Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I searched this topic and noticed that doing this helps with horsepower and helps the engine last longer. How would I go about doing this? Right now I want to try getting my newly replaced engine working 100% before I continue on with the mods. So far resonator removed and custom air intake with heatshield. Also, how would I clean out my air intake and throttlebody? Lastly, would replacing my plugs and wires with better ones effect my engine noticeably? All of your info and tips is apreciated.

ALSO...I hear people with svts can chirp second gear. Can't seem to do that on mine. Is this a sign I need to do the above maintenance or get a new clutch? Thanks again.

AIM...BKapp17 98 T-red SVT Steeda Gutted Pre-cats, no resonator Painted Dash Angel Eye Fogs Painted Chrome ring / headlights Looking for a t-red pre98 trunk lid
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by Kappa2006:
I searched this topic and noticed that doing this helps with horsepower and helps the engine last longer. How would I go about doing this?

A how-to located in the how-to's off the main page.
UIM/LIM Rebuild

Right now I want to try getting my newly replaced engine working 100% before I continue on with the mods.

Good man....Getting the car running 100% or close to it is the best thing - it also helps get the max out of the money you spend on your mods.

Also, how would I clean out my air intake and throttlebody?

Air intake is easy to clean - blow off all dust - spray with K&N cleaner - rinse off - oil up. The kit can be purchased at Autozone in the K&N section for ~ $15 bucks. The throttle body instructions will be in the How-to link above.

Lastly, would replacing my plugs and wires with better ones effect my engine noticeably?

That depends. If their is nothing wrong with the current plugs and wires you have in the car, then probably not. The difference would not be too noticeable - however, it doesn't hurt to replace them if they're due. If the wires are shot to sh*t and the plugs are crap and your car is hesitating like a bastid...then yes - you will see the car idle smoother, run smoother and overall - it will be noticeable.

All of your info and tips is apreciated.

You're welcome.

ALSO...I hear people with svts can chirp second gear. Can't seem to do that on mine. Is this a sign I need to do the above maintenance or get a new clutch? Thanks again.

you're probably not shifting fast enough. yes - i can chirp second and third occasionaly - but i don't do it all the time. Seeing how you just replaced your engine - I would enjoy the engine for now - otherwise you'll be replacing the tranny as well.

Hope that helps.

later.

Hugo ------ 98 SVT - 53k mi - SOLD 04 Mazda3 S 5-Dr
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I can chirp them easy (w/o powershifting) with only 170hp, and 195 profile tires, good technique should let you overwhelm your wider (probably) tires with 30 more hp. Also, I have a brand new (7k) clutch, what shape is yours in? And how do you feel about the no-res sound? I'm thinking of putting on the SVT dual exh, but taking out the res might come first, and I've hear it sounds too raspy for some. I like that my car is a sleeper, but a **little** growl would be nice.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Get some Berrymans B12, and pour it into the manifolds when they're off the car. For the throttle body, a spray can of Berrymans B12 works quite well at removing the gunk built up.

For spark plugs, you are best sticking with the original Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. You have several oprions when it comes to plug wires, although the factory wires are generally pretty good.

... and my car will do a little chirp into 3rd if I shift right don't do it all the time though, unless you plan on rebuilding your transmission soon.

K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
How can you tell what condition your clutch is in? Any good tests? I was thinking getting a new clutch anyway since there are a little over 50k miles on the one right now. Thinking about the spec stage 2 clutch. Seems like it would be a good investment.

hondas_for_breakfast...I personally like the sound of the svt exhaust without the res. Its only raspy for a minute on a cold start up and the drone isn't too bad. I can deal with it. When the car idling, you can hear a rumbling noise from the exhaust. Much better than with the resonator. highly recommended.

AIM...BKapp17 98 T-red SVT Steeda Gutted Pre-cats, no resonator Painted Dash Angel Eye Fogs Painted Chrome ring / headlights Looking for a t-red pre98 trunk lid

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard