Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#723310 08/18/03 05:56 AM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
This is very sad and almost pathetic, especially for a car that is only four years old. I have taken primo care of this car ever since I got it, but yet it looks like it's been totally abused.

*The Power antanna is broke internally, as soon as the car is shut off I have to run frantically to the rear and twist the base for the antanna to go down before the motor shuts off.
*The car has numerous squeeks and rattles, even on mostly smooth roads
*The plastic molding around the windshield wipers is turning a foul nasty color
*The steering wheel is pealing apart, the coating stuff on it.
*The pea gravel coating/covering along the very bottom of all four doors is getting lines in it and starting to bulge out, looks terrible
*The exterior paint has chips and spots on it where its impossible for rocks or other objects or road debris to hit

Again, this car is barley 4 years old.

1999 CSVT-Black 15.8@89mph Driver for hire. PM me.
#723311 08/18/03 06:29 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
where do u live? that could play a big part of the problems, such as weather, road conditions, etc.

my car is a 96 and the paint and interior are pretty much immaculate. perhaps take some leather conditioner to the steering wheel and some back to black to the black trim pieces.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
#723312 08/18/03 01:14 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Aren't you the same guy who posted this???

Quote:

BTW: I AM SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE WHINING AND COMPLAINING ABOUT THEIR CARS, PROBLEMS, AND PERFORMANCE ON THIS SITE. ITS CONTOUR ENTHUSIAST SITE NOT FOR CRYERS AND WHINERS WHO REGRET BUYING THEIR CAR AND ABSOLUTELY HATE FORD. ARENT HAPPY? DONT LIKE FORD? SELL UR CAR, BUY SOMETHING ELSE, AND GET OUT!!!
I'M SICK OF THIS $HIT. THESE THREADS ARE FILLED WITH 70% FORD HATERS AND 30% REAL SVT ENTHUSIAST WHO WANT TO LEARN MORE AND SOLVE PROBLEMS THEY ARE EXPERIENCING.
I WISH ALL THE MOLES IN HERE WOULD LEAVE!

2000 SVT Contour -- SOLD! New car coming soon... 1980 Triumph TR7 -- Needs a new home...
#723313 08/18/03 01:40 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'll trade you. I've give anything for cosmetic problems rather than the mystery mechanical problems my car has. (No acceleration. Long story short, Ford charged me $85 to give me bad advice; now I'm getting a "real" mechanic to look at it. And this hasn't been the first problem. ).

#723314 08/18/03 04:20 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Yes if your hands persperate at all, then your steering wheel will dissolve rapidly. That's why I got a steering wheel cover right when I got my SVT. Problem solved. And you can get some vinyl polish/protectant to solve the problem of your black trim pieces. There is always a solution, or someone who gives up too easily. lol

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
#723315 08/18/03 08:41 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 00SVT:
Aren't you the same guy who posted this???

Yeah, well, my attitude has changed since I recently found out my car is worth $7,200-8000, when I still owe $10,000 on it. I have so much negative equity in this car its disgusting. I am still a huge Ford fan, Countour fan, and CEG'er, but I am very dissapointed in what's happening to my car, which is not quite four years old yet. I love my car even with everything thats broke and falling apart, I was just shocked at the rapidly declining value of these cars, and the minor problems just make it depreciate even more. If I don't sell this car now I will be stuck with it forever. It might be time for an SVT focus?

#723316 08/18/03 08:58 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M

Yeah, well, my attitude has changed since I recently found out my car is worth $7,200-8000, when I still owe $10,000 on it. I have so much negative equity in this car its disgusting. I am still a huge Ford fan, Countour fan, and CEG'er, but I am very dissapointed in what's happening to my car, which is not quite four years old yet. I love my car even with everything thats broke and falling apart, I was just shocked at the rapidly declining value of these cars, and the minor problems just make it depreciate even more. If I don't sell this car now I will be stuck with it forever. It might be time for an SVT focus?

The SVT Focus will lose value just as quickly. If you want a car that depreciates slowly, get a BMW.

Dave Keller
1995 Contour SE
1999 Contour SVT

#723317 08/18/03 09:07 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by BURNTU2:
If I don't sell this car now I will be stuck with it forever.

Join the club, just get the paint retouched, get a LOUD sound system to drown out all the embarassing squeaks, and ignore everything else. . .

Funny story, I'm driving HARD on a smooth street, pop my '98CSVT into third and this things HITS me on my face. . .what was it?? Well, turns out the little vents on next to the "change" holder above the HVAC controls fell out because of my lighnting quick shifts. . .welcome to FORD. I love the design of the contour, but if I could design it all over again I would've done the following:

(1) Used better leather on the interior,
(2) Used better plastic on all the surfaces and MADE sure it all fits flush,
(3) Seam welded the entire frame to the chassis so all those bumps and rattles would've pop put 50+k later,
(4) Had bigger Wheels Wells,
(5) Better paint?? Hello, why is it falling off now?
(6) Better oil pump. Better Water Pump.
(7) Bigger radiator or more external vents to "cool" off the air clogged engine bay. . .

Suneil

#723318 08/18/03 09:40 PM
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ssmumich00:

(1) Used better leather on the interior,
(2) Used better plastic on all the surfaces and MADE sure it all fits flush,
(3) Seam welded the entire frame to the chassis so all those bumps and rattles would've pop put 50+k later,
(4) Had bigger Wheels Wells,
(5) Better paint?? Hello, why is it falling off now?
(6) Better oil pump. Better Water Pump.
(7) Bigger radiator or more external vents to "cool" off the air clogged engine bay. . .

Suneil

IMO the leather has aged well. I have done minimal care to it (maybe 1-2 leather care treatments in 3.5 yrs, 40K miles) and it looks pretty much new, even has a faint new car smell. A friend of mine with a 99 328i recently commented that my seats had aged better than his. And the steering wheel causing problems?? Not heard that before.

I agree plastics could be (much) better, dash rattles are a pain..mostly fixed by dash repair kit though..

Honastly not noticing any rattles related to chassis...seems stiff as new. Minor flex around sunroof going up driveway at angle only sign of weakness...but no worse than new. Even the 99 BMW flexes a bit here..

Paint = no problems, minor rock chips on hood and a few small door dinks, most of which did not chip paint.

Basically, dash & door panel trim a bit cheap looking but no worse than most American cars of the time at that price. The Germans are clearly much better at nice interior trim. Otherwise, pretty well screwed together for a 20K car from 99.

Also, used car prices are low in general..not just Fords/Contours. BMW/Honda/toyota better than average but you can find plenty of 3-4 year old 30-32+K 3 series BMWs available for around 20K. I was shopping them at that time & can say that they were not budging much off sticker and has signif higher maintence & insurance costs. So, I would have lost $10,000-12,000 this route...the SVT went for $18,400 and could probably bring $8,000 or about $10,000 lost. Higher % but same or less bux lost. Cars do suck as an investment but at least this one has been FUN...

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
#723319 08/18/03 09:41 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by mrspindlelegs:

The SVT Focus will lose value just as quickly. If you want a car that depreciates slowly, get a BMW.

Dave Keller
1995 Contour SE
1999 Contour SVT

Thats very true about the focus SVT losing value...however I feel the build quality is greatly improved since the Contour days and over all the car is much more durable than our contour SVT.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard