was synthetic, just don't remember which one. Meguiars and Mobil 1, what a beautiful pair, the new "M&M"

You mean this one with at Paradise Garage Paradise Garage Oil Life Study

Or just looking at my Geo Prizm with 8300 miles on Mobil 1 in 120 days...

http://tlcc2000.dyndns.org/Oil_Analysis/ <-- My web server seems to be off the air right now, so it may be a while before you can look at these...

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
We are back up

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
So was that at an interval of 7500K then? If so, are you saying you could've went another 12.5K then? Did you run Mobil 1 in your car from the time it was new? We had a 96 Geo Prizm for 5 years, bought it new, and I ran regular oil in it until it hit about 50K and then added Mobil 1 w/o any problems and I left it in there for some time, let me tell you. In an unrelated note, that was a great car, the only thing that went bad on it in 5 years and 95K was the battery and altnerator. We tuned it up at 40K and I did filter and gasket changes on the tranny at 30K and 60K, then had the entire tranny flushed at 80K with this T-tech machine. I'm sure its a great car for whomever owns it right now

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I ran the oil 8292 miles, you see two samples of the same oil.

I purchased this car used in April, and wanted to see if I could go 8K plus on an oil change.

I feel confident that I can go 10-12K on Mobil 1 in this car.

However, keep in mind that I did that 8300 miles in 120 days, and will probably drive 2250-2500 miles each month.

People driving shorter intervals may not be able to go 10K miles if it takes a year to get there.

One other thing, I changed the oil filter after the 3161 mile analysis. I used a plain Purolator for the first interval and replaced it with a Purolator PureONE for the last 5k miles.

The car got "Iffy Lube" changes for the first 106K miles of it's life. I have all the receipts from the previous owner.

FWIW,

TB

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by BOFH:
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:

You mean this one with at Paradise Garage Paradise Garage Oil Life Study

Or just looking at my Geo Prizm with 8300 miles on Mobil 1 in 120 days...

http://tlcc2000.dyndns.org/Oil_Analysis/ <-- My web server seems to be off the air right now, so it may be a while before you can look at these...

TB

TTT

oil study updated

2,000 miles on amsoil now. '

Looks like amsoil is at the high end of the viscosity spec for a 5-30 while mobil1 is at the low. Amsoil appears to use ALOT more magnesium in it's forumlation (detergent). After 2k miles the amsoil TBN is down to 5.1, mobil1 kept above 5.5 out to 10k miles.

Next update in Fed.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Without getting it tested its tough to say, but a good rule of thumb for most synthetics is 7500 miles, but I know it can go even longer depending on how and where you drive and what oil filter your runnin'

L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
I didn't have time to read all 12 pages of this thread but I have 5W-30 Mobil 1 in my Duratec. I had the oil tested by the lab at around 6500 miles since the change. They said my upper cylinder metals were above average. When I tried 5700 miles for the next change they said the numbers came down and the Mobil 1 formulation had changed from the first oil sample but I was still above average. They recommended 5300 between changes. They said the average change interval for the 2.5L was 5400 miles so they didn't think the oil was at fault.

Is Mobil 1 monkeying around with the formula so they can compete on price with Syntec?

'98 LS MTX
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard