Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
In the how-to it mentions replacing the fuel pressure regulator while doing the cleaning if needed.

I'm doing the cleaning tomorrow. I ordered the regulator from napa and it was supposed to be in on friday but it's not in yet. If it's not in by tomorrow, do I really need to replace it? Do most ppl replace it or not replace it while doing this?

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Since you have to pull the UIM to get to the regulator, it would be a good idea IMO to just do this all at once. Wait until it comes in, especially since you have it on order already. Pulling the UIM is not all THAT complicated but something I wouldn't have wanted to do twice, especially in the span of just a few days.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Fuel pressure regulators don't give much trouble. I would not replace it just because you are working near it.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Mine went out on me at 50k. I didn't find out until I installed my fuel pressure gauge and found pressure prematurely bleeding off to 0 within 2-5 seconds of fuel pump and engine shutdown. I say if you have it already ordered, why let it sit in the box when you are going to be right there? But this is all up to your own personal judgement. I've given you my thoughts and Big Jim has given you his, but ultimately it will all boil down to what you can or want to do.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Do you have a return or returnless system?

No regulator on returnless. (Though there is a pressure sensor).

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by Contouraholic:
Do you have a return or returnless system?

No regulator on returnless. (Though there is a pressure sensor).

WOW! That is a very good question/point. I don't know. What did 99s come with?

Also, this item is totally returnable/refundable I already talked to the guy about that, cause if it's not in and i decide to go ahead with out it he'll give me my money back. My whole reasoning was just that I'm gonna be right there and it's only $30 so why not. I don't want it to go and do this all over again when i just did it.

But now I need to know, do I even have a fuel pressure regulator???? Won't I feel like an idiot if I don't.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Ok, I checked it mine is return style. So I have one. I guess if it comes in I'll use it, if not then i'll get my money back.

Just out of curiousity are there any symptoms of a fuel pressure regulator going?

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Well, what I do remember was that the car took longer to start than usual, especially noticable after the car had just been driven and was supposed to fire right up but took a few seconds. Never noticed any horrible engine performance such as rough idle or anything. I'll look in my manual tonight and see if I can't find more on diagnosis, but I think most of the diagnostics are made with a fuel pressure gauge.

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard