Print Thread
Page 25 of 28 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 28
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by ghodge:
Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I'm trying to figure out how you got the entire shift assembly out of the car before you disassembled it. How do you disconnect what looks like a rod or cable that goes to the front/bottom of the shift assembly?

Or is it as simple as just pulling up on the whole thing once I get it unbolted from the bottom of the car?

Thanks,

Remove the 4 nuts from under the car (see my pictures) after you pull the heat shield out of the way (you don't have to take it off). Take a large screwdriver and gently pry off the 2 shift cables (1 on the right side and 1 in the bottom of the housing). Where the 2 cables attach to the shifter housing there is 2 round pieces that are just in a slot...pull straight up on them and they will slide out. Now just pull the whole shifter assembly straight up and out of the car. Then follow my previous instructions to start and you can use the instructions that came with the shifter for the rest. It's pretty easy. When you put the centering spring back on make sure it is on either side of the black plastic tab on the housing or it will not work and the rod will not seat in properly for the gray spring clip to snap into place...you will see.

Good luck...hope that got it

Scott

Scott 2000 Contour SVT #1464 Mustang Dyno: 171.6hp/145.3lb Dynojet Dyno: 171.1hp/148.9lb 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo T/A "Indy 500 Pace Car" #1376 of 1550 All Original, 46k with a few mods 2002 F150 SuperCrew
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
That plastic clip, with all the fingers is a motha. Mine was all beat up when I tried to re-install it. I drilled a 5/64 hole in the end of the gold shaft(where the plastic thing goes)and put a cotter pin in there to keep the shaft in place.It's not that hard when you get in there. His pictures are very nice,mine looked the same,only I used 1/4 plexiglass to make my new plate,and siliconed the edges to keep out the elements.

Rod

-2000 SVT-Silver Frost/Midnight Blue #1,382 of 2,150 Born on 01-07-2000 It's got stuff -2003 Lincoln Navigator-Ultimate Silver/Midnight Blue -1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500-custom paint,CHROME
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
To Y2KSVT, Scott, Ray,myfastse, and everyone else,

Thanks for the help. I almost have things working on my 2000. I got everything assembled enought to try shifting and lo and behold, I can't move the stick from driver side to passenger side, just back and forth. I took off the four torx screws and pulled off the plastic piece and tried shifting. The stick would go left to right but the whole rubber covered nylon assembly would rise up.

When the kid goes to sleep I'm going out to look at things more closeley, but does anyone have a clue as to what could cause this? I've got the centering spring in and I think it's installed correctly. Could that be the source of the problem?

Thanks,

George Hodge New: Volvo S60R Old:2000 SVT Silver Frost 1188/2150 DMD, 75mm Pro-M, HPP rear strut tower bar Aussie 24mm sway bar (with boxed in subframe) BAT European Handling Kit, Brullen Y-pipe Performance Ford spherical bearing end links
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
I don't know if the cable that connects to the right of the shift tower was "kinked" or something but it decided to start moving. So currently the shifter is in minus the reverse lockout stuff. Right now I'm trying to fix my ebrake boot since I broke off all the tabs.

Thanks again all.

George Hodge New: Volvo S60R Old:2000 SVT Silver Frost 1188/2150 DMD, 75mm Pro-M, HPP rear strut tower bar Aussie 24mm sway bar (with boxed in subframe) BAT European Handling Kit, Brullen Y-pipe Performance Ford spherical bearing end links
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Any updates?

Let us know.

Eric

Just a Plain SE. AKA Big Country I maybe path914's B**** now, but wait until he needs his clutch done. We will see WHO is WHO's B**** then!
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Eric,

I don't seem to be very mod lucky these days. I got the shifter in and buttoned up except for the pin that keeps the reverse lockup piece from turning. I was trying to hammer it in when it fell off into never never land. I temporarily have it zip tied until I can get to the hardware store and A-team something together.

As far as driving impressions, I definitely like the short throw. The thing I don't like is that now I have increased effort getting the shifter into gear. I am running without the centering spring and the Steeda helper string. Could this be the cause of the increased effort? I do miss how the shifter used to just slip into gear.

I'm also wondering if the increased effort has anything to do with momentarily not being able to move the shifter sideways as I posted in a previous post. Is there some sort of cable adjustment I can do?

Thanks,

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
ghodge, some thing is not right with your install. It is much easier to flip it into gear without the spring.

1998 T-Red SVT #957 Born 5/14/1997
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
I was afraid someone was going to say that. Let the fun begin.

Could the heat shied somehow be causing some binding. I bent it up trying to get it out of the way. Maybe I messed something up bending it back into place.

Also, rather than disconnect everything at the time, I was able to lift up the shift tower enough to pull the plastic and foam piece from the bottom of the shift tower. Could this be a source of the problem?

#720212 09/30/03 06:02 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
For those of you who don't routinely blueprint your engines and have the prowess to tear through this install, here are some words of advice. . .

1. I started at 10pm. Not such a good idea, you need some descent lighting in there to get anything done, and with my bloody windows tinted, I felt like I was in the middle of Big Bend national Park at 2am with no flashlight.

2. Don't need to take the entire console apart, like it suggests taking the cigarette lighter, etc. apart. There are two tabs up front and two screws in the back. Don't need to worry about torx bit here either.

3. Be gentile with the ebrake. The tabs will pop off - and on a side note, HOW DID YOU GUYS REATTACH THE TABS??? Superglue, silicone?? What? So, pull the ebrake up all the way, and if you have a removable head unit for your stereo, take it out so you don't scratch it up accidentally.

4. Use an electric drill with a torx 30 bit to get the stock bolts off. Also, before you do this, disconnect the tabs, it's easier than I thought, just stick a THICK screw driver inbetween and yank the opposite way of the direction your pulling the shifter.

5. Get neoprene or latex gloves. Luckily I had some from lab, so I was set, but it's a goppy, gooooopey, nasty mess.

6. When taking apart the stock shifter, the centering spring is the little thing between the plastic housing to the right of the shifter and the actual aluminum casing. Take it off. I installed the whole thing with it on wondering where this magical spring that every speaks of falling off and guess what, if you're careful in taking everything apart, the spring will not come out unless you take it out. Don't lose any of the parts either.

7. Here's the KICKER, and it caused me to reinstall the whole damn thing a third time. Yes, THREE bloody times. If you plan on using the MOMO shift knobs that have a screw that seeds into the actual shifter, well, the stock plastic shifter ain't gonna cut it, it's too tall. So, you'll have to go with the aluminum one they give you. And you'll have to take apart the leather boot, that's what the zip ties are for. The directions don't point this out. So I sat there all cocky and confused wondering why I had to zip ties and a metal thing left in my kit. So I took it all apart, and installed it again. OH BUT WAIT, it gets better, that little metal pin to helps hold the new aluminum shifter attachment in place, you need to install that BEFORE you attach everything to the car. Otherwise, you'll spend an hour like me trying to figure out how to get a hammer in there to get the damn metal dowel in. I ended up using a zip tie through that little hole. I gave up trying to be a perfectionist at around 12am.

8. Once everything is in place, you're set. I was too lazy and didn't give enough of a [censored] to actually reglue the tabs on the ebrake. And I didn't have any superglue.

First impressions????

Well, I am short. Being 5'10", I felt like a little boy trying to drive with the thing.

The shifts are crisp, short, and very precise. I had a subtle grinding from 2-3 before probably because of some play in the stock shifter, which is now gone.

I can easily see one getting some sick 60' times with it, it seriously reduces shift time and effort. And it matches a fidanza flywheel perfectly, because at around 6.5k when the revs are flying, the flywheel is very light and lacks the rotational inertia to keep spinning, and the QUICK shifts from this steeda short shifter are fast enough to keep the engine up in that power band, while your mind still thinks it's a gear below it's in

PS, the order it goes so you know where the riser plate sits:

(a)Stock plastic thing where the torx bolts screw into,(b) stock metal braket, (c) riser plate, and (d) aluminum housing (from bottom to top). It may be obvious, it was to me, but it's worth mentioning. . .because I'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff and I like knowing EVERYTHING before I kill an evening . . .

#720213 09/30/03 03:02 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Just a little note about the metal pin that holds the aluminum peice on. Hopefully everyone noticed that one end is smaller than the other (not to call everyone dumb or anything...). Also it went on pretty easily for me.. I just stuck the smaller end in by hand, enough so it wouldn't fall out then took some pliers and just pushed it on in.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
Page 25 of 28 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 28

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard