Next Thread
Print Thread
#711769 08/04/03 04:07 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Has everybody checked out the "hot" April specials at Performance Fords and SP Motorsports???

And the BAT special that are 1/2 no longer available!!!

Wow...I feel so lucky to have a car that's so well supported by these companies....

Yeah..in case you're wondering...that's sarcasm...

#711770 08/04/03 04:22 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
The main reason why a lot of companies don't support the car is because the Contour/Mystique community is notoriously tight-assed. Sure, you have a few guys who will spend a lot of $$$$$$ on their car, but if I had a nickel for every person on these boards who said, "Man, I wish somebody would come out with ________ for our cars", and then when it becomes available those same people say, "That's too expensive!!! No way am I gonna buy it...", I'd be a rich mofo. Couple that with an out-of-production vehicle and most companies will shy away. Not necessarily out of a hatred for the car, but out of a business decision and nothing else.

BAT has been a great resource for a long time. Maybe some of the stuff they had to clearance out was for a reason of, oh, I don't know... NOBODY BUYING ANYTHING???!?!?!?!?! They're not gonna keep stocking stuff that doesn't move. You don't buy stuff, you ain't gonna have it available for long.

Just my no-flames-directed $.03...

2000 SVT Contour -- SOLD! New car coming soon... 1980 Triumph TR7 -- Needs a new home...
#711771 08/04/03 05:28 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by 00SVT:
The main reason why a lot of companies don't support the car is because the Contour/Mystique community is notoriously tight-assed. Sure, you have a few guys who will spend a lot of $$$$$$ on their car, but if I had a nickel for every person on these boards who said, "Man, I wish somebody would come out with ________ for our cars", and then when it becomes available those same people say, "That's too expensive!!! No way am I gonna buy it...", I'd be a rich mofo. Couple that with an out-of-production vehicle and most companies will shy away. Not necessarily out of a hatred for the car, but out of a business decision and nothing else.

BAT has been a great resource for a long time. Maybe some of the stuff they had to clearance out was for a reason of, oh, I don't know... NOBODY BUYING ANYTHING???!?!?!?!?! They're not gonna keep stocking stuff that doesn't move. You don't buy stuff, you ain't gonna have it available for long.

Just my no-flames-directed $.03...

Oh, this crap again.

The phenomenon you describe is not limited to the Contique community, IMHO. The difference is that for a more popular platform, 1% of the enthusiast body represents a much larger number.

Yes, we have a few people, just like everywhere else, who ask for stuff, and then balk when the reality of price hits them.

I can't speak for PF, but BAT does a lot of special purchase stuff, where they negotiate a bulk purchase of old OEM Euro parts and then sell them off under the "specials" header. Limited quantity, and all that. Nothing to do with getting rid of stuff that nobody wants. Or, they have to reduce a price to something reasonable so it will sell. Why would I buy "Euro" front A-arms at $175 each, when I can get them from Bill Jenkins for over $50 less? Or, they decide to carry stuff that turns out to be something less than a market leader. Who wants a gas cap that generates a CEL? Why buy brake fluid from BAT, when SPM carries the stuff I really want? etc, etc, etc.

I'm glad they're there, but this "community" is no more tight-assed than any other.

Oh, I loved OPMD's excuse for pulling out of Contique support. They offered one item--the "morette" headlights which, by that time, we all knew wouldn't fit--and received no interest. Duh!

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard