Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#712991 08/05/03 07:35 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
I just changed the TSS sensor and the bang is still there but a little beter than it was. Of course I pulled the fuses and relays in the power distribution box for the ECU. What else can I do?? Will disconnecting the battery would have been a better route??

Irfan Rahim irfman2000@yahoo.com 2006 Blue Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Former owner of a silver 2000 Contour SE Sport ATX
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
all I did was disconnect the battery and once pull the fuses... it seemed to make an instant differance.

97 T-Red LX ATX pre98 CF SVT front,SVT rear/side skirts FSVT wheels Custom Front Ford Logo (body Colour) 35% tint all around with sun visor WP With Metal Impeller? Elky Grills CTA Intake CTA Custom Dual Exhaust
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
If you pulled the fuses for long enough - 10 minutes just to be safe, let the PCM learn for a few days. If its still un-acceptable come the weekend, then the next step is to:

1. Re-check your fluid condition - nice & red & clear. If not, or if it smells burned, change it.
Note: Use Mercon approved fluid only. DO NOT use Mercon V.

2. Re-check the fluid level - if its a little high, drain off a few ounces of excess fluid. BE CAREFUL!! Fluid level too low will burn up your clutch packs in the automatic tranny. Drain off EXCESS, do not let it get low.

I'll be changing mine this weekend because it is not a nice clean red & has a slight burned odor. I also plan to add an additional tranny cooler to keep the internals nice & happy.

Hope it works out for you.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
I had the fuses out for like an horur becuase I had to do something that's why it was so long and I changed it and took it for a spin and it's still kinda there. I thought the PCM learns the new setting right away instead of a few days.

Irfan Rahim irfman2000@yahoo.com 2006 Blue Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Former owner of a silver 2000 Contour SE Sport ATX
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Remember that the top mark on the CD4E dipstick is the cold level (engine running) and the bottom mark is the Hot level (after 20 minutes of hwy). The CD4E has a thermoplastic valve that opens when hot and allows fluid to flow the side pan to prevent it from coming out of the dip stick tube. Thatā??s what causes the reverse logic on the stick. If you are at the low mark when cold you donā??t have enough fluid.

If it still bang shifts after the battery disco, you should have an OBDII enhanced scanner connected and look at the CTL line pressure. It should be 0 to say 30 PSI (it is an active pressure that controls shift feel) during typical driving. It will go as high as 50-70 under heavy load and will be 40-50 at hwy cruise. If you see it locked at 90PSI, or higher then 30 PSI during at normal 1-2 or 3-4 shift let me know.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Like I said haven't disconnected my battery. I pulled the fuses which kind of the same thing as disconnecting the battery. I hope my tranny is not going.

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
I think we all need to go back and read Chris Hightowers original post on this subject... here ya go!

Note that Chris says in the first paragraph, "...I would notice that occasionally, after I let off the gas around the time the tranny was supposed to shift, the line pressure would still be high, and there would be a big BANG while it shifted..."

Alright.

2KSESport, if you are driving normally and your ATX shifts harshly from 1st to 2nd, then you have another problem.

As for the PCM relearning everything, lets keep in mind that the PCM will adjust to your driving style. So lets say that you drive aggressivly all the time after resting your PCM and I don't. Your car will drive differently then mine. Now with that known, if you drive aggressivly, your PCM will want the ATX to operate at a higher fluid pressure then mine. Not alot higher then normal, but enough.

Also, the PCM actually keeps records of how you drive! That would mean if one day you started to drive normal (that would be nonaggressive driving) the PCM would take note of this and makes changes to it's "operation instructions"(if you will). Example - When I first bought my Mystique, I drove it like mad. Where as my wife would seem to baby it. Because of this the tranny, to me, never really seemed to shift properly. Once I sold my work van and started working out of the car, it learned how I like to drive. A few weeks after I started working out of the car, my wife took it on a 400 mile trip. When she returned home she said that the tranmission was acting "sort of funny". I hoped in and everything seemed normal to me. Never had another problem for about 8000 miles after that, at which point I blew the drive chain and differential!

So... To sum it all up, take the advise given thus far. If things still don't feel right, disconnect your battery and let it sit for atleast 20 minutes (you letting it sit for 1 hour was fine) and take it easy for about the first 50 miles or so. Slowly start to introduce your normal driving style and go from there. If it still acts up, take it to a tranny shop and let them look it over.

Good luck!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by unisys12:
I think we all need to go back and read Chris Hightowers original post on this subject... here ya go!

Note that Chris says in the first paragraph, "...I would notice that occasionally, after I let off the gas around the time the tranny was supposed to shift, the line pressure would still be high, and there would be a big BANG while it shifted..."

Alright.

2KSESport, if you are driving normally and your ATX shifts harshly from 1st to 2nd, then you have another problem.

As for the PCM relearning everything, lets keep in mind that the PCM will adjust to your driving style. So lets say that you drive aggressivly all the time after resting your PCM and I don't. Your car will drive differently then mine. Now with that known, if you drive aggressivly, your PCM will want the ATX to operate at a higher fluid pressure then mine. Not alot higher then normal, but enough.

Also, the PCM actually keeps records of how you drive! That would mean if one day you started to drive normal (that would be nonaggressive driving) the PCM would take note of this and makes changes to it's "operation instructions"(if you will). Example - When I first bought my Mystique, I drove it like mad. Where as my wife would seem to baby it. Because of this the tranny, to me, never really seemed to shift properly. Once I sold my work van and started working out of the car, it learned how I like to drive. A few weeks after I started working out of the car, my wife took it on a 400 mile trip. When she returned home she said that the tranmission was acting "sort of funny". I hoped in and everything seemed normal to me. Never had another problem for about 8000 miles after that, at which point I blew the drive chain and differential!

So... To sum it all up, take the advise given thus far. If things still don't feel right, disconnect your battery and let it sit for atleast 20 minutes (you letting it sit for 1 hour was fine) and take it easy for about the first 50 miles or so. Slowly start to introduce your normal driving style and go from there. If it still acts up, take it to a tranny shop and let them look it over.

Good luck!

Mine does the same thing except it took it awhile to no lnger do that annoying ass 1-2 bang shift crap. It took mine a week or so but of corse im not the only one drivign my car either.

97 Mystquie GS - I4 ATX died at 168K 94 Pontiac Crap AM SE - 2.3L I4 5spd 2002 Mazda Protege5 - 2.0L ATX

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard