Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#715868 08/08/03 11:57 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have been scared to ask... But as I read about the SVT Contour (I am the owner of a 98.5 SVT), it seems as though 70% have had new motors installed by Ford. I have had my car since new, and it has been perfect. Was their a recall, or are some owners just harder on their SVT's?

Thanks

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
SVTBrian,

The Oil requirements of the Duratec were miscalculated by FORD.
Rousch did testing on the Duratec Engine and found out that 5.8 quarts of oil is not enough.
At 5000 rpm there was barely 1/2 quart of oil left in the oil pan.
They suggested that, based on their findings, you run your engine
with 1/2 quart additional oil, or 6.3 quarts of oil.

So when I change my oil, I give my mechanic 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30,
with a new K&N HP-2010 filter.
When I get the Contour home, I add 1/2 quart of oil to the engine.

I've got 99k miles and no knocks or problems.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
S
OP Offline
S
Pete~

Thanks!!! That is good news, I for whatever reason have been filling my oil to the max fill line since new (so I am almost their). I wonder why Ford never sent out some sort owners manual supplement explaining the situation.

Thanks again.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by RoadRunner:
SVTBrian,

The Oil requirements of the Duratec were miscalculated by FORD.
Rousch did testing on the Duratec Engine and found out that 5.8 quarts of oil is not enough.
At 5000 rpm there was barely 1/2 quart of oil left in the oil pan.
They suggested that, based on their findings, you run your engine
with 1/2 quart additional oil, or 6.3 quarts of oil.

So when I change my oil, I give my mechanic 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30,
with a new K&N HP-2010 filter.
When I get the Contour home, I add 1/2 quart of oil to the engine.

I've got 99k miles and no knocks or problems.

Interesting....I wonder why the Ford dealer, licensed to sell Rousch Mustangs in my area, insists on putting in only FIVE quarts of oil?

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Ford must have at sometime said something to dealers that would listen becuase McRee Ford has been putting in 6 quarts when I take my SE in for an oil change. The level on the dipstick is always over the line after an oil change.

Keith W 98.5 SE Sport ATX Lt. Denim Blue Other car '02 3.0 Duratec Taurus wagon Want some real political discussions? Try www.freeconservatives.com
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M

Quote:

Interesting....I wonder why the Ford dealer, licensed to sell Rousch Mustangs in my area, insists on putting in only FIVE quarts of oil?

You better start putting more oil in my friend. The manual itself calls for 5.8 IIRC. Not to mention the fact that you probably burn some off.

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
no - no engine recall was made on the SVT Contour.
70% seems exaggerated as well....I know it was just a guess, but that's too high.

Anyway - continued good luck with your car.

Hugo ------ 98 SVT - 53k mi - SOLD 04 Mazda3 S 5-Dr
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by SVTBRIAN:
I have been scared to ask... But as I read about the SVT Contour (I am the owner of a 98.5 SVT), it seems as though 70% have had new motors installed by Ford. I have had my car since new, and it has been perfect. Was their a recall, or are some owners just harder on their SVT's?

Thanks

Don't worry man... Listen to the folks about putting more oil in (I put in 6 myself) and you won't have any problems unless you downshift into second going 75 or something like that...

Me = Someone with a 98.5 SVT who puts it up to redline on a regular basis with 73,000 miles and it is still as strong as it was when new.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Ed98.5SVT:
Originally posted by SVTBRIAN:

Thanks

Don't worry man... Listen to the folks about putting more oil in (I put in 6 myself) and you won't have any problems unless you downshift into second going 75 or something like that...

Me = Someone with a 98.5 SVT who puts it up to redline on a regular basis with 73,000 miles and it is still as strong as it was when new.

70% is way out of whack. Probably less than 7%.

Me = 98.5 SVT with 132,xxx miles, redline several times per day, pulls like a train.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
163,000 miles. Hit the rev limiter frequently. Still runs strong. No oil consumption between oil changes. I have always used 6 quarts on oil changes. The oil starvation issue seems to be from extended high rpm blasts on sweeping right hand curves. Keep the oil level up and avoid high speeds on the sweeping long turns and you should be fine.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard