Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Class Action???

1998 SVT Contour E1, Black (Mine) - Winter 3.0 Project 2004 Sentra SE-R SpecV (Wifes) www.SuperHawkForum.com
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I'm getting spider cracks on my hood trunk and roof on my black 99svt. I keep my car IMMACULATE but somehow i ge stone chips on the side of my doors. This honestly has to be the worst factory paint job i've ever had.

98 3.0 svt: Sold
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
If you do a search on paint defects you should get all the data you need. To sum things up,

Most of the dark color tours and mysts built in the KC plant have spider cracks on the hood and other places where it gets hot. IT IS NOT AND NEAVER CAN BE BLAMED ON ACID RAIN UFOS OR DRIVING HABITS. It happens because the paint is applied too thick (A FACTOR DEFECT) and thick paint can??t flex with the changes in temperature. So it cracks, or in paint shop terms ??checks?. Some people have been able to get parts of their cars repainted (if under 3-36k warrantee) but most have been handed the Acid rain line and sent on their way.

Class Action?. Forget about it, Ford lives for that. I tried it. All I do now is show everyone the great Quality Job One paint job, smile, and point to my wife??s shinny new Subaru (it could have been a Ford for want of a little paint).

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Well, if it was Acid Rain or ANYTHING else besides a SHODDY paint job then the cracking would not be ocurring UNDER the clearcoat.

1998 SVT Contour E1, Black (Mine) - Winter 3.0 Project 2004 Sentra SE-R SpecV (Wifes) www.SuperHawkForum.com
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Another black SVT with a pathetic paint job here too. Mine is actually too THIN in areas! Like, the core support and most under-hood areas, inside door openings, the door handle cut-outs on at least the driver's side, and several other places. I also have the cracking thing happening on at least the horizontal surfaces. I have good-sized chunks of paint gone (~1/4-3/8, possible larger) from the lower door panels from, I'm assuming, rock chips. Small little nicks I could see, but friggin' rock chunks?!?. Gimme a break. This has to be one of the sorriest factory paint jobs.

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
And I alwasy thought it was just me...glad (sort of) that I'm not the only one.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
My understanding is Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are all using the same paint, primarily DuPont. I don't know if thats who they were using back in 1998, but blame the paint manufacture, not ford.

1999 CSVT-Black 15.8@89mph Driver for hire. PM me.
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by BURNTU2:
My understanding is Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are all using the same paint, primarily DuPont. I don't know if thats who they were using back in 1998, but blame the paint manufacture, not ford.

I'm not so sure on that. I've only heard of SVT's doing it.

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Also keep in mind that black (the color with all colors in it), absorbs the most light energy from the sun's rays, therefore it gets the hottest in the sun. Therefore it will be more suseptable to damage than any other color when exposed to the same amount of UV radiation. Also factor in that we've been destroying the atmosphere more in these last 2 decades than any other time before in existance, and you can see why it's so tough to make a cost effective paint and application technique that can withstand more than a few years of this UV exposure and still look good. Ford REALLY only cares about if the car's condition makes it through warrantee. Anything beyond that and they figure it's all on you now

'95 CONTOUR SE -Enkei 16s -SVT wannabe -Dual escapes w/ 2 1/2" stainless tips -True LED taillight conversion -Audi Xenon Projector Retrofit -Mp3 deck, dual 10s
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
ProudSVT

I hate to burst your blue oval but it??s not Dupont??s paint or the paint itself that??s bad. It??s that the paint was Applied too thick at the Factory that causes it to crack. The inability of the paint to flex with changes in temperature causes the cracks. This is the blame of Ford not anything or anyone else.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard