Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#716715 08/10/03 02:12 PM
S
slynky Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am buying a 2000 Ford Contour and the only problem I've seen so far is a blinking red light on the dash. What is this for? Is it bad?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
It's the PATS (Passive anti-theft system) light. You know how your car key is like five times the size it should be? There's a computer chip in the key that allows that key (and that key only) to start the car. If somebody copies your key but without copying the chip, they cannot start your car. The light can be a fun thing too .. when I had the Contour I liked to pretend it was an alarm system LED so my friends wouldn't dare go near my car when I wasn't around.

Your manual can tell you the different sequences of this light. When it blinks and the car is off, everything is good. It can also aid you when programming a new key to work with your car.

S
slynky Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you very much. You wouldn't happen to know where I could get a manual would you?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Hmm, that's harder. You'll have to buy one, I don't think there are any free PDFs of the Contour manual on the web. I suggest eBay or maybe visit your local junkyard if it has many 'tours (the one around here has two rows dedicated to Probes and 'tours ), maybe they'll have a manual.

EDIT: .. and I'm not talking about the "repair manuals" they sell on eBay (although those are helpful too) ... I'm referring to the real manuals you get when you buy a new car. Try to see if, whoever you're buying the car from, still has the manual lying around the house (if it's a private sale). If it's a Ford dealer, you might be able to bug them into getting one for you if you won't buy the car without it, haha.

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by slynky:
Thank you very much. You wouldn't happen to know where I could get a manual would you?

www.helminc.com Great site for manuals!

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by slynky:

Go to http://www.qualitycareservice.com, then under "Maintenance" click "Glovebox Manuals" and enter the year/make. You'll get a .pdf Acrobat version of the Owner's Manual that you can print out.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Pats....

99 Blk SE Sport 2.5 CD4E Euro Focus SVT Wheels 5 % tint Mesh Grilles w/indiglo ford KKM intake filter FMS 9mm wires Superchip Signal mirrors Fog lamp mod Dingless A6 sidemarkers Duals SVT springs/struts

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard